Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planerary Orbits

Options
  • 02-03-2011 1:24pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Question for the astronomy guys here. I know the Planets orbit around the Sun along an ellispe and not a circle. The closest approach to the Sun is called its perihelion and furthest point is called its aphelion.
    OK so my question, are the perihelions of all the planets on the same "side" of the sun or all at different points? Do they move about over time so that every so often say the Earths perihelion is close to Venus's aphelion which bring them closer then normal?
    Its a question someone asked me recently and I was stumped:confused: I thought I had a good grasp on the Solar System but I was unable to answer that one.
    Anyone???????????????????

Comments

Advertisement