Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

smccarrick wrote: »
    It minimises the amount of sugar absorbed into the blood stream through the kidneys- which while minimal in normal people, can be quite high in athletes or people with Type 2 diabetes. So- where the kidneys are a vector in hyperglycaemia in T2 diabetes, this drug minimises this vector (obviously its only one route to blood sugar- so it would be used in combination with other treatments).

So it will help lessen the destruction of cells?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

So it will help lessen the destruction of cells?

Type 1 diabetes results from an autoimmune response destroying pancreatic beta cells.

Type 2 diabetes does not involve the destruction of pancreatic beta cells, period. Type 2 diabetes is characterised by-
    • Initially - peripheral resistance to insulin, especially in muscle cells
    • Followed by increased production of glucose by the liver;
    • and, finally altered pancreatic insulin secretion.

Obesity will contribute to insulin resistance, even when there is no diagnosis of diabetes- which is why weightloss is one of the cornerstones of treatment for overweight type 2 diabetics.

This new treatment minimises sugar absorption in the kidneys. Obviously kidney absorption is only one manner sugars enter the blood stream- so it has to be used in conjunction with other therapies and treatments, in a holistic manner- it is not a stand-alone drug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Good posts/info there smc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 Eimear811

Hi everyone. Have ye seen that there's a NUIG student running an online intervention for type 2? I saw the thread on the long term illnesses forum there last week and said I'd give it a go. Was a bit sceptical about the whole thing really but I've done the first week now and it was really good! Its based on acceptance and commitment therapy which I'd never heard of before, but it kinda makes you think about your diabetes in a different way. I liked it anyway! I've another week to do now and I'm looking forward to it. Said I'd post it here cos some of ye might find it useful, and its free so what harm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Went to my gp for the results of my blood tests this morning my hbA1c came back as 5.3 so was more than happy with that,because my control has been so good for the last five years or so my gp has decided to take me off Victoza to see how i go hopefully my sugars stay low and i can stop using my stomach as a pin cushion

• Advertisement

Just out of interest, in relation to the Newcastle diet, could you substitute Whey Protein for the likes of slimfast? Would work out a lot cheaper I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Just out of interest, in relation to the Newcastle diet, could you substitute Whey Protein for the likes of slimfast? Would work out a lot cheaper I would imagine.
    slimfast
    optifast

Same/similar nasty looking ingredients when you look at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

One more for the club, my 12 year old son was diagnosed with type1 on Thursday. I had hoped it was just a fluke that I got diabetes and my kids would be spared but unfortunately that was not to be the case. I was only diagnosed about 3 years ago soi have no idea what it is going to be like for a kid to deal with it. He had his first hypo today and it nearly broke my heart to see his childhood innocence robbed from him. I swore I would never complain about my diabetes as there are so many worse things out there but I think this is really going to upset me over the next few weeks or months. I am trying to keep positive for him as he has seen how little it has affected my life but i just feel so sorry for him now. Are there many other parent child combos on here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

One more for the club, my 12 year old son was diagnosed with type1 on Thursday. I had hoped it was just a fluke that I got diabetes and my kids would be spared but unfortunately that was not to be the case. I was only diagnosed about 3 years ago soi have no idea what it is going to be like for a kid to deal with it. He had his first hypo today and it nearly broke my heart to see his childhood innocence robbed from him. I swore I would never complain about my diabetes as there are so many worse things out there but I think this is really going to upset me over the next few weeks or months. I am trying to keep positive for him as he has seen how little it has affected my life but i just feel so sorry for him now. Are there many other parent child combos on here?

Both my parents have it as did my grandmother. I was about 15 when my Dad was diagnosed (all of his siblings have/had it - his (undiagnosed at the time) sister died in 1962 aged 30 from complications after a general anesthetic. I was diagnosed in my mid-30s but having watched my father and seen how he coped I had a good idea of what to expect (he was 80 last week :D). My mother was diagnosed last year and my sister the year before - the book is still open on when my brother with be...

I did actually find that due to my father being diabetic I was 'forewarned' and used to seeing the effects - it helped.

Last year I met a 17 year old T 1 while camping - she has a pump - she was about 5 when diagnosed and her father is also diabetic. She very much had the attitude 'that's just how it is' and in a weird way felt it gave her a special bond with her dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

any one ever have days where you just feel like eating every bar in sight? :( exams are coming up and my sweet tooth is acting up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    any one ever have days where you just feel like eating every bar in sight? :( exams are coming up and my sweet tooth is acting up

exam corrections are coming up - there is not enough chocolate in the world to satisfy me!

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Wiggie

Hi all,
    I've been lurking around this thread since my diagnosis of T1DM last October. Massive shock to hear a doctor say out loud what I had suspected for a few days. Control OK for the most part, but studying for exams is not helping. Stress hormones probably as I'm not eating anything out of the ordinary. I'm still in the honeymoon period and I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.
    Forums (?fora!) like this have been a godsend - good to hear others experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Its over a year now since I first posted on this thread wondering if I might have diabetes ;) latest HbA1c back I'm 66 (which is 8.2% in old money) which is crap and has left me on a bit of downer, and on top of that over went from clinically underweight when I was diagnosed last year to overweight. I'm going to blame that on 6th year and the Leaving Cert, I can't find much time.for exercise and all I seem to do is study and go eat food when I'm taking a break.from the study!

On the plus side apparently the nurse is just finishing off writing my application for a pump, I know its still a long way off but at least it's a start :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Wiggie wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I've been lurking around this thread since my diagnosis of T1DM last October. Massive shock to hear a doctor say out loud what I had suspected for a few days. Control OK for the most part, but studying for exams is not helping. Stress hormones probably as I'm not eating anything out of the ordinary. I'm still in the honeymoon period and I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.
    Forums (?fora!) like this have been a godsend - good to hear others experiences.

Exams usd to play havoc with mine too, particularly if you are the type to get stressed. Keep testing, and be careful, don't do what I did and over correct to much, it will lead to worse things. Correct if you have to but don't let your short term overlap to much if you can, your nurse will probably agree if you drop him/her a line. Yo-yos didn't go up and down as quickly as my blood sugars during exam season.
    Its over a year now since I first posted on this thread wondering if I might have diabetes ;) latest HbA1c back I'm 66 (which is 8.2% in old money) which is crap and has left me on a bit of downer, and on top of that over went from clinically underweight when I was diagnosed last year to overweight. I'm going to blame that on 6th year and the Leaving Cert, I can't find much time.for exercise and all I seem to do is study and go eat food when I'm taking a break.from the study!

On the plus side apparently the nurse is just finishing off writing my application for a pump, I know its still a long way off but at least it's a start :)

Good luck with the application, I have been told if my control is significantly improved in the next 3 months, I will get back on the list. If you can find time to just get out for a 15 minute walk or a cycle every once and agin to freshen you up, it will be well worth it. Improves your insulin sensitivity, lowers your hunger slightly as it will lower stress hormones, and in the long run will probably help you study better. More than makes up for the time missed studying. Good luck with the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MadeleineM

Hi All!

I have been a Type 1 diabetic for 2 years! As part of my PhD I am going to Grenoble to study during the summer.
    I was wondering what travel insurance companies do you usually use?!

I got caught out last year when I had my first DKA in Berlin (cause by an infection) and wasn't well enough to ring the insurance company! Basically because I hadn't been able to notify them that I had to end my trip they wouldn't accept my claim!

Has anybody any advice on insurance?

(Good luck with the leaving cert :) )

MadeleineM wrote: »
    Hi All!

I have been a Type 1 diabetic for 2 years! As part of my PhD I am going to Grenoble to study during the summer.
    I was wondering what travel insurance companies do you usually use?!

I got caught out last year when I had my first DKA in Berlin (cause by an infection) and wasn't well enough to ring the insurance company! Basically because I hadn't been able to notify them that I had to end my trip they wouldn't accept my claim!

Has anybody any advice on insurance?

(Good luck with the leaving cert :) )

No idea TBH, the Diabetes Federation would be a good place to ask though, they are generally full of useeful info on such things: http://www.diabetes.ie/ contact details at end of page

I wonder what would have happened if you weren't Diabetic and you got too sick to contact them?

It sounds very odd, I would seek independent advice from the likes of citizens information as it seems they are trying to shirk you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've not had to make a claim on insurance due to a diabetic issue, but it does seem odd that they expected you to let them know you were ill when you were incapacitated due to being ill.

^^
    Gives them the perfect loophole! Aha ICU is a tad distracting!
    CramCycle wrote: »
    I wonder what would have happened if you weren't Diabetic and you got too sick to contact them?

Well I think most companies would want to avoid paying regardless of your ongoing conditions!

It is a lot harder to find companies who will cover type 1 diabetes though...
    Dealing with websites instead of people makes it harder to make a claim thats what I found anyway!

I just was wondering if there was a reliable company who ye had heard of or use!

MadeleineM wrote: »
    ^^
    Gives them the perfect loophole! Aha ICU is a tad distracting!

Well I think most companies would want to avoid paying regardless of your ongoing conditions!

It is a lot harder to find companies who will cover type 1 diabetes though...
    Dealing with websites instead of people makes it harder to make a claim thats what I found anyway!

I just was wondering if there was a reliable company who ye had heard of or use!

I always bring my European Medical card, not sure what it covers, but AFAIK it entitles you to free public health care anywhere in the EU (E111 card) obviously, does not cover the holiday losses, but it is a start and it is free.

Yep I had that on me! :)
    The whole hospital stay was cheaper than one night in a hospital here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

Hi Madeline, I use get cover.ie and only had to pay an additional 12 euro to cover me for diabetes. Saying that now, I have not been admitted to hospital since I was diagnosed 8 years ago, touch wood....

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

I use VHI travel insurance, have never had to claim for a diabetic issue but it's not loaded due to diabetes.

Thanks for the suggestions! :) I will look into them now! Glad ye haven't had to make claims! aha

I cannot find a link to the actual Newcastle diet, I think it was linked on here before, but that the link may now be dead. Does anyone know where I can find it?

I am ready to give it a go for the 8 weeks. Slimfast bought, (on special at Superquinn @€;4.25 tin :) considering Tesco is over €10 per tin) As far as I remeber its 3 slimfasts a day and one meal of non starch vegetables

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I cannot find a link to the actual Newcastle diet, I think it was linked on here before, but that the link may now be dead. Does anyone know where I can find it?

I am ready to give it a go for the 8 weeks. Slimfast bought, (on special at Superquinn @€;4.25 tin :) considering Tesco is over €10 per tin) As far as I remeber its 3 slimfasts a day and one meal of non starch vegetables

Totally aside from anything else- the recommended daily intake of refined sugar is 40grms. A single serving of Slimfast has 25grms. Whatever about loosing weight, good luck to you with your blood sugars, if you're on slimfast. Something to remember- just because its not high in calories, does not mean, it is -or isn't loaded with sugars- you really need to read the label (and indeed the slimfast tin does have disclaimers on it!!!)

Be careful.

Some links:

From Diabetes Forum on Diabetes.co.uk

And from someone who has tried it on e-opinions

smccarrick wrote: »
    Totally aside from anything else- the recommended daily intake of refined sugar is 40grms. A single serving of Slimfast has 25grms. Whatever about loosing weight, good luck to you with your blood sugars, if you're on slimfast. Something to remember- just because its not high in calories, does not mean, it is -or isn't loaded with sugars- you really need to read the label (and indeed the slimfast tin does have disclaimers on it!!!)

Be careful.

Some links:

From Diabetes Forum on Diabetes.co.uk

And from someone who has tried it on e-opinions

Will do and thanks,

I tried them previously and they worked really well, plus my BG was down as well.

I found the link to the diet, one thing it does not say is what do you mix the slimfast with?

Link http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/documents/StudyRecipes.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer without me taking up too much of your time.

I'm Type 1 since 13 and have it 11 years. I moved away for a year and fell out of the loop of my visits to the Mater day clinic so just want to get a few things cleared up before I go back for my next appointment in a few weeks.

My pens and monitors are all about 4 or 5 years old at this stage and I probably need to update them.
    1. What is the latest Blood Monitor that they have been giving in the Mater?
    2. Does anyone have FreeStyle Lite Strips on their prescription and will a consultant cover them as part of my prescription?
    3. The reason I ask is that I want to try that new Optium InsuLinx and it uses those strips whereas my current Optium Xceed just uses FreeStyle Optium strips and that's all I have a prescription for.
    4. Has anyone used the InsuLinx? Or what do you think is the best new monitor that I should try to get?

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help or enlighten me.

C-Shore wrote: »
    [*]What is the latest Blood Monitor that they have been giving in the Mater?
    They will have whatever one they have been getting free lately, if you call into them and say that you need a replacement, then they should provide you with one there and then if there are any to spare. Failing that you can buy most of them online or in different chemists for about 30euro.
    [*]Does anyone have FreeStyle Lite Strips on their prescription and will a consultant cover them as part of my prescription?
    If they are what you need the consultant should not have any issue with them. Just ask him for a script to refresh your long term illness book and give him a list of what you need on it.
    [*]Has anyone used the InsuLinx? Or what do you think is the best new monitor that I should try to get?
    Never heard of it till today, a quick google reveals it was recalled last month due to a software glitch though. I have the Contour next which I think is great.

Well, I started the Newcastle diet last Tuesday. Surviving after 3 days. Very tired and slight migrane for the first two days, tonight feel fairly normal. The key seemingly is BG level first thing in the morning, so far no big change, usually around 6.8/6.9 in morning, so far much the same. funnily enough for some reason unknown to me today BG went up to 8.7 mid morning, but was down to my normal evening reading of 5.1/5.2 (When I did this partially before it used to be below 5 in the evening.) Tonight reading 6.1 Not going to worry about variation as they state that BG will vary while the body sorts itself out. Now that the energy levels are getting back to normal, will throw in a bit of exercise over the weekend. Will post again soon

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 256 ✭✭Dr Silly Bollox MD

will throw in a bit of exercise over the weekend.
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/

Advertisement