Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Taeholic wrote: »
    Hi, I've tried both simultaneously and separately with very little impact. Although I should say I was just over the benchmark of being diabetic. At the time I was managing my diabetes through diet and exercise. I'm now on insulin, honeymoon is over but exercise and water intake are crucial for me managing my sugars. Good luck ðŸ‘

Cheers, Jesus it really is an uphill battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

not yet wrote: »
    Cheers, Jesus it really is an uphill battle.

You still have time to turn it around. Give the tablets a real try, they might work for you. Just take it one day at a time

You still have time to turn it around. Give the tablets a real try, they might work for you. Just take it one day at a time

Tried most things at this point, 2 BG readings last year showed 7ish, doc said basically I was diabetic. Went low carb, seemed to manage it, tried cinnamon, funagreek etc, Not huge changes. Maybe as you said, stick with this for a month at least. Had carbs and dessert on sat night and read 9.7 highest its been.

Tried most things at this point, 2 BG readings last year showed 7ish, doc said basically I was diabetic. Went low carb, seemed to manage it, tried cinnamon, funagreek etc, Not huge changes. Maybe as you said, stick with this for a month at least. Had carbs and dessert on sat night and read 9.7 highest its been.

I was you 18 months ago, good times lol I went from no medication to long acting insulin and now fast acting insulin too. Its a slippery slope but that is my personal experience.
    The good news is everyone is different and our bodies react differently. You sound proactive, keep trying. There is a honeymoon period with diabetes where diet and exercise are enough. I did low carb too and it worked but unfortunately for me there was a time limit. I've found fantastic information on this diabetes forum

Click the following link to join Diabetes Forum:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum

I was you 18 months ago, good times lol I went from no medication to long acting insulin and now fast acting insulin too. Its a slippery slope but that is my personal experience.
    The good news is everyone is different and our bodies react differently. You sound proactive, keep trying. There is a honeymoon period with diabetes where diet and exercise are enough. I did low carb too and it worked but unfortunately for me there was a time limit. I've found fantastic information on this diabetes forum

Click the following link to join Diabetes Forum:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum

Really reluctant to go on meds, but at 55 it's looking a more and more likely, what difference did the meds make to your like both positive and negative.

• Advertisement

Really reluctant to go on meds, but at 55 it's looking a more and more likely, what difference did the meds make to your like both positive and negative.

I was very reluctant too. Eventually I tried several types of tablets first but none of them agreed with me and my numbers kept climbing out of the blue from 7s to 10 plus even 10g carbs would send me through the roof. I started on solostar long acting insulin a year ago which again worked for a time. Then I got a very bad infection and had to start Novorapid fast acting insulin.

There is no quick fix in my experience but the Novorapid has really improved my energy levels, brain fog, feeling like myself again. Yes its pretty annoying injecting but I feel far better because of it. It takes time to adjust and its a pain bringing insulin everywhere along with hypo drink shots but I was out of options and I feel better. You get used to it.

Keep a good record of your numbers, exercise, stay hydrated and manage your diet. Tablets might be enough for you, they work for so many others. Make sure you attend your diabetes clinic appointments too

I was very reluctant too. Eventually I tried several types of tablets first but none of them agreed with me and my numbers kept climbing out of the blue from 7s to 10 plus even 10g carbs would send me through the roof. I started on solostar long acting insulin a year ago which again worked for a time. Then I got a very bad infection and had to start Novorapid fast acting insulin.

There is no quick fix in my experience but the Novorapid has really improved my energy levels, brain fog, feeling like myself again. Yes its pretty annoying injecting but I feel far better because of it. It takes time to adjust and its a pain bringing insulin everywhere along with hypo drink shots but I was out of options and I feel better. You get used to it.

Keep a good record of your numbers, exercise, stay hydrated and manage your diet. Tablets might be enough for you, they work for so many others. Make sure you attend your diabetes clinic appointments too

All I can say is thank you, that is about the clearest insight into where I'm at that I've read.

Take care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

@not yet.

The meds particularly the orals really can and do, do a great job in improving the numbers.
    Usually through either improving your own insulin response or by increasing glucose elimination via the kidneys.

There are other meds with other mods of action, your GP/Endo/Diabetes nurse are best placed to advise.

The injectables are quite good too.
    I was on Victoza for a number of years, gave me great control but a resurgence in a side effect meant it wasn't for me.

I've since moved to a long lasting insulin, but whilst that does offer great control, it does make my own weight control quite hard.

I've also managed @18months off insulin after undertaking a very strict calorie regime for 8 weeks.
    I posted updates at the time on thread, still took oral meds and managed really good glycemic control until a separate health issue wiped out my ability to maintain the gains.

Long story short: The meds and medical review will do you wonders.

All I can say is thank you, that is about the clearest insight into where I'm at that I've read.

Take care.

No problem. You know your own body better than anyone but attending the clinic will only help and support you on your journey.
    Just take it one day at a time. Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

Did anybody hear about this proposed new development, for digital watches that can monitor your glucose levels, could be a gamechanger I think:

https://9to5google.com/2021/01/25/samsung-smartwatch-blood-sugar-report/#:~:text=A%20report%20from%20ETNews%20claims,way%20that%20information%20is%20gathered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

banjobongo wrote: »
    Did anybody hear about this proposed new development, for digital watches that can monitor your glucose levels, could be a gamechanger I think:

https://9to5google.com/2021/01/25/samsung-smartwatch-blood-sugar-report/#:~:text=A%20report%20from%20ETNews%20claims,way%20that%20information%20is%20gathered.

There have been rumours about this for years now. After a quick google I have a post on a relatively reliable tech blog from 2017 talking about it:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/25/15685148/apple-watch-glucose-tracker-blood-sugar-monitoring-diabetes

And I'm almost certain this has been coming up before every apple watch release for the last few years. Obviously I hope that this rumour is better founded this time around, as it would be an amazing bit of tech. I'd consider switching to apple for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Xofpod

There have been rumours about this for years now. After a quick google I have a post on a relatively reliable tech blog from 2017 talking about it:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/25/15685148/apple-watch-glucose-tracker-blood-sugar-monitoring-diabetes

And I'm almost certain this has been coming up before every apple watch release for the last few years. Obviously I hope that this rumour is better founded this time around, as it would be an amazing bit of tech. I'd consider switching to apple for the first time.

Would be great to have the data feed of a CGM but based on blood readings rather than interstitial fluid. Absolute no-brainer for me if the technology worked and could be stood over by regulators.

But the article - it is expected to make a great contribution in assisting those with diabetes and normal people with managing their health.. It's tough being one of the mutant underclass....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What are your thoughts on the One Touch VerioReflect Glucose monitor?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I wouldn't expect the BG readings in a smart watch to be anything more than a mere curiosity type feature. Like having a heart rate reading on your watch is nice, but no medic treating you in hospital is going to be monitoring your watch to check your heart rate rather than an actual medical device sat next to them, or using their fingers to check your pulse.

Can't see a watch doing anything more that showing a very general reading of "you've eaten too much cake today" or "time for more cake". Not going to be live readings just from a watch that any of us would be able to make use of without some other implant or device linked to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Gael23 wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on the One Touch VerioReflect Glucose monitor?
    If its like the other One Touchs, I'd give it a miss until it's established whether it is actually accurate or not.
    robinph wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect the BG readings in a smart watch to be anything more than a mere curiosity type feature. Like having a heart rate reading on your watch is nice, but no medic treating you in hospital is going to be monitoring your watch to check your heart rate rather than an actual medical device sat next to them, or using their fingers to check your pulse.

Can't see a watch doing anything more that showing a very general reading of "you've eaten too much cake today" or "time for more cake". Not going to be live readings just from a watch that any of us would be able to make use of without some other implant or device linked to it.
    Same here, HR on my watch gives a ball park figure of whether it is high or low but its not accurate by any stretch of the imagination, CGM transmitting to a watch is ideal. Had it from my phone but i had to connect my meter to the phone and it was just awkward. Hopefully my next transmitter will be the newer Dexcom as apparently that will transmit straight to my watch and my bike computer on my commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

CramCycle wrote: »
    If its like the other One Touchs, I'd give it a miss until it's established whether it is actually accurate or not.
    e.

It’s just the one the hospital gave

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They get them free from reps, the old one has a rep of reading slightly too high, which is great if you are trying to get your HbA1c down but not great if you care about accuracy or your control is already half decent. I'd ring up and ask do they have any others lying around if you want a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

robinph wrote: »

Must admit I'm a little skeptical too - however the SO2 readings on my Apple watch 6 are in line with my finger reader (I also have sleep apnea), so we may be surprised yet

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

Personally after my experience of the trice damm thing reading high, I'd ask them for another.

The one I ended up with had a bluetooth link, so I could sync it with it's own app and also apple health - but the accuracy.. I complained to onetouch and was told that they were allowed to be up to *** 30% *** out

So my morning reading was 9.7 mmol/L on the OneTouch. On the other *two* meters (one is my RIP father's) I'm seeing 6.2.

Must remember that next time I submit things that are incorrect, I can say if it's alright for a medical device, must be alright for everyone else (only a small) :/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

davork wrote: »
    Must admit I'm a little skeptical too - however the SO2 readings on my Apple watch 6 are in line with my finger reader (I also have sleep apnea), so we may be surprised yet

It's the speed of change that I'm doubtful the optical sensor would be able to pick up. Would potentially be OK for figuring out an average over an hour or day for the general population. Would be a long way from being rated as a replacement for blood or current CGM methods of measuring.

Even the Libre developed by a medical company with direct interest in providing devices directly for diabetics and approved for use for insulin dosing, wasn't approved for use during driving in the UK until it was out for several years, and even then still requires a blood test in certain circumstances.

Apple and Samsung watches are not going to replace blood tests for insulin dosing for a loooong time yet, even if the tech they have come up with can respond quickly and reliably enough.

• Advertisement

davork wrote: »
    Personally after my experience of the trice damm thing reading high, I'd ask them for another.

The one I ended up with had a bluetooth link, so I could sync it with it's own app and also apple health - but the accuracy.. I complained to onetouch and was told that they were allowed to be up to *** 30% *** out

So my morning reading was 9.7 mmol/L on the OneTouch. On the other *two* meters (one is my RIP father's) I'm seeing 6.2.

Must remember that next time I submit things that are incorrect, I can say if it's alright for a medical device, must be alright for everyone else (only a small) :/

I have a Onetouch verio and I persist with it because the connectivity is quite handy, it saves me having to lug a diary to my review appts ;)
    Theres also the added benefit of my HbA1c always being lower than the predicted "comparator" in the app.

I am not reliant upon its readings for insulin dosing however, and if I was?
    I'd be swapping it ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sylvanb

Looking for some advice here, received an e-mail from hospital saying that my son's pump is out of warranty soon. The options are the Medtronic 640G or the Medtronic 780G which is due later this year.

He currently has a Minimed Paradigm Veo - 754. He uses the Freestyle Libre rather than the Contour link. If we opt for the 780G , they will just extend the warranty on the Veo until it's available.

As I understand the 780G will require a enlite sensor which last for 6 days as opposed to the Libre which is 14 days - he is used to the Libre at this stage so moving from changing a sensor every 6 days is not something he is happy about.

Any thoughts on what would the best option would be welcome.

Thanks

A documentary about a Radio 1xtra DJ (nope I'd not heard of the station or the DJ either) who for some reason decided to have a go at running an ultra marathon last December with only a months training. Now that is pretty daft plan... but then he gets diagnosed with Type 1:

Interesting to see him go through the diagnosis and the emotions hitting him and how that effects his plans. Hopefully we get part two of the documentary in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

sylvanb wrote: »
    Looking for some advice here, received an e-mail from hospital saying that my son's pump is out of warranty soon. The options are the Medtronic 640G or the Medtronic 780G which is due later this year.

He currently has a Minimed Paradigm Veo - 754. He uses the Freestyle Libre rather than the Contour link. If we opt for the 780G , they will just extend the warranty on the Veo until it's available.

As I understand the 780G will require a enlite sensor which last for 6 days as opposed to the Libre which is 14 days - he is used to the Libre at this stage so moving from changing a sensor every 6 days is not something he is happy about.

Any thoughts on what would the best option would be welcome.

Thanks

Hands down go with the 780g. The guardian sensor lasts 7 days, but the functionality with the pump is absolutely worth it. The guardian sensor is way better than the Libre as well.

I have the 670g and honestly it keeps me in range 90% of the time with little or no interaction. The 780g adds more functionality to keep you in range too. There are new features to it as well that are improvements on the 670g. So when my pump is out of warranty next year I’ll update to it.

Has anyone tried the Freestyle Libre free trial offer?
    I signed up for it recently and got the voucher code, went through the checkout process but it seems to have failed out at the payment itself and my order is showing as payment pending?

Anyone encountered similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

banie01 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Freestyle Libre free trial offer?
    I signed up for it recently and got the voucher code, went through the checkout process but it seems to have failed out at the payment itself and my order is showing as payment pending?

Anyone encountered similar?

I got the free trial. Had no problems, sensor is long gone! :)

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I got the free trial. Had no problems, sensor is long gone! :)

My free libre sensor arrived this morning, just applied it now and here's to 14 days data to mull over when I'm through.

If it's as useful in managing my BG as I hope?
    I'll probably end up buying it monthly and then burning the ear off my Endo team until they get sick of me and write a script ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Donutz

banie01 wrote:
    If it's as useful in managing my BG as I hope? I'll probably end up buying it monthly and then burning the ear off my Endo team until they get sick of me and write a script

I find them extremely useful and they definately have helped me reduce my hba1c by quite a bit. You get a better understanding of how your sugar levels react to different foods.

The trend arrows are also extremely handy.

Not sure if a script from the endo will cover them under the LTI scheme though. If that was the case, I'd imagine they would be prescribing them for all diabetics.

[quote="Donutz;116266281"
    Not sure if a script from the endo will cover them under the LTI scheme though. If that was the case, I'd imagine they would be prescribing them for all diabetics.[/quote]

The Endo will be primed with stories of control difficulty and if necessary hypo insensitivity ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,739 ✭✭✭✭kippy

banie01 wrote: »
    The Endo will be primed with stories of control difficulty and if necessary hypo insensitivity ;)

Linked to this but a query that may have been answered here.

I got diagnosed with Type 1 last April or so.
    I informed my car insurer and NDLS not long after.

My insurance is due for renewal shortly (I've been with the same company broker now for nearly a decade I'd say, and the main reason is they will match or better any other renewal price I've gotten elsewhere.

So, will this add a bit/lot to my car insurance cover? And what linkage, if any, does insurance cover have to Hypo insensitivity or otherwise?
    I have good control, could do with losing some weight though, and do not suffer from hppo insensitivity.

Will the insurance company require a medical and/or doctors report?
    What kind increase MIGHT I be looking at.

This has been a great thread so thanks in advance.

Advertisement