Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Other than checking ur blood sugars urself

Who do you go to see about management of it ?

Gp or specially dedicated clinic ?

Sorry type 2 here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Other than checking ur blood sugars urself

Who do you go to see about management of it ?

Gp or specially dedicated clinic ?

Sorry type 2 here

I'm type 2 also, I go to my GP every 6 months to have my prescription renewed and that's pretty much it. Since she added Glicklazide alongside my Metformin intake things have been excellent. I take full fat everything, lots of nuts and fruits for snacking on. However I have to watch out from late afternoon onwards as I tend to get low numbers in around the 3.5 range.

I'm still experimenting with my Glick, used too take 4 in the morn, now I spread 3 out across the day with a metformin and things are working out really well.

naasrd wrote: »
    I'm type 2 also, I go to my GP every 6 months to have my prescription renewed and that's pretty much it. Since she added Glicklazide alongside my Metformin intake things have been excellent. I take full fat everything, lots of nuts and fruits for snacking on. However I have to watch out from late afternoon onwards as I tend to get low numbers in around the 3.5 range.

I'm still experimenting with my Glick, used too take 4 in the morn, now I spread 3 out across the day with a metformin and things are working out really well.

whats that ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

whats that ?

An old drug that basically encourages Insulin release in patients. Very effective but only at the right stages in T2DM (in my opinion) and can cause hypoglycaemia so should be monitored carefully in patients using it. Used in conjunction with Diet and exercise, it can be incredibly effective in T2DM so long as there beta cell shaven't given in completely yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

CramCycle wrote: »
    Sorry, I just meant in terms of helping in regards your regime fit the new timezone, this was the advice from my DSN, although, honesty time, the last few times I went to the US or over near India for work, typically week long trips, I didn't do this and was fine for the few days.

This said I am weird and never suffer jet lag, so I may not be the best example, I can typically survive on 2 to 3 hours sleep a night for a few days so this may play into it.

Sorry, I didn't mean for my post to sound snappy.

• Advertisement

An old drug that basically encourages Insulin release in patients. Very effective but only at the right stages in T2DM (in my opinion) and can cause hypoglycaemia so should be monitored carefully in patients using it. Used in conjunction with Diet and exercise, it can be incredibly effective in T2DM so long as there beta cell shaven't given in completely yet.

Yeah, I have to keep an eye out early evenings for hypos. Particularly if I've had a low carb day.

Lets say ur blood sugar levels are high

How long does it usually take the body to get it back to a manageable level ( providing eating proper foods etc )

1 day ?

2 days ?

Longer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

How long does it usually take the body to get it back to a manageable level ( providing eating proper foods etc )

1 day ?

2 days ?

Longer ?

Depends how high, really. With a correction dose, normally 4-5 hours with me but with a very high level, (I've had the odd 20+) it can take 12 or more hours.

More difficult at night in that it takes longer, but during the day I can get 12-15s down in a few hours as I would be very active during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I have gestational diabetes so it should go away in a few months.

Can anyone recommend a decent pasta replacement? The chickpea pasta in Lidl has a really weird texture, the texture of slim noodles make me gag. I’m cooking for my partner and toddler as well so I’d like to keep my diet as normal as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Folks, has anyone had any experience in dealing with people with T1 and Dementia? Any resources you can point me towards?

• Advertisement

1 day ?

2 days ?

Longer ?

Usually takes about 3-4 hours if I've taken my foot off the pedal and carbed out. But it still wrecks my head, there's days I only have to look at a potato and my levels raise and days when I can have a decent portion of mash and nothing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

1 day ?

2 days ?

Longer ?

Depends on the reason. Before I gave up pizza, I'd be three days dealing with the high (type 1 btw). When I'm sick, I'm dealing with highs from pretty much the entire duration of whatever it is I have.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Depends on the reason. Before I gave up pizza, I'd be three days dealing with the high (type 1 btw). When I'm sick, I'm dealing with highs from pretty much the entire duration of whatever it is I have.

Same here, Pizza just ruins me for at least 12 hours if not 24hours. Doesn't matter whether I OD on Insulin or not, nothing brings it down. I love pizza but it is just to much hassle. Most other things I can get it down in 4 hours but Pizza is like Kryptonite to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,896 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Anyone of us here considering the mitigation of self-isolation for Covid-19 versus carrying on as usual?
    I note that we Diabetics are (As usual) amongst those groups listed as being particularly at risk.
    Understandably of course, and let's be quite honest our health is our most important asset.

I'm approaching the point of considering it now, the joys of spending days in University surrounded by not so hygienically aware young students.
    From looking at the way mumps has ripped through my campus, relying on common sense, hygiene and vaccination where it's available...
    isn't a viable option :P

So with that in mind, how do others here plan on ensuring their continuing good health?
    And good luck to all in ensuring it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I find it depends on the pizza - sour bread is a no no but a thin margherita pizza is fine.

On this virus I'm well placed thank goodness - work outside either on my own or with just one person, live alone. Shopping is probably the greatest risk but I have my own bag for life so no germs off trolley handles ;)

Same here, Pizza just ruins me for at least 12 hours if not 24hours. Doesn't matter whether I OD on Insulin or not, nothing brings it down. I love pizza but it is just to much hassle. Most other things I can get it down in 4 hours but Pizza is like Kryptonite to me.

Yeah, exactly the same. Not sure why it affects us in this way. I was a big fan of pizza too, but the highs for days after just weren't worth it.

And besides, Dominoes dont have goats cheese any more so it wasnt as hard a decision as i thought it might be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Hey all, Type 1 and 24 here, I go to Beaumont Hospital for my appointments.

I have very well controlled T1 and I was diagnosed 4 years ago now. I was just wondering what the story is with getting a pump and CGM on the LTI scheme and if anyone else has applied for them recently, particularly if you've done so through Beaumont. I'm handled by Prof Smith in the young diabetes clinic there. I remember asking a couple of years back but they said nobody can get a CGM on the LTI and they said maybe in the future for the pump.

I've seen people here talk about getting both covered by LTI so if anyone could give me some advice regarding how I can get these, it would be really appreciated. I'd love to get on the pump, it would make my life so much easier. I already do carb counting and have a strict diet, I tend to keep my glucose as low as possible and it often ends up treading the line to hypo territory, so I'm very aggressive and careful with my diabetes. My last HbA1c was 29.

Thanks all!

Have you tried splitting your insulin, most of the dose with the meal and a top-up a couple of hours later? Pizza is a huge carb load but also a huge amount of fat which slows down the full processing of the carbs. Dietician at the clinic advised me one time that the maximum amount of carbs your stomach can process in one go is about 80-100g; anything beyond that (as with pizza) is probably outlasting your initial bolus insulin, so the second dose may help.

Xofpod wrote: »
    Have you tried splitting your insulin, most of the dose with the meal and a top-up a couple of hours later? Pizza is a huge carb load but also a huge amount of fat which slows down the full processing of the carbs. Dietician at the clinic advised me one time that the maximum amount of carbs your stomach can process in one go is about 80-100g; anything beyond that (as with pizza) is probably outlasting your initial bolus insulin, so the second dose may help.

This is with double and triple doses, it does nothing. I could give my max bolus every 3 hours overnight and it would change nothing. The few times I do it I do split it but I still go mental, best i can hope for is to be under 20 the next morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

20 is massive the following day no matter what you're eating.

That said some things can have strangely powerful effects for me it is the plant extract Echinacea. I took it twice in a teaspoon and twice it sent my reading into space - about 30! :eek: So I never used it again. Now maybe I did it wrong but I see it is mentioned as a way of raising low levels when taken as a tea.

• Advertisement

This is with double and triple doses, it does nothing. I could give my max bolus every 3 hours overnight and it would change nothing. The few times I do it I do split it but I still go mental, best i can hope for is to be under 20 the next morning.

Could that be overdosing, with a hypo overnight in your sleep, and a mad bounce back in the morning? A CGM overnight would be the job for figuring out exactly what's happening.

I'm hoping to get one to figure out why my sugar goes mental overnight after a couple of beers. Is it the carbs in the pints, or a hypo overnight and bounce back, etc.?

Xofpod wrote: »
    Could that be overdosing, with a hypo overnight in your sleep, and a mad bounce back in the morning? A CGM overnight would be the job for figuring out exactly what's happening.

I'm hoping to get one to figure out why my sugar goes mental overnight after a couple of beers. Is it the carbs in the pints, or a hypo overnight and bounce back, etc.?

Had a CGM, nope it was pretty much through the ceiling all night, once I got it to come down to 7 and then take off again to be north of 17 before i wake up, 12 hours after the pizza.

Had a CGM, nope it was pretty much through the ceiling all night, once I got it to come down to 7 and then take off again to be north of 17 before i wake up, 12 hours after the pizza.

That's some serious pizza

Woke up at 2:30 with a low, 2.7. Damn this illness. Absolutely drained now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

I tried the Libre a few times and found that I have have crazy "Dawn Phenomenon". Some nights my glucose would be wobbling between 6 and 8 all night, then it would spike to about 18 half an hour before I woke up. It had nothing to do with what I was eating. Getting a fright or getting angry would do the same thing, so it must have something to do with adrenaline.

Day 6 of the semi lockdown, Cram changed the lancet in his finger pricker, he realised in that moment that he had exhausted all avenues for distraction :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9 metroline

Should diabetics be taking extra precautions now?

It's included on the HSE coronavirus page as one of the higher risks - does anybody know if we're at more risk of getting the virus, or more complications, higher mortality etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

metroline wrote: »

It's included on the HSE coronavirus page as one of the higher risks - does anybody know if we're at more risk of getting the virus, or more complications, higher mortality etc?

my guess is that it depends on whether you have fairly good control or not, if you do, then again - my guess - is that you are pretty much the same as any normal health person, but if you do have good regular control then you are at a higher risk. I am not a health professional, just a normal man with recent Type 1 diabetes, so if there are any experts out there reading this, is my guess correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,896 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Day 6 of the semi lockdown, Cram changed the lancet in his finger pricker, he realised in that moment that he had exhausted all avenues for distraction :(

You mean they don't last a lifetime?

Brilliant! Now I have something to do later :P

• Advertisement

metroline wrote: »

It is alot like the elderly line, statistically we are but it varies from person to person. Poorly controlled type 1s and type 2s are definetly more at risk IMO, but the main one for me for exampe is that while I have never had an issue with colds, flus or recovery from any illness, nor do I seem more predisposed than anyone else, there is no way to know how my body will react to this, so I could be high for days, low for days, up and down like a yo yo etc. All of which carry their own risk. So yes, but like normal, everyone should be taking those extra precautions, and as usual many won't but we should.

A friend once asked what was it like to have type 1 diabetes, it has improved alot and my response was, "you know all those things your doctor says you should do, and you lie to them and say you will but either don't or only do it intermittently, we actually have to do those things" I think the same applies here.

Just my opinion and not advice though, everyone is different.

Advertisement