Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Meeting with the endo went well - I am glad that I am seeing her again - she is not suggesting the pump at the moment but I understand her reasons and agree with her, it is also that I do not really like the idea of in a way as I like to pretend that I can forget about it for a while. I am going to try to take her suggestions on board. Next year I will be a type 1 diabetic 30 years:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

This is really great to hear. It's what I've always felt was the only way that it would be solved but my knowledge is far from high.

Is there a risk of the cells failing over time though?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Hi guys,

I'm quite fearful I may have diabetes at this point - Tbh I have been wrong in the past but the past few years I really have pushed things too far with my lifestyle. Lots and lots of weight put on in a really short space of time, short bursts of exercise but then heading straight back to the junk food and way too much of it, appalling sleep hygeine to the point of severe anxiety issues, I've basically not taken care of myself at all. I don't want to sound like I'm laying the blame for anyone having diabetes, not at all, I know it can come for all sorts of reasons with many different people but just pointing out how stupid, reckless and in a way selfish to others the past few years. I've had blurred vision and eye strain for a while now but it down to both the anxiety and sleep issues, which you might say is fair enough. But the past few weeks it's really been getting worse and seemingly worse every day - distance vision going downhill fast, reading print at even a slight distance harder and harder. It may be heightened anxiety, but I am pretty worried. Whereas the blurred vision before felt temporary for some reason, this feels like I've actually lost the vision rather than it being blurred. I am also exhausted all the time but again put that down to the sleep/anxiety issues which is a dangerous thing to do really isn't it. However as recent as a month ago simply getting more quality sleep helped a little bit so not sure I can directly correlate anything there.

I am going to an optician shortly and probably doc's very soon after but just need to talk to someone about it first really. Any insights good or bad or indifferent would be much appreciated. I am 25 years of age nearing 26 but I'm aware that this can strike at almost any time, especially when not taking good care of yourself.

Thanks for your time and feel free to ignore this post, even if I do have this as I mentioned I have been reckless and deserve it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

fr336 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm quite fearful I may have diabetes at this point - Tbh I have been wrong in the past but the past few years I really have pushed things too far with my lifestyle. Lots and lots of weight put on in a really short space of time, short bursts of exercise but then heading straight back to the junk food and way too much of it, appalling sleep hygeine to the point of severe anxiety issues, I've basically not taken care of myself at all. I don't want to sound like I'm laying the blame for anyone having diabetes, not at all, I know it can come for all sorts of reasons with many different people but just pointing out how stupid, reckless and in a way selfish to others the past few years. I've had blurred vision and eye strain for a while now but it down to both the anxiety and sleep issues, which you might say is fair enough. But the past few weeks it's really been getting worse and seemingly worse every day - distance vision going downhill fast, reading print at even a slight distance harder and harder. It may be heightened anxiety, but I am pretty worried. Whereas the blurred vision before felt temporary for some reason, this feels like I've actually lost the vision rather than it being blurred. I am also exhausted all the time but again put that down to the sleep/anxiety issues which is a dangerous thing to do really isn't it. However as recent as a month ago simply getting more quality sleep helped a little bit so not sure I can directly correlate anything there.

I am going to an optician shortly and probably doc's very soon after but just need to talk to someone about it first really. Any insights good or bad or indifferent would be much appreciated. I am 25 years of age nearing 26 but I'm aware that this can strike at almost any time, especially when not taking good care of yourself.

Thanks for your time and feel free to ignore this post, even if I do have this as I mentioned I have been reckless and deserve it really.

I would go to a doctor before you go to an optician - a much better way to spend your money.

A doctor will check you for diabetes, and if you are diagnosed, then you will get access to the diabetes retinopathy program which will help you with your eyes.

In the long term, you're going to need to have better health management to improve your vision - which is where a doctor will be more helpful than an optician.

It's not too late anyway, you're young enough to be able to get yourself back to fitness and a healthy lifestyle - but going to a doctor and explaining your symptoms is the first thing you should do.

If you are going to the doctor, be prepared to give a urine sample, and possibly a blood test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Hi guys,

Are you going to the toilet more often? Frequent uribation, weight loss and sleeping for long periods are the most common signs.

C-Shore wrote: »
    I would go to a doctor before you go to an optician - a much better way to spend your money.

A doctor will check you for diabetes, and if you are diagnosed, then you will get access to the diabetes retinopathy program which will help you with your eyes.

In the long term, you're going to need to have better health management to improve your vision - which is where a doctor will be more helpful than an optician.

It's not too late anyway, you're young enough to be able to get yourself back to fitness and a healthy lifestyle - but going to a doctor and explaining your symptoms is the first thing you should do.

If you are going to the doctor, be prepared to give a urine sample, and possibly a blood test.

Many thanks for the speedy and detailed reply :) I was worried to a far lesser degree 3 years ago and all they did was a blood test and said I was fine - no diabetes or anything else. No urine test. But now I really am too far overweight in too short a time - not sure on specifics as to the rate of climb but it's broadly been 2-3 stone in three years :eek: I will go to the optician first I think as the rates are free at my local currently - I basically want to see if I get the all clear there before then going to the doctors and possibly finding out the worst :eek: Very silly right? I'm shaking just typing this, I'm not a strong person at all and the last few years have really crept up on me like a whirlwind in all sorts of ways :(

May I ask your personal opinion on the gravity of diabetes of any type and the very worst case scenario? I feel like I've only fully matured the last year or two and have so much I want to start in my life...yet now is the one time I've been more depressed / anxious than ever and taking care of myself has completely gone out of the window (not that it was high in the first place). Would worse case scenario be living a basic life, with constant limitations on ambitions, doing things differently etc? Always tired to a degree, never able to push to the full extent of life? Or would this even be the case in the best case scenario?

Sigh I'm in a very beating myself up / sorry for myself kind of mood..apologies and good wishes to you. I'm very sorry you guys have to go through this.

5live wrote: »
    Are you going to the toilet more often? Frequent uribation, weight loss and sleeping for long periods are the most common signs.

Ah see this is my issue...anxiety / sleep issues are very similar in symptoms to diabetes it would appear. However I would say I only go to the toilet more often when the anxiety is up and down moreso. When that occasionally clears a lot, it is far more settled.

I've mostly just had weight gain. This is my overriding fear - I'm putting more and more on and in a very fast period of time. I've cut back dramatically on the junk but it was awful at one stage - putting it away like nobody's business. My body wasn't used to putting on that much weight so fast and my breathing became far harder. The anxiety didn't help with this. I cut back completely for just three days and lost a heap of weight that I haven't put back on, even though I still am liable to a junk fest daily (albeit to a far lesser extent and asap I will be doing it away completely once and for all). That weight loss has correlated with the eyesight becoming worse I suppose but then it could just be a coincidence as I was actively losing weight too..sigh I'm not being much help am I :O I guess I just wanted to talk, needed to talk.

I'm definitely not sleeping for long periods...constantly waking up and disturbed sleep. I can occasionally go on for a long time but this is when I have sleep to catch up on (all the friggin' time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Ah see this is my issue...anxiety / sleep issues are very similar in symptoms to diabetes it would appear. However I would say I only go to the toilet more often when the anxiety is up and down moreso. When that occasionally clears a lot, it is far more settled.

I've mostly just had weight gain. This is my overriding fear - I'm putting more and more on and in a very fast period of time. I've cut back dramatically on the junk but it was awful at one stage - putting it away like nobody's business. My body wasn't used to putting on that much weight so fast and my breathing became far harder. The anxiety didn't help with this. I cut back completely for just three days and lost a heap of weight that I haven't put back on, even though I still am liable to a junk fest daily (albeit to a far lesser extent and asap I will be doing it away completely once and for all). That weight loss has correlated with the eyesight becoming worse I suppose but then it could just be a coincidence as I was actively losing weight too..sigh I'm not being much help am I :O I guess I just wanted to talk, needed to talk.

I'm definitely not sleeping for long periods...constantly waking up and disturbed sleep. I can occasionally go on for a long time but this is when I have sleep to catch up on (all the friggin' time).
    No problem, talking about a problem helps reduce anxiety. We have all been caught trying to deal with a problem on our own when a quick question would ease a lot of the anxiety.:)

Best of luck, anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just to be clear, you don't want an optician, you want an opthamologist or even an optometrist. An optician really can do nothing for you except try and give you glasses.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just to be clear, you don't want an optician, you want an opthamologist or even an optometrist. An optician really can do nothing for you except try and give you glasses.

Oh wow really? :o I thought all eye tests could flag up potential diabetes or other health issues?

I've been more depressed / anxious than ever
    If it is Diabetes and you start treatment, alot of the things here will improve rather than get worse. A well controlled diabetic can live a far more exciting and long life than an unhealthy non diabetic.
    Would worse case scenario be living a basic life, with constant limitations on ambitions, doing things differently etc?
    Only if you don't get treated, if you look after yourself and listen to the health care professionals, the opposite too this should happen.
    Always tired to a degree, never able to push to the full extent of life? Or would this even be the case in the best case scenario?
    If it is Diabetes and your control improves, this should also help alleviate the tiredness holding you back.

Just to be clear though, the symptoms you describe cold apply to alot of things, not just Diabetes. I fully recommend what C-shore has said and go to a doctor, going to an optician is wasting time. If its not Diabetes, great, one ruled off the list, any health issues I can think of are treatable and could see a stark return to your old self. Don't waste time, make an appointment with your GP for a referral straight away.

Oh wow really? :o I thought all eye tests could flag up potential diabetes or other health issues?

Some opticians will have opthamologists working there but AFAIK an optician cannot treat or diagnose conditions or illnesses. Alot of people accidentally call opthamologists opticians. Ring where you are getting the free test and clarify is it for glasses or is it a proper screening by an opthamologist.

If they are doing screenings and are not opthamologists or optometrists, best they can do is recommend you go to a doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Hi guys,

With regard to the eyes, I went to the Vista clinic in Naas. they then referred me to the Eye and Ear Hospital. Over several visits I had laser and cataract treatments on both eyes. They said I would be fine, as long as I KEPT MY BLOOD SUGARS UNDER CONTROL. Which they are. I will go back for checkups every year.

What is really important is that I managed to correct my behaviour with regard to eating, before it was too late. It is treatable but its up to yourself bud.

ebbsy wrote: »
    With regard to the eyes, I went to the Vista clinic in Naas. they then referred me to the Eye and Ear Hospital. Over several visits I had laser and cataract treatments on both eyes. They said I would be fine, as long as I KEPT MY BLOOD SUGARS UNDER CONTROL. Which they are. I will go back for checkups every year.

What is really important is that I managed to correct my behaviour with regard to eating, before it was too late. It is treatable but its up to yourself bud.

Hugs to you and many thanks man, the more I hear about this the more terrified I am, I know nobody likes it but many people have my admiration in their strength (especially since mine is zero) Oh well live and learn..

If it is Diabetes and you start treatment, alot of the things here will improve rather than get worse. A well controlled diabetic can live a far more exciting and long life than an unhealthy non diabetic.

Only if you don't get treated, if you look after yourself and listen to the health care professionals, the opposite too this should happen.

If it is Diabetes and your control improves, this should also help alleviate the tiredness holding you back.

Just to be clear though, the symptoms you describe cold apply to alot of things, not just Diabetes. I fully recommend what C-shore has said and go to a doctor, going to an optician is wasting time. If its not Diabetes, great, one ruled off the list, any health issues I can think of are treatable and could see a stark return to your old self. Don't waste time, make an appointment with your GP for a referral straight away.

This is very positive to read, thanks very much. In all honesty if it wasn't for the surge in weight gain and the thinking I SHOULD have diabetes by now (obviously not through trying), I would account for all other issues due to the sleep deprivation and associated anxiety. The anxiety / depression stemmed directly from the sleep problems (not even anything specific, just not getting enough for an extended amount of time then leading into anxiety and a vicious, long-term cycle kicking off). On the one or two occasions when I have done things to get better, like exercise and better diet, the sleep after has been amazing - probably 10 out of 100, but amazing compared to the regular. So without the weight worry, I feel I can beat this easily if I can get into a proper rhythm for myself. I feel so bad writing this given what people with real illness go through but my mental energy has been ripped to shreds in recent times and I reach for comfort food so much. I guess one positive might be I'm teetotal, though if I had just some alcohol it'd probably be of benefit in terms of the stress! I suppose I come across badly here, really silly and selfish. Thanks for your help and reassurance and if and when I do get better, whatever this is, I'll definitely report back anything new I could have to offer.

Hugs to you and many thanks man, the more I hear about this the more terrified I am,

1st things first, the need for terror is over. You know there is an issue (could be diabetes), you have admitted it, which is the hardest step, the next is acting on it, admittedly probably the second hardest. Despite many complaints in the red tops, our health care system is excellent.

I think you will find if you build on your pro activity (posting here, following advice etc.) that each step will get easier.

1st things first, the need for terror is over. You know there is an issue (could be diabetes), you have admitted it, which is the hardest step, the next is acting on it, admittedly probably the second hardest. Despite many complaints in the red tops, our health care system is excellent.

I think you will find if you build on your pro activity (posting here, following advice etc.) that each step will get easier.

Ah well just to add, I'm not actually in Eire I'm in England so a bit of an imposter :P Got into Boards due to having an Irish family (I look the part) and interest in the Aviation forum.

You give great, detailed advice - thanks.

Very few people who get eye treatment go blind. It's when you d'ont look after yourself or do not take treatment is when the problems get worse.

Very few people who get eye treatment go blind. It's when you d'ont look after yourself or do not take treatment is when the problems get worse.

So if the vision issues were down to diabetes, they wouldn't just be an indication of general symptoms but potentially vision related damage?

• Advertisement

So if the vision issues were down to diabetes, they wouldn't just be an indication of general symptoms but potentially vision related damage?

Damage occours over a long time. I am not going to guess your condition as only a expert can do that but proper treatment, diet, and check ups every year will protect your eyesight. No point in lying awake at night thinking about it, there are people out there who will help ye, but really at the end of the day its up to yourself.

Damage occours over a long time. I am not going to guess your condition as only a expert can do that but proper treatment, diet, and check ups every year will protect your eyesight. No point in lying awake at night thinking about it, there are people out there who will help ye, but really at the end of the day its up to yourself.

Thanks, you've all been most kind :) Will see doctor very shortly...and if the all clear does come back, I might get a second third and fourth opinion and from then on, either way, I will never have an unhealthy day ever again.

Best wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 10 PUMPINGPLUMBER

This is really great to hear. It's what I've always felt was the only way that it would be solved but my knowledge is far from high.

Is there a risk of the cells failing over time though?[/QUOT

Fingers crossed

Thanks, you've all been most kind :) Will see doctor very shortly...and if the all clear does come back, I might get a second third and fourth opinion and from then on, either way, I will never have an unhealthy day ever again.

Best wishes

Its not a case of having no more unhealthy days. Just d'ont have them that often.

One opinion will do ya, and then get on with what you have.

Its not a case of having no more unhealthy days. Just d'ont have them that often.

One opinion will do ya, and then get on with what you have.

Nah I think I need to cut everything out, I want to live as healthily as possible for as long as possible (diabetes or not). I feel bad even asking for advice here considering many people diagnosed will have actually done things with their lives rather than getting into a mess and being a slave to binge eating.

Anyway, that's quite enough from me for one day thanks again all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Is there a risk of the cells failing over time though?
    At the minute, yup, (here's the paper, paywalled though), from the few articles I've read the Cells have lasted "for months" in primates, bodys immune response is still an issue but they have a plan...
    Melton and others caution that there's still a lot more work to do. For one thing, they need to come up with a way to hide the cells from the immune system, especially for people with Type 1 diabetes. But they're working on that and have developed a shell to protect the cells.

"We're thinking about it as sort of like a teabag, where the tea stays inside, and the water goes in and then the dissolved tea comes out," Melton says. "And so, if you think about a teabag analogy, we would put our cells inside this teabag."

He's hoping to have Human trials going in 2 to 3 years. None of this 10 year bullsh1t.

Their's so much money in treating diabetes though. Their's lots out there that will want this slowed right down.

Good right up on it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

At the minute, yup, (here's the paper, paywalled though), from the few articles I've read the Cells have lasted "for months" in primates, bodys immune response is still an issue but they have a plan...

He's hoping to have Human trials going in 2 to 3 years. None of this 10 year bullsh1t.

Their's so much money in treating diabetes though. Their's lots out there that will want this slowed right down.

Good right up on it here.

I've full access to the paper due to college, got had a read of the full thing over night and I have to say it sounds very promising, it kept BG in mice under control for 4 and a half months! As you say I hope the powers that be don't try slow down this research, as there's such money behind diabetes!

Look at Flux for your computer and Twilight and Autoveilis for your phone.

Assuming you have an android.

Makes screens easier on the eyes.

• Advertisement

Look at Flux for your computer and Twilight and Autoveilis for your phone.

Assuming you have an android.

Makes screens easier on the eyes.

Yeah already got Flux, thanks :)

Advertisement