Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alphosyl Shampoo

Options
  • 02-03-2011 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Does anyone know out there why Alphosyl Shampoo is not available to buy in Ireland, I have to buy it online from the UK and pay postage, it ends up costing a fortune. Boots supply it in the UK but not here why why why????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Have you tried asking Boots?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You could ask GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare (Ireland) Ltd.
    It's approved for general sale in Ireland and they're the licence holders.
    http://www.imb.ie/images/uploaded/swedocuments/latest_general_sales_list.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

I see some bottles on ebay. very expensive i must say, 12euro for a small bottle. I havnt seen it on sale in any chemists here. Im going shopping tomorrow, ill keep an eye out for it. Things like this are inclined to get under my skin, pardon the pun:o i had a favourite underarm roll-on when i was a teenager 30 years ago. it was called Zirconium ZR and the perfume was described on the front of the bottle as Wild Orchids. at the time i had sensitive skin and MUM and SURE etc. gave me a rash, hence ZR. the rash went away but returned in the last couple of years. Sanex does the trick now but i would give anything to find a bottle of Zirconium ZR Wild Orchids. just for old times sake:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Its gone in to overdrive in the last 2 years, new products only stay on the shelves for 6 months before they are discontinued. Seems only the most powerful suppliers get their products on the shelves.

Sorry I don't know of any Irish suppliers but it here with £2.95 delivery.

http://www.pharmacyfirst.co.uk/index.php?searchStr=ALPHOSYL&sort_by=relevancy&_a=viewCat&Submit=Search

Would any coal tar shampoo do or do you like the smell of this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It is 5% coal tar, most others are lower than this I think, I first wondered if it was too high a % for sale here. But it is on the irish medicine boards list.

http://www.imb.ie/images/uploaded/swedocuments/latest_general_sales_list.pdf

Coal tar is messy stuff, I got polytar which was intended for bath water so it is much stronger than usual so I put it on for minutes and wash it off.

There is a thread on psoriasis here if that is what you have. Mine is pretty much clear after using a UVB light which you can buy online.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055355875

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Analot

Thanks for that Rubadub, and yes it is psoriasis that I have, I have lived with it for years as have all my siblings and my Dad and Aunts, I find the Alphosyl keeps it under control. But I think I will def try the UVB light. I read through the thread and will follow it for any other tips. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Analot wrote: »
    But I think I will def try the UVB light. I read through the thread and will follow it for any other tips.
    No problem, I have read up quite a lot about it and it seems the coal tar makes you more sensitive to UVB, so if you are using coal tar it sort of try and make up for the lack of sunlight we have, and by using the coal tar along with artificial UVB it gives very good results. Usually you have to just begin to get sunburn for the UVB to work, but when using with tar you do not.

I know this is sort of off topic from the original , but as a consumer issue it is worth noting that some health professionals might not have your best interests in mind, I view them just the same as any repairman who might be looking for continued business rather than a permanent fix, or something you can do yourself very cheaply.

The steroid creams usually prescribed usually result in a quicker relapse rate after UVB -i.e. if you never used steroids and just UVB you might be remain clear with minimal "top ups", but the steroids seem to weaken the system for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cailineile

Analot,

If you know anyone coming home from the US or going on holiday

get them to pick up a bottle of this from walgreens, cvs or anywhere, its mighty, they changed packaging a few years back, but it is magic,

Active Ingredients
    Coal Tar Solution - 12.5 %Controls dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis

and I mean the best shampoo, I have ever used....., and I have tried them all, you can feel it working

when i run out i use this on and off, DERMAL PSORIDERM SCALP LOTION, you might have to ask pharmacist to order it for you, (its is far better than polytar), you will need two shampoos...i used to use alphysol back in 15 years ago.but denorex from the states is the biz

PM me for other info ....if you want, I had Psoriasis for years and yearss....

Advertisement