Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a broken NES

• 02-03-2011 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭

Anyone have a broken NES they want to get rid of. When I say broken I don't mean the case as I want to build a PC inside the NES. So just a NES that wont power on or something like that.

I just cant destroy a functioning NES to MOD it. It's not in me ;0)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

You shouldnt have a problem getting one off ebay, i always see broken ones on there. great idea, ive seen them before, would be terrible to use a working one alright. keep us updated on it as your doing it, would love to see some pics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

keithgeo wrote: »
    You shouldnt have a problem getting one off ebay, i always see broken ones on there. great idea, ive seen them before, would be terrible to use a working one alright. keep us updated on it as your doing it, would love to see some pics!

Yeah, I'll stick up a few pics when I start it.

I have an old Commodore monitor from 1982(I think) that I said I'd restore/clean up first so it might be a while. The monitor has an amazing quality screen for such an old monitor and the retro consoles look so much nicer on it than LCD screens. I've got my CD32 hooked up at the moment and it looks class. The person I got it from had spray painted the monitor black as it had turned yellow over the years so I'm currently deciding whether to clean off the black and try restore the original white colour(or silver, not sure) or to leave it black and just do a clean up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,389 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

He doesn't have any more of those monitors does he by any chance? I really need one for my Amiga..can't find one anywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

No leaks or bulging caps on mine so far. I bought it new the week it came out in Ireland. Think that was 1993 or 1994

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    No leaks or bulging caps on mine so far. I bought it new the week it came out in Ireland. Think that was 1993 or 1994
    Yes still need a change,they are shíte,most stuff that C= made during that time was cost reduced lower quality.

o1s1n wrote: »
    He doesn't have any more of those monitors does he by any chance? I really need one for my Amiga..can't find one anywhere!

No, it was just the one and i got it off him ages ago.

Apparently the 1701 and 1702 monitors are really sought after items by retro enthusiasts because of the image quality and also the build quality.

Yes still need a change,they are shíte,most stuff that C= made during that time was cost reduced lower quality.

I think i will leave for the moment. I still have a few backup CD32's anyway stored away with a couple of 3DO's.

Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    I still have a few backup CD32's anyway.

All those CD32s probably have caps which are on the verge of leaking too :(

Andrew76 here had an A1200 which had no bad symptoms, but got Enternow to change the caps anyway.

While doing so he came across one that had leaked really badly and caused damage. Had to do a bit of a bypass job to fix it.

My own A1200 apparantly looked loverly inside, but I had bad cap symptoms (missing sound channels and some distorted colours)

Seems with Commodore hardware from that era it's best to change the caps while the unit is still working...before it's too late.

The image quality from 1701 and 1702 monitors is indeed lovely. You're a lucky man! They're the kind of thing you'd either get for nothing from someone having a yard sale or else paying a fortune on ebay. There's no middle ground!

o1s1n wrote: »
    All those CD32s probably have caps which are on the verge of leaking too :(

Andrew76 here had an A1200 which had no bad symptoms, but got Enternow to change the caps anyway.

While doing so he came across one that had leaked really badly and caused damage. Had to do a bit of a bypass job to fix it.

My own A1200 apparantly looked loverly inside, but I had bad cap symptoms (missing sound channels and some distorted colours)

Seems with Commodore hardware from that era it's best to change the caps while the unit is still working...before it's too late.

The image quality from 1701 and 1702 monitors is indeed lovely. You're a lucky man! They're the kind of thing you'd either get for nothing from someone having a yard sale or else paying a fortune on ebay. There's no middle ground!

I must check the ones in storage. The one I use doesn't have the issue as I know what your talking about and the motherboard was checked before and is fine. Caps can be a pain when they decide to leak or burst, I used to work for Dell and leaky caps cost them millions a few years ago when they had to replace all motherboards on a few of the Optiplex desktop models.

• Advertisement

Caps are going to leak/expire regardless,best practice to power on old equipment least once a year for about 20 mins to stop them drying up,and even that replacing them doesn't mean the equipment will "last forever",surface mount chips fail aswell,these are beginning to happen on old c64s and speecies,some migs where the remainder boards where salvaged for the chips.

Another method is to invest in scandoubler,which double the frequency output rate on the mig to display the modern monitor,they dont go for jack burton prices though

Dell saga was result from a stolen formula- http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/jun/29/dell-problems-capacitors

Master of the Universe

Another method is to invest in scandoubler,which double the frequency output rate on the mig to the modern monitor,they dont go for jack burton prices though

I was going to get a scandoubler a while ago, until I saw the price! Mad money.

Haha, you don't have to tell me about the Dell saga, I was part of the clean-up crew and seemed to deal with it daily for my sins. I really hated that we had to sign a non disclosure to not talk about any of it to the press or customers. The non disclosure is null and void now, which is why I mention it.

Dell expressed interest to buy commodore once after they where bankrupt

Now there's bit of useless info from me again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

To the OP; this popped up on Tom's hardware facebook page this morning, might give you a few ideas, looks really nice.

http://m.tomshardware.com/news/HTPC-NES-Mod-Atom-Ion,12315.html

Advertisement