Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Wanton wrote: »

I am arranging and appointment with my GP, armed with CGM guidelines and will see how it goes.

If your Gp is like mine, just right down what you need and tell him its covered under the LTI. Only issue you may face is certain aspects, for example, my Medtronic is covered by LTI but the sensor itself has to be ordered through the hospital AFAIK but try it and you might get lucky. Even if you only had to pay for the sensor it would be a huge saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Hi I'm a type one for the past 20+ years and have found in the past year my sensitivity to humalog has decreased resulting in having to give more humalog, which has increased my weight a lot. Has anyone advice on how to tackle this resistance. I try walk as much as possible but my hip and back are giving me issues, which are obviously not helped by the weight gain. How is this treated normally?

Three options come to mind, and one requires your team to come in. The ones I suggest are changing your types of exercise, it's intensity and the muscle groups it's working. Change your diet is another simple one but really tough to achieve. Finally, and you need to talk to a doctor about this, change insulin if all else fails and look at a CGM to see what's really happening behind the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭hadepsx

CramCycle wrote: »
    Three options come to mind, and one requires your team to come in. The ones I suggest are changing your types of exercise, it's intensity and the muscle groups it's working. Change your diet is another simple one but really tough to achieve. Finally, and you need to talk to a doctor about this, change insulin if all else fails and look at a CGM to see what's really happening behind the scenes.

Thanks again for your thoughts. I was looking at the keto diet. Is that safe for diabetics? Looks too good to be true, as it's supposedly good for lowering blood sugars and insulin resistance, along with weight loss. Or has any other type one's here tried it. I'm just worried about blood sugars going through the roof, as I need to be extra careful now due to having diabetic retinopathy.

• Advertisement

hadepsx wrote: »
    Thanks again for your thoughts. I was looking at the keto diet. Is that safe for diabetics? Looks to good to be true, as it's supposedly good for lowering blood sugars and insulin resistance, along with weight loss.
    Start a food diary now, see what you eat, and slowly start cutting out bits or replacing them with more nutritionally dense alternatives. It will take longer but the weight will drop, the insulin requirement will lower. You won't get the results you want in a month but you will get the results you need in a few months and they will hold for years. I found the act of keeping a food diary by itself beneficial as you actually think about stuff.

Personal opinion alert. It is safe if you actually follow it properly. Most people just stick constantly to the ketogenic beginning state because you see a load of superficial benefits. Most of the reliable ones though have you slowly come back to eating a normal, balanced, healthy diet after a period of time. So for me, no, its not dangerous provided you come slowly back to a normal balanced diet that suits your energy and nutritional needs. If you stay eating the severe side of it permanently, it won't be good long term although it will feel it. To be honest though, asking about diets on the internet is liking handing a toddler a loaded gun and hoping they won't accidentally shoot you with it.

Its also really hard to drastically switch diets and almost all attempts fail because they are a temporary patch on other issues. I went to a great talk by Prof Carel Le Roux years ago on it, and when you see the data, it is no wonder most diets fail. He was looking at the hormonal changes in the body and how diets, surgeries and drug interventions affected various hormones in the body. We are primed not to succeed if we can help it. Will power alone is not enough for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Just got diagnosed last week. Head is spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

dubstarr wrote: »

Hi and welcome (may not be the best term but you know what I mean).
    You'll probably be bombarded with lots of information in the coming weeks but look at it this way. You know what you have now - you can do something about it.
    Take your time and ask anything you think you may need to ask here, have a read through the thread. There is lots of support and information out there.
    Was diagnosed March last year with T1 - so not that far down the road from you, but things are under control now, with more to do.

kippy wrote: »
    Hi and welcome (may not be the best term but you know what I mean).
    You'll probably be bombarded with lots of information in the coming weeks but look at it this way. You know what you have now - you can do something about it.
    Take your time and ask anything you think you may need to ask here, have a read through the thread. There is lots of support and information out there.
    Was diagnosed March last year with T1 - so not that far down the road from you, but things are under control now, with more to do.

Thanks i was diagnosed with Type 2

Thanks i was diagnosed with Type 2

Once the head stops spinning, the only important thing I can say is it is not the end of the world and is quite a manageable illness. For now, you have been diagnosed which means you now know about it and can do something. Personally I have no self control and am a terrible person in regards looking after myself and in this regard, having Diabetes probably has extended my life quite substantially as i have to try to look after myself, I am certain I would be in far worse health without it. Let us know if you have any questions or queries. Have you been attached to a hospital yet? I've noticed on different Diabetes groups that people can go years without getting linked to a hospital, so if you haven't had this done yet, get onto your GP and get linked to a Diabetes care team. My only other bit of advice in the short term without knowing anything is listen to your nurses.

• Advertisement

Do you think the ability to see the BG readings continuously may actually lead to overthinking and hampering a race performance?

I race bikes and to be honest, the temptation to turn off my pump alarm for the race is getting stronger, you can't tell if you are low or high and everyone around you thinks a mobile is ringing. Once another guy rolled upto me and asked me was it me, as he thought it was his own but it wasn't vibrating :pac:

I'd never take insulin as you are asking for trouble but having the data on my bike computer or watch is great, takes the stress out of it and I can turn off the alarms without concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Once the head stops spinning, the only important thing I can say is it is not the end of the world and is quite a manageable illness. For now, you have been diagnosed which means you now know about it and can do something. Personally I have no self control and am a terrible person in regards looking after myself and in this regard, having Diabetes probably has extended my life quite substantially as i have to try to look after myself, I am certain I would be in far worse health without it. Let us know if you have any questions or queries. Have you been attached to a hospital yet? I've noticed on different Diabetes groups that people can go years without getting linked to a hospital, so if you haven't had this done yet, get onto your GP and get linked to a Diabetes care team. My only other bit of advice in the short term without knowing anything is listen to your nurses.

Agree 100%.
    1 - it is manageable but you will need a bit of time to get over the shock, which is a real thing and can put you in a tailspin for a while
    2 - it is something you will be able to control and can well lead to a healthier lifestyle and better health outcomes for you in the longer term. I think, like Cramcycle above, it has for me (T1).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I race bikes and to be honest, the temptation to turn off my pump alarm for the race is getting stronger, you can't tell if you are low or high and everyone around you thinks a mobile is ringing. Once another guy rolled upto me and asked me was it me, as he thought it was his own but it wasn't vibrating :pac:

I'd never take insulin as you are asking for trouble but having the data on my bike computer or watch is great, takes the stress out of it and I can turn off the alarms without concern.

Have had someone comment on my pump towards the end of a race, they had obviously been chasing me down for a while and it must have been bugging them what cables I had coming out of my waist. They must have been medical or a parent of a diabetic to know what it was though. Also flashed my Libre a few times at the start of races to other wearers, or very occasionally seen another one on an arm in a marathon whilst running. People also thinking I'm sending text messages whilst scanning in the middle of a race.

Less good when I'm trying to sneakily draft behind some on a windy trail race so I can then beat them on the next corner before they realise I'm there, then the alarm to remind me the pump is on zero basal goes off and my cunning tactics are revealed. :)

At least I can change my settings whist racing without falling off a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

hadepsx wrote: »
    Thanks again for your thoughts. I was looking at the keto diet. Is that safe for diabetics? Looks too good to be true, as it's supposedly good for lowering blood sugars and insulin resistance, along with weight loss. Or has any other type one's here tried it. I'm just worried about blood sugars going through the roof, as I need to be extra careful now due to having diabetic retinopathy.

I would suggest low carb rather then keto itself. I have cut out a lot of the high carb foods such as bread, rice pasta etc. Plenty of healthy, tasty low carb foods around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

hi guys
    for those T1 who go cycling, tpyically what level of bloods would you like to see before starting out on a cycle?

banjobongo wrote: »
    hi guys
    for those T1 who go cycling, tpyically what level of bloods would you like to see before starting out on a cycle?

I don't really have any, if they are high I find low intensity stuff will drop them fairly quick, if they are OK, just ride normally and if they are low, just take some food so none have stopped me although high bloods does tend to sap my enthusiasm for getting on the bike. Everyone is different though, so be careful. I used to meet triathletes who would do random sprints and redline to get a glucose dump from the liver to deal with hypos.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I used to meet triathletes who would do random sprints and redline to get a glucose dump from the liver to deal with hypos.

I have done this a couple of times during races...but you can only do it once. So I don't think it would be much use for me in marathons for example as unlikely to be able to do it towards the end as the legs wouldn't be able to go quick enough, and doing it at the beginning and I'd then have too far left to go for it to be a useful tactic.

I have done it on a 10km and a cross country race (about equivalent distance/ duration) and when just over half way round and notice the levels are dropping a bit too quick for my liking that I'd not make it to the finish and any consumed hypo treatment likely won't make any difference before the finish.... so then drop the hammer and freak out those around you as you bang in a finish line type sprint half way round. It did work, but only for certain situations.

For the bike it's easier to consume solid foods on the way to replenish reserves, but I still don't think it's something you should rely on. Only for emergency use.

Well thats how i was diagnosed.
    Woke up 2 weeks ago,not well.Went to the dr with headaches,ill fuzzy eyes.
    Dr took my blood pressure,straight to A&E, taken in for 9 days.

Blood pressure was way up,done loads of tests and i was given the news i had T2.Plus high blood pressure, high cholestreal,

So im under the stroke team in the mater. Being strict on my times to eat as well. Because i have a habit of not eating all day, i know thats not good.

So can i ask about snacks.Im not a mad snack eater but now and again i fancy something.Im more of a savouray snack person.

So say instead of Tayto,what could i have.

Thanksso much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Blood pressure was way up,done loads of tests and i was given the news i had T2.Plus high blood pressure, high cholestreal,

So im under the stroke team in the mater. Being strict on my times to eat as well. Because i have a habit of not eating all day, i know thats not good.

So can i ask about snacks.Im not a mad snack eater but now and again i fancy something.Im more of a savouray snack person.

Thanksso much.

Welcome to the forum, everyone is so lovely here.

Try get referred to an endocrinologist. The main thing is dont panic and try not get overwhelmed (easier said that done I know)

I'm also type 2. I try keep as low carb as been I can. I too am more so a savoury person.

My favourite snack is cherry tomatoes sometimes I'll mix them with onion, lettuce, salt,pepper and mayo.

Sometimes I'll snack on some cheese or eggs, carrots and hummus if I'm feeling it. Turkey or ham slices from a deli too.

It's rare but sometimes I will eat a small apple with cashew butter. Berries can be good too particularly strawberries and blackberries.

Are you eating a huge amount in one sitting then? I often don't eat for a good chunk of the day, it isn't as bad as some would have you believe but if you then sit down and pack away enough for the full day in one sitting at the end of the day, that is bad.

Thanksso much.
    I love tayto so the wrong person to ask, if you like the taste, something with alot of root veg, raw carrots (if you like them) are great, not calorie dense but will fill you. Fruit is fine if you aren't having a huge amount (lots of sugar).

• Advertisement

Are you eating a huge amount in one sitting then? I often don't eat for a good chunk of the day, it isn't as bad as some would have you believe but if you then sit down and pack away enough for the full day in one sitting at the end of the day, that is bad.

I love tayto so the wrong person to ask, if you like the taste, something with alot of root veg, raw carrots (if you like them) are great, not calorie dense but will fill you. Fruit is fine if you aren't having a huge amount (lots of sugar).

No im having 3 meals a day ,breakfast lunch and dinner.

Im finding it ok, just missing the snacking a bit.
    Drinking plenty of water.

Whats the take on the diabetic food,is it worth it.

N
    Whats the take on the diabetic food,is it worth it.

Nope, for either type 1 or type 2, it is either sweetener infested which will give you the runs if you have too much or its just regular food you are paying over the odds for. If you really need something sweet or bold, try and save it as a treat. Same with tayto, get the small bags, one a day max and stick to it.

Plenty of water is a good thing. Just try and do your best to cut down on calorie/carb rich foods as best you can. like I said earlier, a food diary is a great idea, help you identify what you are actually eating and the act alone will probably make you take less. If you can identify something you like thats low in carbs etc, always keep some nearby.

I talk as if I am some holier than though type who does this all the time, I break on a regular basis, what you really need in the beginning is for your good days to out number your bad ones.

Are you getting much exercise in? Will improve insulin sensitivity if you aren't doing much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Dubstarr, looking at my first post it looks like I'm sticking with my little snacks... I'm an utter fiend for crisps. I was doing good not eating them but then lockdown 3 hit and now it's a small multi pack with my lunch.

Stay away from diabetic foods...you'll only get the sh*ts

Thanks everyone,yes I've started walking just to get used to some exercise.
    Thanks very much,you've all been a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

In relation to snacks baby Bell light is my go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭leche solara

Thanks everyone,yes I've started walking just to get used to some exercise.
    Thanks very much,you've all been a great help.

I was diagnosed a few months ago and was convinced they had made a mistake. I was told that because the HbA1c test measures a period of 3-4 months that there was no mistake. I'm still not totally convinced but I'm accepting it and playing by the rules.

Exercise is absolutely key. It uses up excess sugar in the blood and gets your figures down. If you've started walking, which is good, aim to get in 10,000 steps a day. Doesn't have to be all in the one session.

I assume you have been told about and applied for the long term illness (LTI) card which means your diabetes medication is free.

Initially you well be overwhelmed with information but after a while you will know what to pay attention to and what can be ignored. You'll probably be also surprised at the number of diabetics who are out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So it turns out only crap diabetics will be bumped up the list.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1364349835202220036

001647df-614.jpg?ratio=0.75

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

So it turns out only crap diabetics will be bumped up the list.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1364349835202220036

001647df-614.jpg?ratio=0.75
    "Crap" diabetics is not exactly a fair way to describe patients who aren't doing well for whatever reason. 58 is comparatively low in terms of long term control, >62 was what I thought was uncontrolled.

Edit: and even above 62, that is not a way to describe them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ignore me I'm prone to flippant comments! Anyway thems the rules, will they demand evidence of your most recent lab tested samples? If so will they need to be relatively recent to count?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Ignore me I'm prone to flippant comments! Anyway thems the rules, will they demand evidence of your most recent lab tested samples? If so will they need to be relatively recent to count?
    I was wondering this. As clinics have been hugely disrupted in the past year, I figured maybe it might be an outpatient-led rollout where longer-term averages are more important. In terms of "cumulative damage" the long term approach makes sense, but then I don't know the exact criteria by which HbA1c results factor into covid risk. My educated guess is it's the former, but it might have to be the most recent test for logistical reasons.

Advertisement