Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting List ?

Options
  • 02-03-2011 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

Sorry wasn't sure what title to give the thread but cutting list is relevant I suppose !

I was a Cabinet Maker in a past life. Haven't worked in the trade for 5 years , I'm a pen pusher now ! I've got a 3 year old son and a 3 month old son. We need to buy a new bed for our 3 yr old and got thinking that in a year or two the 3 month old will be sharing his room so we might want bunks to save space.

We started to look at ones in Argos and that , that have 2 wardrobes with bed across the top and bed across the bottom. I'm sure you've an idea of what I am talking about. I thought the price was unreal , €750 ! ! !

I know its been a while since I've been cabinet making but I know I could do the same job at a cost of roughly €350 in plain MDF and then painted.
    I am just wondering can any one recommend some where to go that would break out a cutting list for you at a reasonable price ? I could borrow a van for a day , take it home and knock it up in the room no bother.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

B+Q will cut sheets to your measurements if you buy the sheets there, I think the first 3 cuts are free, 40 or 50 cent per cut after that. The sheets would probably be dearer than builder providers though. Strahan timber I think will cut for you too, I know they plane,I just haven't seen a saw up there. At least they would do you a deal if you bought enough,unlike b+q.

If that doesn't work out your welcome to cut them at my place,no charge. You measure and set the fence up mind:)
    Sorry,have to cancel that offer,could be insurance issues.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

dubtom wrote: »
    B+Q will cut sheets to your measurements if you buy the sheets there, I think the first 3 cuts are free, 40 or 50 cent per cut after that. The sheets would probably be dearer than builder providers though. Strahan timber I think will cut for you too, I know they plane,I just haven't seen a saw up there. At least they would do you a deal if you bought enough,unlike b+q.

If that doesn't work out your welcome to cut them at my place,no charge. You measure and set the fence up mind:)
    Sorry,have to cancel that offer,could be insurance issues.:o

OK thanks for that I will look into it at B&Q but now that you mention them I think Homebase do it to but it will cost a fortune ! ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

Hi Carra23 - woodworkers in harolds cross will cut the panels for you at a cost of €1.50 per panel. You can email or fax them the list or drop in, in person. The panels are ready within a day of ordering.
    www.woodworkers.ie

ynwa.

Hi Carra23 - woodworkers in harolds cross will cut the panels for you at a cost of €1.50 per panel. You can email or fax them the list or drop in, in person. The panels are ready within a day of ordering.
    www.woodworkers.ie

ynwa.

Ha ha ha like the YNWA, most on boards seem to think I'm a girl called Carra ! ! !

Cheers I will check that site out later

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Do you think MDF would be strong enough for the bed parts, ideal for the wardrobes but two young lads could give the beds a bit of a pounding.

• Advertisement

sfakiaman wrote: »
    Do you think MDF would be strong enough for the bed parts, ideal for the wardrobes but two young lads could give the beds a bit of a pounding.

Will use 2x4 or 2x3 for the bed parts and that should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

I find B&Q can be hit and miss on cuts, I've been told before they "Don't do project cuts" so basically they'll cut it into panels or small enough to fit in your car but that's about it, seems an awful waste of a nice big saw.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I've used Woodgrey in Coolock Industrial Estate a few times in the past - never had any problems.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    I've used Woodgrey in Coolock Industrial Estate a few times in the past - never had any problems.

Never heard of them but nice one because I would prefer some where on northside of Dublin, closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

im in naas and could cut them out for you i could just cut provide materials cut and deliver. i could also help with any design issues and materials

i wouldnt use plain mdf to hard to finish and paint but it is cheap alright

oh ye i could also spray paint aswell make it very easy for you

pm if it sounds like an option

• Advertisement
Advertisement