Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wow austrailia is fair depressing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 b0lt

There no point in looking for a serious job if you applied for a WHV, I'm going over for a year of drink and adventures :)

a working visa would be the one if ya want a serious job and your allowed stay as long as you want once your employed

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

baraca wrote: »
    15 of my friends went over and all got jobs within a week this is in perth, Been talking to them a lot and always says there is loads of work over there.

This is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

sonic.trip wrote: »
    I except that alright, she rang back today to find out what the story was. She was told by the recruiter that they could not get an Australian person to fill the position and 14-15 highly skilled Irish people applied for the job and she couldn't interview any of them because of the WHV.

Once you are in proper ...the opertunities are endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Once you are in proper ...the opertunities are endless.

Good for you for being in Australia proper :rolleyes:

OP- rather than hitting the well known job websites, if you are looking for admin/ office work go on gumtree.com.au and go to your relevant locale, and post your own ad LOOKING for work, rather than searching through wanteds on seek. Gumtree ad, "my name is x, Ive x years in experience in whatever", and post it with your number.

If its anything like back home, some of the ads on seek.com,au arent even real- back home its well known that in order to generate increased traffic for their respective job websites, employees of said websites put up fake job ads to gain views/ replies and then release figures at the end of the financial year for stock purposes. Fcuk seek.com, go to gumtree and post your own ad in the relevant sections. From the construction side I can tell you that you will get at least 3 or 4 calls after posting your own ad, whereas if you are applying for a job via email that 90 people have already applied for on seek, if its even a real job, your chances are low. And thats only construction- few if any admin workers even think of gumtree, whereas everyone in labouring uses it, you might get even more calls due to lack of competition. Also, because Australia is a less qualification centred country than Ireland, the entry level pay for an average no qualification admin job can be ridicilously good compared to home. Ive known Aussies to have the equiv of 20 euro an hour jobs in admin with no experience, but even with Irish girls most are getting between 650 and 700 dollars per week take home at entry level which is pretty high compared to home, at least when I left. Maybe try chancin your arm in your expected wage on your ad. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Ah mods. You lifted his ban ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

If its anything like back home, some of the ads on seek.com,au arent even real- back home its well known that in order to generate increased traffic for their respective job websites, employees of said websites put up fake job ads to gain views/ replies and then release figures at the end of the financial year for stock purposes. Fcuk seek.com,

Horse sh*t..

It is illegal to post a fake job and can involve fines. This is what I was told when I started my job as a recruiter over here.

PS - I am a recruiter but in a very specific area but unfortunately I am not in a position to assist the majority of people who post here. All of my clients requirement PR at least to be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Good for you for being in Australia proper :rolleyes:
    Mod One day back and you are starting again.
    Now I am warning you, if you start this petty tripe up again you will be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Diddler82 wrote: »
    Horse sh*t..

It is illegal to post a fake job and can involve fines. This is what I was told when I started my job as a recruiter over here.

No he's right, it's been going on for years, very common practice.

Sometimes the ad is a very vague ad looking for people and then they send applicants CV around etc.

Prime example was my job, there was a ad looking for J2EE experience I 'applied' the recruiter sent my CV on to a company and I was set up with interview, my boss told me a few months later they never advertised and the agency approached them, I asked him over a beer one day and he said they put up generic ads so can get CV to pass etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

It can be next to impossible to get a 'real' job on a WHV, like what you're trained in and qualified for. Backpacker jobs with a high turnover are things like call centres, sales, bar work, farm work, admin temping. That's where you'll be hired as a working holiday maker. It's very rare that a company will give a decent job to a transient.

Try temp agencies. Register with several different ones and keep phoning them to see if they have anything for you. That's how I got started in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If its anything like back home, some of the ads on seek.com,au arent even real- back home its well known that in order to generate increased traffic for their respective job websites, employees of said websites put up fake job ads to gain views/ replies and then release figures at the end of the financial year for stock purposes. Fcuk seek.com,

It does happen, but because of "stock purposes". For a start recuitment agency aren't publicly traded companies. Secondly, website hits isn't going to affect financial figures, i doubt any income comes for banner ads.

The reason is as hussy said. Simply to keep their stock of CVs maintained with those who are seeking work. Once a person finds a job (through them or otherwise) they are of no more use to them.

Have you even gotten a reply email saying you did not make the shortlist, but they'll keep your records on file. That's possibably what happened. I've gotten emails a weeks after looking about other jobs.
    the dee wrote:
    It can be next to impossible to get a 'real' job on a WHV, like what you're trained in and qualified for.
    No it isn't.
    I've had two long term jobs in my field. As week as a few months in between doing casual contracting, again same field. I'm not alone in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Loads of work in Wollongong, all sorts from office to labouring.

Helps if you have a trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Gregsor wrote: »

I never had trouble getting work myself (chef) and my partner (healthcare assistant co-ordinator).

I.

Me and the girlfriend are heading over next November. I'm a restaurant supervisor and she is a bartender, we both have hospitality degrees and plently of experience. How easy is it to get a decent job in hotel/restaurant over there??

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Me and the girlfriend are heading over next November. I'm a restaurant supervisor and she is a bartender, we both have hospitality degrees and plently of experience. How easy is it to get a decent job in hotel/restaurant over there??

I worked on the Goldcoast for 2 years,first with the ALH Group who run a majority of the local taverns and they run quite a few hotels and leisure centres and own Danny Murphys :cool: and Woolworths and last but not least Caltex,i would recommend them(also receive a 5% staff discount card for the majority of them :D).
    Alot of the staff were working with partners in different sections of the establishments and they also give the opportunity to move between sister venues so you could travel a bit too,i only left them as i could not seem to get requested weekends off and i didn't want to be going through all that again and wanted some flexibility so i went to an agency.

Agency work was good and i could make a good weeks wages over 3 days then i also had the time to head off with the family for the weekends camping etc.

I also signed up with another group who done venue catering AFL matches Indy car races and that paid good but less frequent.

Trying to get the balance is the trick enough time off to enjoy the country and enough work to give you some Dollars to do it ;)

I never had any trouble finding work on the Goldcoast and was often offered positions through word of mouth also.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Gregsor wrote: »
    I worked on the Goldcoast for 2 years,first with the ALH Group who run a majority of the local taverns and they run quite a few hotels and leisure centres and own Danny Murphys :cool: and Woolworths and last but not least Caltex,i would recommend them(also receive a 5% staff discount card for the majority of them :D).
    Alot of the staff were working with partners in different sections of the establishments and they also give the opportunity to move between sister venues so you could travel a bit too,i only left them as i could not seem to get requested weekends off and i didn't want to be going through all that again and wanted some flexibility so i went to an agency.

Agency work was good and i could make a good weeks wages over 3 days then i also had the time to head off with the family for the weekends camping etc.

I also signed up with another group who done venue catering AFL matches Indy car races and that paid good but less frequent.

Trying to get the balance is the trick enough time off to enjoy the country and enough work to give you some Dollars to do it ;)

I never had any trouble finding work on the Goldcoast and was often offered positions through word of mouth also.

Sounds good, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

No bother,just putting put up a link but i can't seem to open their homepage in any browser at the moment,but here it is www.alhgroup.com.au you could try later.

In all the states too i think.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

old_aussie wrote: »
    Loads of work in Wollongong, all sorts from office to labouring.

Helps if you have a trade.

Ah the Gong.

Fond memories. I used to live closer to that place than Sydney city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭elspecia

Hey yeah, i'm currently in perth looking for work, only been here 3 days, already in a house but rang up 12 guys today about jobs listed in the western australian and try all said they had filled the jobs...i mean i rang at 8 in the morning :mad:

But going to do my rsa online tonight me thinks, build a fake cv with lots of bar experence and allpy for some bar work :D

But i'm going to stay positive and also allpy for call centre jobs, sales, marketing and anything business related and hope my degree with stand to me...fingers crossed, i don't want a serious job while i'm here just something to pay my way and maybe save a 100 or so bucks a weeks to bring home or fund another year here or a year in NZ...

So OP keep the chin up, i know that it can get lonely out here, so far from home but man, things back home are so bad even if you work a ****e job here for your 12 months and safe some money it will be better than being on the dole or worse being on the dole with no spending spending money living with mammy and daddy

Hope you get yourself sorted and enjoy oz and the ozzie ladies...they are very lovely girls:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Diddler82 wrote: »
    Horse sh*t..

PS - I am a recruiter but in a very specific area but unfortunately I am not in a position to assist the majority of people who post here. All of my clients requirement PR at least to be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Smithy11

Hey, this is my first post!

We moved to Melbourne 2 months ago and to be completely honest things aren't going as well as i had hoped. My boyfriend has a job, to do with his college placement however his pay is not great at all for his skills.

I've been in hospitality for 10 years but even I am struggling to get bar work. I have two jobs and for instance last week i only worked 10 hours!! Speaking to alot of Irish and English they too are having the same problems. So many people have moved here that there is so much competition for work and of course employers prefer someone who is from the country and here for good, not just for the 6 months as per the terms of the working holiday visas.

Accomodation is very expensive, we are paying over 300 dollars a week for a tiny one bedroom apartment. After paying the bond (months rent) and deposit (months rent) it is a huge hit, plus if you need to buy any bits for the apartment. Luckily ours was fully furnished so only needed a few bits...thankgod for IKEA! never thought i would say that :)

We bought a car but i would never recommend getting a car here without a Rego. It is an absolute con trying to get the car registered and cost another 1500 dollars getting stuff fixed and paying for the rego and the RWC.

Anyway dont mean to be too depressing, if your in a wanted trade get to OZ asap as they are dying for certain skills over here.

5000 dollars each doesnt gone a long way once you've paid for all of the above. Food is very expensive here, so don't think living costs are cheap. And for those who like a drink its about $9 for a pint of the black stuff and $8 for a vodka and mixer.

I'm still looking for more work, every day online and calling and emailing recruitment agents. Am signed up with 3 agencies and got 2 days temp work...! Hope i find something soon so that things improve and that we can go out and explore this beautiful country

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

I would never recommend anyone buying an unrego'd car over here.

It will always cost money. Even some of the rego'd ones at the lower end of the market can be seriously dodgy. You get a different breed of crap cars here than you will ever see in Ireland, especially in WA where so long as a car is rego'd it never has to go over the pits. My own car has 285000km on it but my other half is a mechanic so the maintenance costs are evened out by the purchase price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

hussey wrote: »
    No he's right, it's been going on for years, very common practice.

Sometimes the ad is a very vague ad looking for people and then they send applicants CV around etc.

Prime example was my job, there was a ad looking for J2EE experience I 'applied' the recruiter sent my CV on to a company and I was set up with interview, my boss told me a few months later they never advertised and the agency approached them, I asked him over a beer one day and he said they put up generic ads so can get CV to pass etc

Okay point taken, however I am always in a position to supply people with company names and job descriptions.

Unfortunately there are a number of gangsters out there who will put up generic job descriptions. That said our Agency does not practice this. I have done it at home in Ireland putting up generic ads but these were in no way meant to be specific. For example a job title 3 x Tech Support Roles, Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

I think from reading a lot of the post the problem seems to be, that people are trying to use the WHV visa as if it was one of the skilled migration visas, it’s not. The reason for the WHV has always been for holidays with rights to work to supplement your holidays. It was never meant to be used as a way to migrate to Australia.

First thing you need to get to grips with is. If going on a WHV to Oz you’re going on an extended holiday. Doesn’t matter how many masters or work experience you have it’s a holiday. You have the right to work 6 months in a place before you have to move on. So any employer looking at you sees you as a temp worker.

The odds are that unless you have been working in services industry like bar work, restaurant, etc you probable not going to get you ideal job. You could be very very luck but odds are you won’t. You will probably end up going from temp job to temp job but that’s what you need to be ready for.

My first time ever in Oz was way back in 2001. I didn’t get a job for the first month and when I did it was 3 days digging the sod off a garden in 40 deg heat. The next took a few more weeks and was traffic survey. That lasted a few weeks. Then another job was delivering papers at 5 am all round Bondi and all the way into Sydney CBD. Also another temp job of mail sorting in commonwealth bank at night. Then after a few months hit it lucky and got work full time for a painting and decorating company.

What I’m really trying to say is that I went over with no set plans and no preconceived ideas. Just to have fun and make a few extra dollars to keep the good times going. That’s the main purpose of the WHV.

If you want to move to Oz and build a life there then don’t get a WHV get one of the other skilled Visas. I don’t mean to be harsh but also don’t want people leaving Ireland thinking that a WHV is a quick, cheap easy way into life in Oz It’s not.

You’re not going to walk off the plane and straight into that dream full time job, new house and new life. If you do far play to you as you one of the very few who have hit it lucky .

Go enjoy Oz on the WHV and you will have the time of your life, if you go in the right mindset that is. Go thinking that you mightn’t get a job for a few months. When you do get one it will probably be a temp one for a few weeks if you’re lucky. Plus you will more than likely have to live in hostels. If things are better than this it’s a bonus but not a given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

another tactic to use could be, instead of trying to compete with every man and his dog in Aus (half of Ireland and the UK heading over etc), find another economy doing well that is not English speaking, go on a basic language course and hit there....

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padrepio

Ozeire wrote: »
    I think from reading a lot of the post the problem seems to be, that people are trying to use the WHV visa as if it was one of the skilled migration visas, it’s not. The reason for the WHV has always been for holidays with rights to work to supplement your holidays. It was never meant to be used as a way to migrate to Australia.

First thing you need to get to grips with is. If going on a WHV to Oz you’re going on an extended holiday. Doesn’t matter how many masters or work experience you have it’s a holiday. You have the right to work 6 months in a place before you have to move on. So any employer looking at you sees you as a temp worker.

The odds are that unless you have been working in services industry like bar work, restaurant, etc you probable not going to get you ideal job. You could be very very luck but odds are you won’t. You will probably end up going from temp job to temp job but that’s what you need to be ready for.

My first time ever in Oz was way back in 2001. I didn’t get a job for the first month and when I did it was 3 days digging the sod off a garden in 40 deg heat. The next took a few more weeks and was traffic survey. That lasted a few weeks. Then another job was delivering papers at 5 am all round Bondi and all the way into Sydney CBD. Also another temp job of mail sorting in commonwealth bank at night. Then after a few months hit it lucky and got work full time for a painting and decorating company.

What I’m really trying to say is that I went over with no set plans and no preconceived ideas. Just to have fun and make a few extra dollars to keep the good times going. That’s the main purpose of the WHV.

If you want to move to Oz and build a life there then don’t get a WHV get one of the other skilled Visas. I don’t mean to be harsh but also don’t want people leaving Ireland thinking that a WHV is a quick, cheap easy way into life in Oz It’s not.

You’re not going to walk off the plane and straight into that dream full time job, new house and new life. If you do far play to you as you one of the very few who have hit it lucky .

Go enjoy Oz on the WHV and you will have the time of your life, if you go in the right mindset that is. Go thinking that you mightn’t get a job for a few months. When you do get one it will probably be a temp one for a few weeks if you’re lucky. Plus you will more than likely have to live in hostels. If things are better than this it’s a bonus but not a given.

A bit doom and gloom if you dont mind me saying.

Those coming to Oz now are not coming to travel around for a year and head home (the vast majority anyway).

While the WHV has its limitations it is a first step into Oz for many people. Yes some companies view it as a backpacking visa and some companies have policies where they wont hire people on WHV's but not all. All my Irish friends over here have come into through a WHV - then to 457 then to PR. We all have moved to Aus for the medium/long term with a WHV as a first step and done pretty well. For some employers (open minded ones) the WHV is actually a bonus as they can effectively trial people before they offer them sponsorship.

It is difficult for people coming over straight out of college with no experience. Industries like retail and hospitality are difficult for WHV holders and Im sure there are more. But there are jobs there, it is just a matter of networking, think of any potential contact you might have and contact them and above all stay patient and positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padrepio

sonic.trip wrote: »
    There is jobs over here, but it can be hard depending on what visa you are on and what job you want to do. I've been here 6weeks now with my girlfriend, we are both on WHV's and I got a graduate engineering job within 8days with no previous experience but I was an electrician for a few years which helped.

My girlfriend on the other hand is doing her nut in at the minute, 6weeks looking everyday on seek, mycareer, gumtree, sending off cv's and cover letters for environmental/transport jobs and not one interview for what she wants to do. She has a masters as well which seems to mean absolutley nothing in Australia.

I have a friend that can't get a job in Science even with previous experience and shes been here since November, she was told by a compnay it was the WHV, which won't do you any favours. One company gave feedback to her when she asked and told her to put on her CV that her partner will be getting sponsored etc and it might increase her chances as it looks more permanent.

They think you are "too much of a risk" if you are on a WHV and looking for specific jobs.

My gf has been trying that as I will be getting sponsored but has heard nothing back yet,

She got a reply off one job last week and the first thing they asked was what visa was she on. can be a pain in the arse alright, at least I'm working for now and we can survive.

On top of that the recruitment compnaies won't give you the time of day, they work for the clients and only pick people with experience etc for interviews or callbacks. keep trying, make callls back for jobs you've applied to to, ask for feedback, apply to companies directly.

sorry for your troubles though it will be easier once she gets on your 457.

I would try the whole take me on for a months trial kind of thing. If it is recruiters giving her that feedback then ask to meet them. They should be trying to help her get a job not accept company lines. I know there are good recruiters but rare as hens teeth in my experience. If it is an easy placement they will be all over you but anything that will time a bit of time and negotiation, they dont want to know. So if she could pitch to the company directly do it.

My CFO here who deals with a lot of the hires and fires has said this to me about going for jobs in Oz. it is all to do with contacts etc - so chance old college lecturers etc you would be surprised by the contacts list some of them have, family members, previous places you worked. If possible get written references for these and if they need to be embellished a bit :p

His view - On a sliding scale to get a decent job in Aus.

1 - people who are recommended (by either employees or someone who the company executive respects)
    2 - people who come to the company directly and apply or make an effort to go to the company directly - shows initiative
    3 - people who are recommended by recruiters
    4 - people who apply through seek etc

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LittleT

Ok I'm going to ask a question which may be obvious to others but not to me....

I have been granted a WHV and will be arriving in Oz in the coming months. I am a health professional and my occupation is on the occupations in demand list.

If I arrive on a WHV, is it possible to be granted a different type of visa when you are there??

I am concerned that hospitals may not even consider my applications for jobs once they see they can only employ me for a max of 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

LittleT wrote: »
    Ok I'm going to ask a question which may be obvious to others but not to me....

I have been granted a WHV and will be arriving in Oz in the coming months. I am a health professional and my occupation is on the occupations in demand list.

If I arrive on a WHV, is it possible to be granted a different type of visa when you are there??

I am concerned that hospitals may not even consider my applications for jobs once they see they can only employ me for a max of 6 months

Do you mind me asking what you do? You might find that you can get sponsored quickly enough on a 457, depending where in the country you're planning on moving to.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LittleT

Vorsprung

I'm a speech and language therapist. I'm arriving in Sydney and I'm going to look there for work first, as it seems that's where the majority of work is. But I'm definitely open to working in other parts of Oz. Do you think this is amenable to a 457 visa? The problem is I've already been granted the WHV, I probably should have been asking these questions before this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

LittleT wrote: »
    Vorsprung

I'm a speech and language therapist. I'm arriving in Sydney and I'm going to look there for work first, as it seems that's where the majority of work is. But I'm definitely open to working in other parts of Oz. Do you think this is amenable to a 457 visa? The problem is I've already been granted the WHV, I probably should have been asking these questions before this!!

I think it's definitely worth a chat with any of the healthcare recruitment agencies, and have a look at the NSW Health site as well - some hospitals have their own in house migration and visa staff as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Ozeire wrote: »

The odds are that unless you have been working in services industry like bar work, restaurant, etc you probable not going to get you ideal job.

Is bar work hard to find without much experience?

Advertisement