Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB Device Not Recognised?

• 02-03-2011 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

I have a media player with a seperate 2TB hard drive, it was connecting fine before I sent it back for repair, now when I connect by USB it says "USB not recognised".

I've tried everything from installing windows updates to, usb controller properties to disk management, it won't even appear in disk management but says the drive is connected when I plug it in.

The manufacturer has not been very helpful and cannot think of anything else to do, has anybody got any suggestions to get it connected again?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I'm assuming it's externally powered and not drawing all it's power from the usb cable ?

Have you tried a different cable ?
    I've a few usb cables, some are only for charging, others for data.

Also don't try connecting via a usb hub, plug the usb cable in directly.
    The back usb ports are usually more reliable than the front ones on a case, as they're directly mounted on the motherboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

sonic.trip wrote: »
    I have a media player with a seperate 2TB hard drive, it was connecting fine before I sent it back for repair, now when I connect by USB it says "USB not recognised".

I've tried everything from installing windows updates to, usb controller properties to disk management, it won't even appear in disk management but says the drive is connected when I plug it in.

The manufacturer has not been very helpful and cannot think of anything else to do, has anybody got any suggestions to get it connected again?

thanks

What (if any) Anti-virus packages are you using, updating them to the latest version solved a similar problem for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

it was connecting fine before I sent it back for repair, now when I connect by USB it says "USB not recognised".

it won't even appear in disk management but says the drive is connected when I plug it in.

thanks

Weird, I would first try your media player on another PC to rule one out.
    For a long shot try this:
    http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/usb-device-not-recognized/
    Turn you PC off at the mains & restart it, I should work in IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,311 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

usb controller properties
    Explain that. Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling your USB system? After you took it in for repair its not uncommon that the USB system would lock up, or at least become a bit wonky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

I'm assuming it's externally powered and not drawing all it's power from the usb cable ?

Have you tried a different cable ?
    I've a few usb cables, some are only for charging, others for data.

Also don't try connecting via a usb hub, plug the usb cable in directly.
    The back usb ports are usually more reliable than the front ones on a case, as they're directly mounted on the motherboard.

externally powered, only has 1xUSB port at the back which is directly connected to the motherboard. Cable is fine, been using it without any problems before.
    What (if any) Anti-virus packages are you using, updating them to the latest version solved a similar problem for me.

Kaspersky and its up to date
    Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Weird, I would first try your media player on another PC to rule one out.
    For a long shot try this:
    http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/usb-device-not-recognized/
    Turn you PC off at the mains & restart it, I should work in IT.

I don't have the option of trying it on another PC, but tried it on another laptop and the same thing happened.

I gave up on it and just bought a new media player, this one has been back twice and was wrecking my head. its a really good media player when its working though. I can still play stuff on it but can't update anything now so whats the point?

thansk for all the suggestions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

You could take the drive out and put it in a drive caddy,
    25 euro cost,check is the drive ide , or SATA interface before you buy.
    try it in a netcafe pc ,or use a linux live cd, if it works from linux ,that means theres a problem with the windows os usb files.Does the drive have a esata or network interface ,or is it just usb out,
    Whats the model no,eg sony 670t.

ricman wrote: »
    You could take the drive out and put it in a drive caddy,
    25 euro cost,check is the drive ide , or SATA interface before you buy.
    try it in a netcafe pc ,or use a linux live cd, if it works from linux ,that means theres a problem with the windows os usb files.Does the drive have a esata or network interface ,or is it just usb out,
    Whats the model no,eg sony 670t.

Got a new media player (AC Ryan play pn HD) fpr $140 in oz, nice bit of kit but prefer the media player thats not working. drive working fine in that. must be the other media player thats causing hassle. going to try send the other one back for a replacement

yes the same problem was coming with me and thanks to all of you by giving your opinion here and now i hope i will solve my problem very easily and i think this is the best way as you all have told here.
    Mobile Phone prices

SPAM off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

externally powered, only has 1xUSB port at the back which is directly connected to the motherboard. Cable is fine, been using it without any problems before....

You should at least try another cable. Cables can go bad. Like was said earlier some USB cables are better than others. I've some that will work with some devices and not with others. Some charge some won't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement