Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for venue for Civil Wedding

Options
  • 02-03-2011 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm getting married this summer this year and am looking for a venue for the ceremony only. I have the reception sorted.

The only stipulation is that it must be in or very close to the city centre.

Can recommendations?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Hi all,

I'm getting married this summer this year and am looking for a venue for the ceremony only. I have the reception sorted.

The only stipulation is that it must be in or very close to the city centre.

Can recommendations?

Cheers

The City Gaol, Blackrock Castle or the Everyman Palace are three that spring to mind first for cool spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Saw a wedding party coming out of the Vision Centre museum building once.

...Oh! They have a section on their website about it.

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Saw a wedding party coming out of the Vision Centre museum building once.

...Oh! They have a section on their website about it.

The big problem with the Vision centre is that bloody great big map of Cork city takes up a huge chunk of the room.

I think the HSE will supply a list of all the registered venues in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

That's a permanent thing? I didn't know. I guess it depends on numbers the OP has really.

Don't forget City Hall might be an option for you.*

*if it is, can I borrow a a tenner?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

What about Fitzgeralds Park, weather permitting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Would you not have it in the same place as your reception? Went to a wedding in January like that and it was brilliant not having to travel anywhere!

poconnor16 wrote: »
    What about Fitzgeralds Park, weather permitting?

You can't have a civil ceremony outdoors - it has to be in a structure with walls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Never knew that, thanks!
    What about the museum down there...I wonder would they facilitate something like that?

poconnor16 wrote: »
    Never knew that, thanks!
    What about the museum down there...I wonder would they facilitate something like that?

The reason I know is a friend of mine was researching it all late last year - they don't make it all easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Thanks for all you responses folks.

The museum in Fitzgeralds Park was actually our first though, but it doesn't really seem suitable with only exhibit rooms in the building. If it has some kind of art room we would have definatley jumped at the idea.

I would love to get married at the location of the reception but the OH has other ideas! :rolleyes:

The City Gaol, Blackrock Castle or the Everyman Palace should good also but are probably a little large. We are looking at having about 30-40 at the cermoney.

The Vision Centre museum looks a little large from the website but I will certainly give them a call to look more closely.

I asked one of the staff at the marraige registry for a list of pre approved place but she said she couldn't :confused: I will try again when we go there on Friday to register.

Any further thoughts or recommendations are welcome folks.

Thanks again

• Advertisement

The theatre space in Blackrock Castle is quite intimate - 40 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jerry2623

Thanks for all you responses folks.

The museum in Fitzgeralds Park was actually our first though, but it doesn't really seem suitable with only exhibit rooms in the building. If it has some kind of art room we would have definatley jumped at the idea.

I would love to get married at the location of the reception but the OH has other ideas! :rolleyes:

The City Gaol, Blackrock Castle or the Everyman Palace should good also but are probably a little large. We are looking at having about 30-40 at the cermoney.

The Vision Centre museum looks a little large from the website but I will certainly give them a call to look more closely.

I asked one of the staff at the marraige registry for a list of pre approved place but she said she couldn't :confused: I will try again when we go there on Friday to register.

Any further thoughts or recommendations are welcome folks.

Thanks again
    Why don't you give the Crawford art gallery a ring in Emmet place
    covers all the rules and have amazing rooms but not sure if they are into it

Forget about the museum, The curator there is off her head it opens at 11am closes for lunch for an hour and a half and closes again at 4:30 great spot but nobody in the Corpo has the balls to take her on so it is left as the most under used under visited attraction in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Thanks for all the responses folks. Went for the Ambassador on Military Hill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Thanks for all the responses folks. Went for the Ambassador on Military Hill :)

We did ours there last year and it was lovely :)

Advertisement