Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It was only when I took the needle out of my leg that I realised that I had given myself 18 units of Novarapid along with my 3 unit corrective dose so I now have 21 units of Novarapid in my system at 10.45 at night. Great night ahead and of course tomorrow is no normal day where I have nothing to do, I have my graduation from college in the morning and lots to get ready before that. Sitting down now with a hunk of wholemeal bread and jam waiting to see where this is going. The most I have ever taken before is 11 units before a big dominos meal for 3.

Only one thing for it:
    20120221-IMG_0010-2ed.jpg

LUCOZADE PARTY!!!

I'd use it as an excuse to get a few of those things your not normally allowed, good luck with the morning, its a fine line trying to get enough into you to counteract the insulin without shooting off to high but experience tells me to err on the side of caution and have that hyper in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Its Thursday night and we do our shopping on Friday so the cupboards are bare tonight, nothing nice in at all. I was half thinking of ordering a chinese but I could probably do without that at this time of night. The bread is doing ok so far, probably the healthiest thing I could have to combat it.
    I have the lucozade at hand and the wife had a refresher course on the Glucagen kit. I wouldent mind as much but I was going to go to bed, now I have to stay up for a few hours.
    Never a dull day with diabetes!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Its Thursday night and we do our shopping on Friday so the cupboards are bare tonight, nothing nice in at all. I was half thinking of ordering a chinese but I could probably do without that at this time of night. The bread is doing ok so far, probably the healthiest thing I could have to combat it.
    I have the lucozade at hand and the wife had a refresher course on the Glucagen kit. I wouldent mind as much but I was going to go to bed, now I have to stay up for a few hours.
    Never a dull day with diabetes!:)
    Drink two small bottles of lucozade and get yourself to bed

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Drink two small bottles of lucozade and get yourself to bed

I'm very sensitive to insulin at the best of times and I was even worried about taking the corrective dose as I often have hypos in my sleep when I take one at night so I think I'll just sit up for a while more. I'm keeping at about a steady 9 for now, I've eaten a good bit of bread and taking regular mouthfuls of lucozade, checking my blood every 20 to 30 minutes just to keep a good eye on it. It should be at its peak time now or just past it so I'll give it another hour and see how I am then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Hope that you got through the night OK and good luck today (congrats on your graduation)! I get my husband to look when I take my nighttime - I find that this helps.

• Advertisement

Sounds like you had it well under control and your a better man than me, I would have been down to the Chinese.

Good Luck with the graduation today, have a great day, as I tell my students, its all down hill from here (and not in a "its easy from now on" kind of way) :eek:

only messin'

Not going to bother with the graduation. I still had a reading of 8 units of active insulin at 3am so I couldent go to bed with that. I eventually got to sleep at about 4.30am then was woken by the baby at 5.30 looking for a bottle. Then my 4 year old son came in at 6.30 and said he had wet the bed so I had to get up and deal with that, then at 7am my daughter came in and told me the 4 year old had just puked in his bed. My wife went in to him and found he had puked, peed and pooed in his bed so that was the end of any sleeping. He was up puking and pooing for the next hour while I was downstairs getting my daughter ready for fancy dress day in school.
    I am so tired the last thing I want to do is go down and stand in a queue for half an hour to get my gown then sit in a boring hour and a half ceremony waiting to get my award. I would like to have gone but not enough to drag myself down there now. It is a bit disappointing but such is life, especially the life of a diabetic mature student with 4 kids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Not going to bother with the graduation. I still had a reading of 8 units of active insulin at 3am so I couldent go to bed with that. I eventually got to sleep at about 4.30am then was woken by the baby at 5.30 looking for a bottle. Then my 4 year old son came in at 6.30 and said he had wet the bed so I had to get up and deal with that, then at 7am my daughter came in and told me the 4 year old had just puked in his bed. My wife went in to him and found he had puked, peed and pooed in his bed so that was the end of any sleeping. He was up puking and pooing for the next hour while I was downstairs getting my daughter ready for fancy dress day in school.
    I am so tired the last thing I want to do is go down and stand in a queue for half an hour to get my gown then sit in a boring hour and a half ceremony waiting to get my award. I would like to have gone but not enough to drag myself down there now. It is a bit disappointing but such is life, especially the life of a diabetic mature student with 4 kids!

It's an incredible achievement to complete your studies as a mature student, let alone one with diabetes - it was too much for me. Throw in the fact that you have four kids and you sir, are my new inspiration. Congratulations (on the graduation, not on being my inspiration)

I caught my sons tummy bug, curled up in pain all day. Great weekend from start to finish.
    Does anybody else catch everything going? In the past few months I have had the worst flu of my life, a bad cold and was getting another one before this bug hit me. Is it a diabetic thing and if so is there anything I can do or take to build up my immune system? My mother swears by ecinichea drops but I read on the bottle it is not to be taken if you have an auto immune disease.
    I'm fed up being sick at this stage but maybe it is more to do with having 4kids who are mixing with other kids in school and bringing god knows what home. We fall like dominos in this house when somebody gets something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I caught my sons tummy bug, curled up in pain all day. Great weekend from start to finish.
    Does anybody else catch everything going? In the past few months I have had the worst flu of my life, a bad cold and was getting another one before this bug hit me. Is it a diabetic thing and if so is there anything I can do or take to build up my immune system? My mother swears by ecinichea drops but I read on the bottle it is not to be taken if you have an auto immune disease.
    I'm fed up being sick at this stage but maybe it is more to do with having 4kids who are mixing with other kids in school and bringing god knows what home. We fall like dominos in this house when somebody gets something.
    We have a 1 and 2 year old and they are in creche and my husband and I get everything :( he has crohns so he can be very ill with it. It is not nice but we are lucky to have our children.

Edit: We do get the flu jab, so that is something - had a really bad case of the flu a few years ago and ever since hava had the jab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Moderate alcohol consumption is associated with improved
    insulin sensitivity, reduced basal insulin secretion rate
    and lower fasting glucagon concentration in healthy women .........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

gctest50 wrote: »
    Moderate alcohol consumption is associated with improved
    insulin sensitivity, reduced basal insulin secretion rate
    and lower fasting glucagon concentration in healthy women .........

When I saw that I was like "moderate alcohol consumption" YES! Then I remembered I'm not a women :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Well if you say so. . . . . reaches for wine bottle:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Seeing as there is a 2 year waiting list in my local hospital for the diabetic clinic, I have taken the plunge and signd up to a private one. Its not that I can afford it, but the wife says its my health stupid so it worth doing (although paying €55 just to have a chat with a diabetic doctor is a bit of a joke)
    Anyway, next week I have an appointment where I will get a full medical and assessment, (Another €110, but at least they are doing something) bloods, urine, ecg, legs, feet, etc. I am actually looking forward to it. Plus afterwards they will discuss results, also there is supposed to be a bit of diabetes eductation with it as well. I explained to the doctor whay I was attending him in the sense that I had been told he was a diabetic doctor, his reply was that Diabetes was his passion, which sounds good to me.

TBH what prompted me to go private was that I picked up a bug that has hung around me for the last few weeks, I also have a scrape on my leg that just will not heal and i got serious night sweats about three times this week, happy to say that has cleared up now.
    Seeing as the HSE is doing sweet f a for me, and the only info I have on type 2 diabetes is what I read or more importantly what I learn for all you guys on here, I really hope more of these private clinics pop up elsewhere.

By the way the doctor talked about Macro something and Micro something as types of diabetes, one affects limbs, eyes etc and the other kills you? Can anyone enlighten me on this.

By the way the doctor talked about Macro something and Micro something as types of diabetes, one affects limbs, eyes etc and the other kills you? Can anyone enlighten me on this.

I presume he meant complications rather than types, a micro complication is a minor one, and a macro one is a major one. I hope he didn't explain it as he did to you there. Basically a micro complication is typically localised and despite its causes they haven't caused any other issues. this said, and its something that bugs me, if you have a micro complication with T2DM, it can be (not always) a symptom of a greater issue which could go onto to develop or encourage other complications.

Hope the meeting goes well, as well as the test results,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

After 2 years waiting for appointment at Diabetic Clinic I finally got a letter last week telling me my appointment has been re-scheduled - moved from Dec to Jan -and that I should bring along the the things they told me to in my original appt letter. Problem is, I never got an original letter so have no idea what I should do/bring etc.

Could any one advise me what I need to do to prepare and what I need to bring?

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    After 2 years waiting for appointment at Diabetic Clinic I finally got a letter last week telling me my appointment has been re-scheduled - moved from Dec to Jan -and that I should bring along the the things they told me to in my original appt letter. Problem is, I never got an original letter so have no idea what I should do/bring etc.

Blood glucose Diary, record of medication and doses, notes on any issues you have been having (not required but you'll forget something you wanted to ask). Alot of hospitals will also require you to pop in a week earlier to get bloods taken. There maybe more but those are the first things that pop into my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

My one usually asks to bring along my current medication(s), blood meter, last few months of self-test results if you record them. In truth they never actually look at any of these.

If you're unsure, i'd say give them a quick phonecall :)

CramCycle wrote: »
    I presume he meant complications rather than types, a micro complication is a minor one, and a macro one is a major one. I hope he didn't explain it as he did to you there. Basically a micro complication is typically localised and despite its causes they haven't caused any other issues. this said, and its something that bugs me, if you have a micro complication with T2DM, it can be (not always) a symptom of a greater issue which could go onto to develop or encourage other complications.

Hope the meeting goes well, as well as the test results,

Thanks CC, Much appreciated. I will let you know in the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Just to be sure that there isn't something missed you could ring whatever telephone number is on the letter you did received and check with them. Better safe than sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Seeing as there is a 2 year waiting list in my local hospital for the diabetic clinic, I have taken the plunge and signd up to a private one. Its not that I can afford it, but the wife says its my health stupid so it worth doing (although paying €55 just to have a chat with a diabetic doctor is a bit of a joke)
    Anyway, next week I have an appointment where I will get a full medical and assessment, (Another €110, but at least they are doing something) bloods, urine, ecg, legs, feet, etc. I am actually looking forward to it. Plus afterwards they will discuss results, also there is supposed to be a bit of diabetes eductation with it as well. I explained to the doctor whay I was attending him in the sense that I had been told he was a diabetic doctor, his reply was that Diabetes was his passion, which sounds good to me.

TBH what prompted me to go private was that I picked up a bug that has hung around me for the last few weeks, I also have a scrape on my leg that just will not heal and i got serious night sweats about three times this week, happy to say that has cleared up now.
    Seeing as the HSE is doing sweet f a for me, and the only info I have on type 2 diabetes is what I read or more importantly what I learn for all you guys on here, I really hope more of these private clinics pop up elsewhere.

I just want to say that I think it is a disgrace in this day and age that a person should have to wait up to two years for a diabetic clinic. As dr mccoy from star trek would say, its barbarian.

darkhorse wrote: »
    I just want to say that I think it is a disgrace in this day and age that a person should have to wait up to two years for a diabetic clinic. As dr mccoy from star trek would say, its barbarian.

I missed my last appointment and got a new one for 4 months later and I thought that was bad. I can call up and see the diabetic nurses any time I want and I put more in what they say than the consultants anyway.

Does anybody have any problems with their nails as a result of diabetes?
    The nail on my index finger has gone a bit out of its normal shape recently and I just looked it up on the internet and sure enough there is a name for it and diabetes is one of the causes.

Koilonychia is what it is called but I only have it on one nail so I am wondering if it more to do with an injury than with diabetes. My 20 month old daughter bit me fairly hard on the nail one day, I thought it was cute until she locked her jaws and nearly took the finger off me. She thought it was very funny.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Does anybody have any problems with their nails as a result of diabetes?
    The nail on my index finger has gone a bit out of its normal shape recently and I just looked it up on the internet and sure enough there is a name for it and diabetes is one of the causes.

Koilonychia is what it is called but I only have it on one nail so I am wondering if it more to do with an injury than with diabetes. My 20 month old daughter bit me fairly hard on the nail one day, I thought it was cute until she locked her jaws and nearly took the finger off me. She thought it was very funny.

Koilonychia- spoon nails- can be related to autoimmune diseases in general, but more normally its a symptom of trauma in the presence of iron deficient anaemia. I'm not diabetic- but have a look at my thumb nails. Every now and then the nail actually spoons from the root to the extent that it comes off. Talk to your GP- and get your haemoglobin checked (but also get checked for pernicious anaemia etc). I've been told that its not a problem in itself- its more a symptom of other things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I currently have a full set of toenails although one hasn't quite grown back properly yet. Loosing the nails has been due to running, I'd not considered that the time it's taking for them to come back straight could be down to the diabetes. Makes sense though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

GraFlynn, Diabetes Ireland 2012 Volunteer of the Year!

Well done Gra, delighted for you!!

darkhorse wrote: »

Was told the following today, in one surgery alone there is 400 people already diagnosed with diabetes, and possibly another 200 undiagnosed. multiply that by the number of doctors surgerys or clinics in the South East.
    Now, there is one diabetic clinic in Waterford with one specialist, one dietician and one podietrist. :confused: In fairness they are probably doing well to sort people within 2 years.

Obviously Mr Reilly is really making inroads into solving the Diabetic epidemic :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

How long before they can find a cure? Any type 1 diabetics on here. I would like to hear how you guys have been dealing with the disease

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    How long before they can find a cure? Any type 1 diabetics on here. I would like to hear how you guys have been dealing with the disease

Id say we are well down the list for a cure behind all the other bad diseases. There are 1108 posts before yours that will tell you how we deal with living with diabetes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭purplestar1986

Just a question, does any have constant physical pain all over?

My partner has diabetes (they still don't know which type after 16 months since she was first diagnosis). She's on novarapid, levemir, bydureon, metformin. Has had to get a load of B12 injections as she was severely lacking and has now been told she pretty much has no iron in her system and it's been like this for the past year. She had one of those electro tests to see if it's nerve damage and that came back negative so just wondered if anyone else suffers these pains and knows what it is? Doctors and nurses have no idea what it is from. Thanks for any replies :)

Advertisement