Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rail Travel from Dundalk to Connolly

Options
  • 02-03-2011 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Possibly moving jobs in the near future to Dublin City centre and can't see myself driving in each day..

Anyone know what the train journey is like early morning; are there seats available, which train is busiest/quietest etc??

Will need to be in Dublin for 9:00 so probably will be getting the 7:00 or 7:10 from Dundalk.

Any info is apreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭positron

If you can arrange with work to get in by 9:15, you could get the Enterprise. Quicker and much more comfortable than the normal commuter train imho. You should get seats on any train at any hour from Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TontoMurphy

Thanks... Might be an option... That leaves at 8:00?

I'd heard horror stories about people standing all the way from Dundalk to Connolly on a regular basis, just didn't know if it was scaremongering.

I have been getting various trains in the morning from Drogheda since 2005 - never had to stand on a commuter train coming from Dundalk. I almost never get a seat on Enterprise though - but when it get's to Drogheda there's always just a handful of free seats, which means everyone from Dundalk gets a seat.

In the evening, your best bet would be the same enterprise going back at 7:00 pm. You will always get a seat on that service too as it starts from Connolly, unlike the commuter trains that's already full when coming into Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

Thanks... Might be an option... That leaves at 8:00?

I'd heard horror stories about people standing all the way from Dundalk to Connolly on a regular basis, just didn't know if it was scaremongering.

I've only had to stand once in the last year on the enterprise. All the commuter trains start from Dundalk so you'll always have a seat on them, but they have way more stops. 7.10 train will have you in Pearse for around 8.50, 8 enterprise is in around 9.10 though this is partly due to current engineering works at Laytown so should be in before that once that's finished.

Coming home, the 4.50 is generally packed but you'd nearly always get a seat if your smart about it. Fridays on the 4.50 and 7 you could be standing unless your there 10 minutes before the train leaves, but even if your not there's often free seats with bags or coats on them that alot of people wouldn't bother to ask to be moved. So the classic 'is there someone sitting there?' will get ya sorted most times!

Thanks guys... Last one, annual commuter ticket on taxsaver.ie the way to go??

• Advertisement

Yes, and set aside some money for books, kindle, nook, ipad, psp etc too, and a decent earphone! :D

Will do... Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

You'll have no problem getting a seat on any train starting from Dundalk or even the enterprise,if you start at 9, then the 7.10 is the best train,if it's running on schedule,it gets into Pearse around 8.40,like a few people said the 8.00 enterprise is a good option,usually in around 9.05.

The 4.50 runs directly to Dundalk so is always a good option if you can make it, the 5.13 from Pearse to Dundalk is your next best bet,gets into Dundalk around 6.40,if you get on at Connolly you may have to stand until around Skerries,if you get on at Pearse you should have no problem getting a seat.

As far as prices go,I know the monthly is 260, not sure about the yearly or anything though.

Advertisement