Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JetSki -Starter Bendix

• 02-03-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi,
    I've to remove the bendix from my Yamaha GP760 ski.
    Has anyone here ever done it?
    The starter is spinning and not making contact with the ring gear and I'm told it because the bendix is ceased and will need to be cleaned.
    Can't find anything on the net as to how to go about it any I don't have a manual!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Here is a link that might help, you have to take off the flywheel to get at it. Did you try to pump grease into the tube that runs down to the bendix it may save you a lot of work if you can free it up instead of taking it out.
    http://www.pwctoday.com/f14/97-gp760-hear-starter-turning-but-engine-not-turning-298748.html

Best of luck with it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jetwest

you will need a flywheel puller and space to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

Hey,
    Do yourself a favour and replace it! cleaning these up wont last long, it will also wear out the teeth on your fly wheen if its not enaging fully and trust me you dont want it to breakup while your motor is spinning at 7000rpm... ur bendix will either come out thru the bottom of ur ski's hull or up through your seat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fastford

Hi, Thanks for your replies. I only got around to looking at the jetski today. I got the ring gear off (with great difficulty) and I have the bendix out. It was a bit gummed up alright - the grease wasn't getting to it. I cleaned it with WD40 and it seems to be 'sending out' ok. however, I see very slight wear on the edge of the teeth. Would I be taking a risk by putting it back in again or should I just order a new one?
    Thanks,
    Errol.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It would be normal to see a bit of wear on one side of the teeth and as long as the starter cog has a nice snug fit it should be ok, but if you are worried about it and can pick one up handy :eek: you may as well change it while it's out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 fastford

I've just realised that its the teeth on flywheel thats worn.There's two 'flat spots' where the teeth are worn so there in lies my problem.Maybe I should get a new bendix along with the ring gear.

Yep if you got flat spots it will have to be changed :(

Advertisement