Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 MTV EMA's in Belfast

Options
  • 02-03-2011 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Oddysey Arena, Belfast - 6th November 2011
    One of the biggest events on the music calendar is to be staged in Belfast, generating millions of pounds for the local economy.

The MTV European Music Awards are to be held at the Odyssey Arena on Sunday, November 6 and could see pop icons like Madonna, Lady Gaga and Jay-Z grace the red carpet in the city.

Confirmation that Belfast has won the bid to stage the star-studded, glitzy bash came during a meeting of the City Council last night.

Members agreed to contribute £320,000 with further funding to be drawn from a number of Stormont departments, Tourism Northern Ireland, NI Screen and commercial sponsors.

Belfast, which was pitched as an “edgy” location for the global event, staved off competition from Warsaw, Paris and Istanbul.

Last night Conor Maskey, chairman of the Belfast City Council’s development committee, which helped secure the successful bid, described the achievement as “no mean feat”.

Hosting the European Music Awards ceremony is part of a three-year strategy to put Belfast on the map as a “world class music destination” by the council and tourism bosses

The economic impact will also be massive.

When it was held in Edinburgh in 2003 the return on investment was £11.9 for every £1, and in Copenhagen in 2006 the return was £8.13 for each pound.

Last year Hollywood A-lister and Desperate Housewives star Eva Longoria compered the ceremony in Madrid which was attended by pop sensations Rihanna, Katy Perry, Ke$ha, Shakira and Miley Cyrus.

Earlier this year the Belfast Telegraph revealed that scouts from MTV had visited a number of key venues including the Odyssey and the North Coast to test the province’s suitability for staging the major event.

Belfast’s bid was boosted by a successful “MTV Presents....” gig in the Waterfront Hall last September featuring Mark Ronson.

This was part of a week-long series that helped generate £1.6m for the city’s economy.

This year there will also be a week of smaller concerts to showcase Belfast and provide a platform to profile the Belfast music |industry.

This will include a Belfast music coach tour, Belfast music exhibition at the Oh Yeah Centre, the creation of one-off unique gigs, the promotion of Belfast’s music listings website Belfastmusic.org, the promotion of Belfast’s music iPhone application as well as international showcasing and marketing of Belfast’s musicians.

The first MTV European Music Awards were held in Berlin, four years after the wall was taken down.

George Michael performed Freedom surrounded by supermodels, including Naomi Campbell, and Bono received the Free Your Mind Award on behalf of Amnesty International.

Edinburgh, Stockholm, Barcelona, Rome, Dublin, Munich, Copenhagen and Liverpool have also held the awards in previous

Belfast Telegraph

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Great for the city anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyscience

Does anyone know where you could try and win tickets by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Good for the city but I haven't seen a good EMA since 1996

No, this performance was never meant to happen....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Ah memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AwesomeSauce

That is amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Good for the city but I haven't seen a good EMA since 1996

No, this performance was never meant to happen....

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Ah memories.
    That is amazing!

Story behind that is that Metallica were due to play the new single 'King Nothing', and had rehearsed that in the afternoon.
    After a lot of bull**** from the MTV Producers, telling them to do this, do that, they were pissed off enough to have some fun.

Hence, in the live show, beamed to millions, they played So What/Last Caress.

Only a few people (Band & Crew) knew they were going to do it, and it was removed from all subsequent airings of the show.

I've seen them play So What live many times before but NEVER have i seen James pronounce the words so clearly and with such anger :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Tomorrows Sunday Life reckons Justin Bieber is presenting. Justin bloody Bieber. Link

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

What's wrong with that?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

What's wrong with that?

Whats good with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Whats good with it?

quite a few people think she's hot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Whats good with it?

The fact that it's a pop music event and they've got one of the biggest pop acts around to host it?

Coldplay, Jessie J and LMFAO announced to play. (RHCP already announced.)

Any word on how to get tickets?

Any word on how to get tickets?

I'm pretty sure it's Competition winners only

Snow Patrol will play a free gig at Belfast City Hall on Sunday 6th November as part of the MTV EMA's. US singer Jason Derulo will also play the event. Tickets will be available from the Belfast Welcome Centre from 8am this Sunday on a first-come, first-served basis.

New York – October 17, 2011. The Red Hot Chili Peppers have announced that Ulster Hall will be the location of their performance for the MTV EMA. The band they will play a special 60 minute set with one song being broadcast within the 2011 MTV EMA. Door will open at 5:00PM and there will be no admission after 5:40PM. Show begins at 6PM sharp.

Tickets for this special 2011 MTV EMA event at the Ulster Hall will go on sale on sale Saturday, October, 22nd at 9AM from The Ulster Hall Box Office ONLY. Tickets are £42.40 Sterling including booking fee and there will be a MAXIMUM 2 ticket limit per person.

Hmmmmm, SnowPatrol = Free, RHCP=£42.50 + fees

scudzilla wrote: »
    Hmmmmm, SnowPatrol = Free, RHCP=£42.50 + fees

Yea and the fact they are only playing for an hour aswell.
    Huge news: Two MAJOR stars will be giving performances on the Belfast stage: Lady Gaga and Bruno Mars! This is going to be an AMAZING show.

International superstar Lady Gaga (maybe you’ve heard of her?) boasts five GRAMMY® Awards, a record 13 MTV VMA nominations, and a top-ranking 14 million Twitter followers. Gaga was the top winner at last year’s EMA with three awards, accepting via satellite while on tour. We’re absolutely thrilled that this year she’ll be joining us in person, AND treating us to a performance!

Pop sensation Bruno Mars is a multitalented singer, songwriter, producer and musician whose ‘Just the Way You Are’ hit number one in nine countries. His EMA performance will cap his sold-out European tour, and we can’t wait to see what he has in store for EMA audiences worldwide!

Plus, the first three EMA presenters have been announced! Belfast will be getting a little taste of New Jersey flavor ... plus an ‘Awkward’ moment (in a good way!). That’s right, Nicole ‘Snooki’ Polizzi and Jenni ‘JWOWW’ Farley from MTV’s smash (or should we say ‘smush’?) hit ‘Jersey Shore’, as well as Ashley Rickards, star of breakout MTV hit ‘Awkward’, will appear onstage.

The 2011 MTV EMA airs live from Belfast at 9 PM CET on Sunday, 6th November, and will also feature performances by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Coldplay, Jessie J, LMFAO, Snow Patrol, and Jason Derulo. Truly a must-see (and must-hear) lineup!

£42.50 for a one hour show. Haha, piss takers.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    £42.50 for a one hour show. Haha, piss takers.

It's expensive per minute alright but to a fan it's a great chance to see them in a tiny venue. (Not justifying it, just sayin'!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,660 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Tomorrows Sunday Life reckons Justin Bieber is presenting. Justin bloody Bieber. Link

His girlfriend Selena Gomez is presenting

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    His girlfriend Selena Gomez is presenting

We know that now, that post was on 6th March!

MTV EMA 2011 :: 06.11.2011 :: Belfast :: The 2011 Global Icon Is...Queen!

The EMA will honour the legendary band...and they’ll honour us with a live performance. The official MTV EMA hub with the latest information about the 2011 MTV EMAs taking place in Belfast on 6th November 2011.

Who is going to be singing with Queen? I heard a disturbing rumour that they were in talks with Lady GaGa. Please say it isn't so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

So anyone spot anyone or know of any events some may have, gf wants to see if can catch any tomorrow :rolleyes:

Berns wrote: »
    So anyone spot anyone or know of any events some may have, gf wants to see if can catch any tomorrow :rolleyes:

Well being the nice guy that ya seem, why don't ya take yer GF for a nice afternoon tea at The Culloden Hotel ;);)

Was inside the arena on Friday and it looks awesome. Set design is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

That streaker portion was extremely random!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

I was at the Chili's gig earlier. I won my ticket, but I reckon it would well have been worth the money. Can't wait to see them in Croke next year!

• Advertisement

Devastator wrote: »
    I was at the Chili's gig earlier. I won my ticket, but I reckon it would well have been worth the money. Can't wait to see them in Croke next year!

Did they only play for the hour stated or did they extend the set?

Advertisement