Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wow austrailia is fair depressing

Options
  • 02-03-2011 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

so been in australia 3 weeks now, can't get anywork. Applied for 100's of jobs only got one interview for a job i didn't get. And on top of that its so much more expensive than i expected so if i don't get a job soon it looks like i'll be heading home early and flat arse broke... Wow looks like hitting oz was a massive mistake, i mean back home if i applied for even half the amount of jobs i.ve went for here i'd have had 20+ interviews like... Wtf argh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Ok

What are you skilled at ?

have you tried moving companys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Hey leedsfan88,keep your chin up.Sorry to hear you are having troubles finding a job.Maybe someone who comes on boards near you there will be able to put a word in for you in their jobs down under.
    Dont give up just yet,you haven't been there long.
    Have you got a particular trade?

oh p.s the old get any job you can while waiting comes to mind as they really admire that there especially when not your skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

leedsfan88 wrote: »
    so been in australia 3 weeks now, can't get anywork. Applied for 100's of jobs only got one interview for a job i didn't get. And on top of that its so much more expensive than i expected so if i don't get a job soon it looks like i'll be heading home early and flat arse broke... Wow looks like hitting oz was a massive mistake, i mean back home if i applied for even half the amount of jobs i.ve went for here i'd have had 20+ interviews like... Wtf argh

What visa are you on in OZ and what sort of jobs are you looking for ?

What qualifications have you from back at home ?

3 Weeks doesn't seem that long only a settling in time . If it was 3 months would be worse .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Where in Australia are you? 3 weeks really isn't that long. I've been in Australia nearly 3 years and there has been a few times where I've been out of work for more than 3 weeks. It took me almost a month to get a job when I first got here.
    I don't see how people think they can move to the other side of the world and just settle in and get a job straight away. Alot of people come over here thinking that Australia is some magical place full of jobs and parties. In reality it isn't that easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

How's the job situation in Melbourne?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

3 weeks really isn't that long. And yes Australia is expensive, has been now for a good few years.

GiftofGab wrote: »
    How's the job situation in Melbourne?

Good thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

Zambia wrote: »
    Good thanks .

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

Good thanks .

...and you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

Come back to me when you've been waiting near 3 months for a job and spent every day on seek, mycareer, gumtree, walking round cafes/bars/offies then you can complain. You might need to look at your CV, cover letter, follow-up calls, etc.
    Plus with the $5000 you brought over you should have enough left to cover you for a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

melb wrote: »
    Come back to me when you've been waiting near 3 months for a job and spent every day on seek, mycareer, gumtree, walking round cafes/bars/offies then you can complain. You might need to look at your CV, cover letter, follow-up calls, etc.
    Plus with the $5000 you brought over you should have enough left to cover you for a few weeks.

+1
    Took me over 2 months to get my first interview

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Take a good luck at your CV and Cover letter... You gotta think 'is my CV going to stand out against the next guy'?

Anyway I believe sending a CV is always tricky.. your CV could be one of 500 y'know? You gotta go in in person to get that job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

as I was told by a Careers officer for the Northside Partnership here last year you need to edit your C.V to reflect the Job your applying for,rather than just having a single catch-all C.V that's either too broad or not detailed enough

check the company's website for any clews as to what they want
    i.e if their about us page says
    "we are a young energetic company driven by skilled individuals"
    or "our focus is to give 100% satisfaction to our customers"

then throw these things back at them in your C.V
    "I am a young skilled Individual who is very experienced in ensuring the Customer is 100% satisfied with our service"
    emphasize on your C.V the skills they have stated they are looking for

obviously you don't have to use every single cliché that their site is flogging but this kind of thing definitely helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 b0lt

im heading over in 3 weeks. i know loads of friends just got over there an said theres hundreds of jobs they got work in 3 to 7 days. that was a month ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

b0lt wrote: »
    im heading over in 3 weeks. i know loads of friends just got over there an said theres hundreds of jobs they got work in 3 to 7 days. that was a month ago

In which city? What jobs did they get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

What location are they living in? also what area of work are they working in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I didn't spend longer that 2 weeks looking for jobs in Sydney or Melbourne. That was just for admin jobs as well.

http://www.freespirit.com.au/

I recommend the above link for getting jobs for backpackers.

(P.S. talking about going home after 3 weeks of job-hunting is ridiculous)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

15 of my friends went over and all got jobs within a week this is in perth, Been talking to them a lot and always says there is loads of work over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

m@cc@ wrote: »

(P.S. talking about going home after 3 weeks of job-hunting is ridiculous)

Maybe they didn't bring the Recomended $5000, sure havnt you heard that in Australia the pavements are paved in gold and sure employers are pulling the shirt off you back in the Airport with offers of fantastic jobs. Sure who needs $5K anyway?

I beg to differ on clean up Australia day yesterday I found 10 bucks on the road, and an old lighter. So the streets are paved with cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭WopTittyPop

It took me 2 months to get a job when I first got here! Just keep the head up, and keep at it. Something will come along eventually, and when it does your worries will be gone and you'll see all the positives of the country you're in. And there's a lot of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Op never came back :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

I think alot of Irish heading think it is going to be a walk in the park with getting a job and the truth is if you are qualified and experienced in the position you are applying for you should have as good a chance as the next person.

A lottery really like everywhere else and as said a good cover note references and confident self presentation either be it on the phone or in the flesh should do the world of good in your favour.

I never had trouble getting work myself (chef) and my partner (healthcare assistant co-ordinator).

I thought in our area of employments and being Irish the employers saw us as an asset to their teams and that all boosted our chances but it still comes down to how you portray yourself in the end.

Doing all again this summer,can't wait :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I beg to differ on clean up Australia day yesterday I found 10 bucks on the road, and an old lighter. So the streets are paved with cash.

Could say you now have money to burn Zambia :D

Good god no . That 10 has to last me the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Three weeks is nothing - and no, you wouldn't get all those interviews if you were in Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 b0lt

GiftofGab wrote: »
    In which city? What jobs did they get?

one of them is a chef but 2 others got work in construction.
    I'm guna try work in IT when i get over seems to be plenty on seek.com
    In Melbourne by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

There is jobs over here, but it can be hard depending on what visa you are on and what job you want to do. I've been here 6weeks now with my girlfriend, we are both on WHV's and I got a graduate engineering job within 8days with no previous experience but I was an electrician for a few years which helped.

My girlfriend on the other hand is doing her nut in at the minute, 6weeks looking everyday on seek, mycareer, gumtree, sending off cv's and cover letters for environmental/transport jobs and not one interview for what she wants to do. She has a masters as well which seems to mean absolutley nothing in Australia.

I have a friend that can't get a job in Science even with previous experience and shes been here since November, she was told by a compnay it was the WHV, which won't do you any favours. One company gave feedback to her when she asked and told her to put on her CV that her partner will be getting sponsored etc and it might increase her chances as it looks more permanent.

They think you are "too much of a risk" if you are on a WHV and looking for specific jobs.

My gf has been trying that as I will be getting sponsored but has heard nothing back yet,

She got a reply off one job last week and the first thing they asked was what visa was she on. can be a pain in the arse alright, at least I'm working for now and we can survive.

On top of that the recruitment compnaies won't give you the time of day, they work for the clients and only pick people with experience etc for interviews or callbacks. keep trying, make callls back for jobs you've applied to to, ask for feedback, apply to companies directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

I think the problem with the WHV is that it is supposed to be a holiday visa with the right to work. You can't really blame them for giving priority to residents, it wouldn't be fair.

Congrats on getting a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

ellaq wrote: »
    I think the problem with the WHV is that it is supposed to be a holiday visa with the right to work. You can't really blame them for giving priority to residents, it wouldn't be fair.

Congrats on getting a job.

I except that alright, she rang back today to find out what the story was. She was told by the recruiter that they could not get an Australian person to fill the position and 14-15 highly skilled Irish people applied for the job and she couldn't interview any of them because of the WHV.

Advertisement