Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

My doctor told me that once a week is fine, before eating. Then do 3 in a day every now and again, before breakfast and after 2 meals. I would ask your doctor what they recommend.

hey!

i picked up my dexcom g6 yesterday and will set it up later or tomorrow, i didn't need the training in the clinic as i done it with my dad recently too, but they handed me the box that was opened and they took the receiver and said i wont need one as my phone is compatible....is this normal practice? just i was unsure if id use my phone or the reciever, anyone care to give me advice on if phone or receiver is better? not a major issue anyways as im sure it is handier to use the app just found it strange

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I ended up getting a new phone to read it (didn't know there was alternative software at the time that would work). I never even got the option of a receiver. The transmitter and sensors just arrived in the post. Still haven't heard anything from Dexcom about it.

thanks, i rang dexcom and they said the hospital ordered one so if i wanted it to ring them, rang them and they posting it up they just assumed i wouldnt use it.

going well so far using it but the spikes between meals look frightening until the levels are in normal range at the next meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Anyone here on Ozempic?

I recently moved over to it from insulin (Tresiba). Had 4 weeks of 0.25mg (once weekly) and now into my 2nd week of 0.5mg once weekly.

Appetite completely gone. Lost the best part of a stone over the 6 weeks! Feeling nauseous quite a bit.

Any idea how long these side effects last?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'm on it for Type 2. I changed my time to late in the evening before bedtime and I'm not affected by the nauseous feeling now. I think that could be a permanent side effect.

Started going off food that I would usually eat, loss of appetite - Going on over 12 months

Matt Cooper of Today FM lost 11kgs in 12 months. Thank you Semaglutide......😀

Same here T2

I usually take it on a Saturday morning. Never thought of switching the time. I'll give it a go and see how it works

Go to Friday or Saturday night instead, you won't know it. Definitely better to change, as I presume you'll go up to 1mg per week when you've done your 0.5mg cycle.

No mention of increasing past 0.5mg so far. Consultant just said to start on 0.25 to get used to it and then tip away at 0.5

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Was at the clinic in St.James and I have to say they're brilliant over there. Very knowledgeable, always very helpful, etc.

Why I'm posting now though is to share something I picked up which may be old news to many but was the first time I'd seen it - the new Novopen 5 for Novorapid penfills. It comes with a little LCD face on the end which displays the amount of your last dose and how many hours ago it was. For me, it's a nifty little gadget - who hasn't at some point had a brainfreeze and forgotten whether they'd just taken their shot or not? - but for people with memory issues or cognitive impairments (and their carers), this will be a fantastic benefit. My mother is in this category and I'm going to talk her through it at the weekend and see if I can get her on it asap. It's only a small technical tweak but could be of great reassurance and comfort to people.

I'll give the caveat that I haven't used it yet but it just strikes me as a brilliant idea, simply executed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭CalisGirl

Diabetes Ireland are having a free webinar this evening from 7-8pm on Emotional Wellness and Diabetes. It looks interesting and helpful to me so I'm just posting the details. For the registration link contact Diabetes Ireland. "The focus of this webinar is dealing with mental health and emotional wellbeing. Some may feel they cope well with their emotional and mental wellbeing, which is great, while others may feel differently and in need of support from time to time.

This webinar will discuss in-depth the important topic of how to maintain emotional wellbeing and resilience when living with diabetes.

If this is something that may interest you or someone you know,why not register today.

We are delighted to be joined by special guest speaker Dr Mark Davies, who is the Consultant Clinical Psychologist at Belfast City Hospital."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I've been given the option of the Tslim + G6 sensor of the 780G plus G4 sensor. Anyone much experience with either? Both will be closed loop systems which I am very excited about but my only other real want is to display it on my bike computer, not sure of the G4 can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That's interesting, as I've been now told that 780G and guardian 4 is not approved for use in Ireland. I spoke to Medtronic directly on Friday and they confirmed that guardian 4 is not approved in Ireland. Although she was slightly confused by that, and told me she would send me an email when she got more info.

I'll update this thread with all further info. There's no way in hell I'm getting a Guardian 3 when G4 is here. Pump is currently out of warranty now, so I might be forced to get Tandem and Dexcom.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've got the T:slim X2 which I'm very happy with. Only negative compared to my previous Animas is that it's not totally clear if the pump is waterproof or not. I just take it off for swimming, it's perfectly fine for getting drenched in weather though. Don't have the sensor to close the loop, although things are gradually changing over here and funding might be possible soon. At the moment I just run open loop with my Libre.

I think that the tandem app has just been authorised for linking with phones in the US, but its currently impossible to install or link to the pump over here. That should give you the possibility of a bike display when that comes along. Think that the G6 can be linked to the xdrip app, which would definitely then allow a link through to Garmin data fields. Not certain that you can link the G6 to the pump and the phone at the same time though, so that would be something to research.

I am only going by the nurse and it was my first appointment in 3 years so maybe I misheard but she was talking about upgrades, so maybe I put the G4 in there but I thought she did. My DSN is brilliant, very much on top of everything and knows everything going on and coming out down the line.

Yep, I have seen the G6 can be added as a data field either direct to Garmin or via Xdrip to the Wahoo, so maybe this is the way I'll go with it then. They did say I'd be one of the first on it, and they don't have the same experience that they do with the Medtronic system but no pressure either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Hi All, I was out and about at the weekend and lost my insulin pen and carry pouch. Obviously have plenty of spare pens, so no issue on that front, but I now have no pouch at all for carrying pens and Needles. I checked in with the clinic and they said they have none at the moment. And have contacted a few local chemists and they also say they have none in stock.

Was wondering if anyone has any recommendations of where they might be sourced easily (and preferably cheaply 😀)

Haven't used pens in awhile, but I remember a few people in clinic who had just gotten fountain pen hardcases, which you can get cheap online, just make sure they are the right length. The other option is a stationary shop and a hard (or soft) pencicase.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So I finally got some clarity on this 780G and Guardian 4 from the head of Medtronic diabetes in Ireland.

The Guardian 4 CGM is not available in Ireland yet, and it is still going through the approval stage. Medtronic expect to have this approved 'in the coming months', but they were very vague and I get the impression that there is little certainty on the timeline.

She also mentioned that there would be some sort of upgrade program for those who get a 780G now with Guardian 3, to move to Guardian 4. However the process is not set in stone for that, or how it would work. Which is concerning as it is possible that this promised upgrade program may not work out as they say it should. She did say that I should reach out to here in a few weeks for an update.

There is significant difference between a 780G with G3 and 780G with G4. Asides from the removal of a need to calibrate the sensor 3 times a day, there is auto bolus and more advanced auto-basal.

Or do I abandon Medtronic entirely and go with Tandem+Dex. I read great things about the system online, and it is tempting.

I went with the T slim anyway. On the guardian 3 sensor at the minute, it is grand, not as bad as I hear elsewhere but not as accurate as the Libre was or the old dexcom I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Has anybody had a severe skin allergy to the dexcom adhesive and found a solution ?

Thanks in advance for any advice or help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Back from Newcastle on Thursday, after getting my next 6 months of Noctura 400 masks.

Scans again show no changes, which is good. Over 3 years since my last bleed.

Just one thing in case anybody is going to an optician, ask them to check for ingrowing eyelashes. I had to get a few plucked out on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭uli84

I’m sick of medtronic products, and the whole malarky of transmitter/sensor compatibility or the lack of it. Also seems like newer sensor is worse than the previous which is ridiculous. Any idea how to approach the hospital about the system change? Or should i just try and go private? Or change hospitals…

Also, is Omnipod dash available in Ireland? Is it any good? I really like that it doesn't have all those wires and stuff and uses the app...

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Glad to read some people are getting the T-slim with the dexcom. I had my latest endo appointment on Thursday and have said I'd like to move onto this from mdi. My control is very good but I'm hoping the close loop will help reduce nighttime lows. I'm exhausted with the dexcom going off at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Is anyone here encountering neuralgia/neuropathy either due to or incidental to their diabetes and struggling to manage the pain?

I have an ongoing issue that stems originally from a thrombosed varicocele and that lead to ilioinguinal and other nerves being impinged as well causing renal colic, phlebitis and congestion.

No surgical fix for it as yet and the usual course of action involves high strength anti-inflammatories. Unfortunately Diabetes rules those out for me outside of hospital. Currently struggling to manage on a combo of Gapabentine and opioids. I am having amitriptyline added into the mix next week in an effort to at least give me some longer periods without opioids.

I've heard good things re the Gabapentin & Amitriptyline combo for neuralgia, so fingers crossed.

If anyone here has similar difficulty in managing neuralgia/neuropathy that could well be helped by anti-inflammatory meds and has found a way to manage it? I'd love hear the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Wow just had my t2 diabetes reiew today I was charged €80 for ten minutes chat with go an bloods were excluded from that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Do you not get your review done in a hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Loca hospital is ten minutes away but I was never referred to that

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Feck that I wouldnt be paying for a review. I certainly wouldn't trust a GP to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

If you have good control GP will not refer you to hospital ! have to shed €80 twice a year for blood forms/ECG and prescription.

Advertisement