Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minding a dog

• 02-03-2011 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I'm minding a neighbour's dog for a couple of weeks soon. He gets on well with my two, though Rani finds him a bit too boisterous. Thankfully I can seperate them when I'm not there and at night so he won't be annoying her. I also plan to put her in her crate with something yummy and long lasting so we can wear him out playing ball in the garden.

The thing that's taking up my thoughts is this; this dog has absolutely no lead manners. He's walked on a flexi lead and harness so is constantly either 5m ahead or behind. He's also always been allowed to wee whenever and wherever he wants. It drives me mad if I meet my neighbour to walk the dogs because mine need an hour's fast walk, but when we're with them we have to constantly stop and wait for him to mark every lamp post, tree and fence. He is neutered, he's just never been expected to keep his mind on walking.

My dogs are expected to walk without dragging out of me, and they know that the flexi leads will be un-braked, so to speak, at known grassy places, fields etc, but that on the footpath they're expected to walk beside me. They also know that when we're walking we're walking, and I won't stop to let them sniff anything that catches their attention. Would it be wrong of me to expect him to live by my rules under my roof?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

You are the boss. I can't imagine why the new dog wouldn't do as the other dogs do. I know when my girlfriend walks our dogs she leaves them do just as you said about your neighbours dog but when I walk them we walk and only stop when I "alllow" them to stop. They haven't complained yet about the unfair treatment they get from me lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

i would reckon ur best bet would be to walk them at different times you dont want to confuse your dogs but also his dog as this is how he has been let walk and he may be a little confused as it is because his owner wont be around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

sophie1234 wrote: »
    i would reckon ur best bet would be to walk them at different times you dont want to confuse your dogs but also his dog as this is how he has been let walk and he may be a little confused as it is because his owner wont be around
    Unfortunately walking them seperately isn't an option due to time constraints. I tried it before and I wasn't getting to eat until after 9pm.

I guess he'll just have to learn quick. He's a spaniel cross, so he should pick it up fairly quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Right, so we had the neighbour's dog over for a while tonight and things were mostly grand. Rani had a go at him once so we put her outside for 5 minutes (neighbour was shocked that we'd put her out of her own house, but I explained that she had to learn that being mean to the guest wouldn't be tolerated). She was still kind of fixated on guest dog after being let back in. Should I continue on as tonight, putting her out if she's stroppy with him? Does anyone have any other ideas, because I'd like to be able to go to the loo without risking her going for him.

Advertisement