Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Does anyone here have any views on those Nakd bars? Their website claims that they are suitable for diabetics but people on other forums seem to disagree. I'm a skinny suspected type 2 who is trying to beat a life long chocolate addiction, would these be a good substitute? The coco one actually tastes like a chocolate brownie. The rest of my diet is really good so i'm not planning on having these instead of fresh fruit and veg just instead of regular bars when i fall off the wagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

From what I've read elsewhere, if you see any food labelled "suitable for diabetics", run away (or you'll get the runs!).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Alot of Diabetic speciality products (suitable for diabetics is slightly better) contain an excess of sweetners that can have a laxative effect. More worryingly (not sure if it was here or work) but I read a study linking artificial sweetners with changes to gut bacteria which increased the risk of developing type 2 Diabetes. Will try and dig it out later.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v514/n7521/full/nature13793.html

induces glucose intolerance by affecting your guts bacterial make up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There are about 30,000 Type 1s in Ireland, so if this actually works, anyone facny estimating how long it would take to complete a programme of implants?! Anyone over 40 should probably not get their hopes up.

On suitable for diabetic chocolates etc - don't bother. Just eat less of the real thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 PUMPINGPLUMBER

1210m5g wrote: »
    Does anyone here have any views on those Nakd bars? Their website claims that they are suitable for diabetics but people on other forums seem to disagree. I'm a skinny suspected type 2 who is trying to beat a life long chocolate addiction, would these be a good substitute? The coco one actually tastes like a chocolate brownie. The rest of my diet is really good so i'm not planning on having these instead of fresh fruit and veg just instead of regular bars when i fall off the wagon.

Living with Diabetes? Enjoy Dark Chocolate

by Dr. Julian Whitaker

Italian researchers discovered that dark chocolate significantly improves markers of insulin sensitivity. It can also decrease fasting insulin and glucose levels, as well as insulin and glucose responses to the glucose tolerance test

Dont know how true this is

I imagine it was taken from here:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/81/3/611.full.pdf+html

and another which covers any issues with downsides by only administering the suspected positive parts:

http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=%2FBJN%2FBJN103_06%2FS0007114509992431a.pdf&code=2c77d43c3454cc85417e3dfa463249ff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭uli84

hi guys, I'm devastated - my toddler broke my quick-serter device for Medtronic pump accidentally, Medtronic won't replace as it's ''out of warranty'', tried to insert manually last night and it all went wrong, ended up with 20.3 sugar :( sorry for the rant, gonna call Diabetes clinic and ask them to show me how to insert manually in a best possible way and hoping it works out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

uli84 wrote: »
    hi guys, I'm devastated - my toddler broke my quick-serter device for Medtronic pump accidentally, Medtronic won't replace as it's ''out of warranty'', tried to insert manually last night and it all went wrong, ended up with 20.3 sugar :( sorry for the rant, gonna call Diabetes clinic and ask them to show me how to insert manually in a best possible way and hoping it works out

Just change to the Mio sets everyone of them come in a little disposable pod which inserts itself, bit more waste but well worth it as you don't have to remember to carry around the quickserter in case you need to change on the go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

uli84 wrote: »

I'm based in Dublin and have a number of them, so I can give you one to keep if you're stuck. But I would have thought your consultant would be able to provide one, and I would also have thought that Medtronic would give you the bloody thing seeing how ludicrously expensive the sets are.

Drop me a PM if you like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭uli84

Huge thanks to Alanstrainor above for saving me from inserting my sets manually, so happy :)

Rang Medtronic and got them to send me out a replacement Quick-Serter, it boggles the mind that they would not send these out to those without a warranty, given how cheap they are and how expensive the consumables are. But there ya go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Scientists discover how to 'switch off' autoimmune diseases

Could speed up delivery of the stem cell break through this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Got the results of my 2nd ever Hba1c today, i've gone from 11.2% to 6% in 3 months, i'm pretty happy with that because although i've been eating very healthy i haven't been super strict.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dick Dastardly

After 32 years of type 1, I went to bed for the first time last week without taking an injection - thanks to my sparkling new pump. Only using the basics of the pump so far - no cgms, no dual/square wave etc, and still trying to find my ratios - but it's a total game changer. Never knew my daily insulin requirement would fall by 30% by going onto the pump. Didn't really appreciate that I could personalise my basal / background insulin - or the impact that would have. Never thought too much about insulin stacking before - now it's in front of me each time I eat.

So, fellow pumpers, what are your top tips for a newbie pumper like me? Where's the best place to carry it? (I've cut little holes in my pockets to thread it through - not keen on having the tubing hanging out...kids etc) Do you use a clip or a pouch - or nothing? Do you use shower bags, or just disconnect? How often does your insertion fail? (I've failed twice so far - in 5 days (!) - finger tips are now like tea bags and I've just finished my first pack of keytone strips in c. 32 years...!!) but practice can only help!

Tip 1 is I need a spare inserter from Uli84's issue above....

Thanks in advance...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 PUMPINGPLUMBER

After 32 years of type 1, I went to bed for the first time last week without taking an injection - thanks to my sparkling new pump. Only using the basics of the pump so far - no cgms, no dual/square wave etc, and still trying to find my ratios - but it's a total game changer. Never knew my daily insulin requirement would fall by 30% by going onto the pump. Didn't really appreciate that I could personalise my basal / background insulin - or the impact that would have. Never thought too much about insulin stacking before - now it's in front of me each time I eat.

So, fellow pumpers, what are your top tips for a newbie pumper like me? Where's the best place to carry it? (I've cut little holes in my pockets to thread it through - not keen on having the tubing hanging out...kids etc) Do you use a clip or a pouch - or nothing? Do you use shower bags, or just disconnect? How often does your insertion fail? (I've failed twice so far - in 5 days (!) - finger tips are now like tea bags and I've just finished my first pack of keytone strips in c. 32 years...!!) but practice can only help!
    HI im only a few weeks ahead of ye meself and as you said BIG DIFFERENCE,them high sugars and nausea in morning GONE,I like the idea of holes in the pockets as me dogs have being pulling out of mine ,catching press handles,seat belts,kids as you said,construction sites(lots of things)my only problem is kayaking,i have to take off for a couple of hours when doing.Anybody else in the water sports?Im just using the clip as i find it solid.Yeah big reduction in Daily requirements of insulin too.i find logging on every evening to the Medtronic site and putting all your info in and uploading really helps Nurse as she can log onto your account and check all the info out,saves alot of reading stuff out over the phone

Tip 1 is I need a spare inserter from Uli84's issue above....

Thanks in advance...

Call medtronic, they'll send one out to you:

01 511 1444

As for tips:

I carry mine in my pocket, just leave the cable in my pocket, never have any issues. More hassle trying to thread the cable through pants imo. I also have the clip, which is always attached. Make use of it every once in a while.

Forget shower bags, just disconnect, disconnecting for a few minutes wont have any affect. I typically wont even suspend the pump in such situations.

My sets do fail, but very irregularly, but there is a learning curve involved. Try different sets, try different locations and see what works for you. You should be able to get 3 to 4 days out of a set imo.

The pump is a game changer, the most important thing is to get your Basal rates dialed in. This will take time, so you're going to just have to persist. But a tip is to take a week and skip a single meal a day. Monday, skip breakfast; Tuesday, skip Lunch etc. Monitor your sugars during these times. If you see lows your basal is most likely too high, if you see highs the opposite is true. This is hit and miss but worth doing.

Also, the sites I use are:

Tummy/Abdomen, I find this to be generally comfortable. However I find the sets fall out/can be awkward in this location.

Top of my bum: This is my ideal location, out of the way and close to pockets. Although, my sites have gone bad in that location in the last 6 months, so I no longer use them.

Top of my legs: This is an unusual one, as there isn't that much fat in this area. However it does work, and gives you options. I use these a lot, with little problems.

Best of luck, and if you have questions please ask!

@alanstrainor: do you find switching sites affects your basal needs?

As for the shower thing. Medtronic told me the seals are only in there for swimming etc and are rarely actually needed, certainly was not a requirement for a shower, just have the cable pointed down for insertion (so when you take it out, water does not flow into it).

CramCycle wrote: »
    @alanstrainor: do you find switching sites affects your basal needs?

As for the shower thing. Medtronic told me the seals are only in there for swimming etc and are rarely actually needed, certainly was not a requirement for a shower, just have the cable pointed down for insertion (so when you take it out, water does not flow into it).

Yes I find I do actually. My abdomen is worse than the others. And I'd say my legs are the best. But the margain is generally not much, so I tend not to adjust basal to compensate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Has anybody registered for the retina screening programme?

I have been trying to register for days now and the number rings engaged all the time:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

5live wrote: »

I have been trying to register for days now and the number rings engaged all the time:confused:

I haven't registered over the phone, I was refered for it from the clinic along with all other patients.

It's a relatively small operation, so not many people manning the phones - but I'm sure someone will answer.

Were you in a clinic already? I thought all patients were being transferred over and you were automatically sent a letter. I think that's what happened with me anyway.

They sent one to my home address from my youth so I rang them up and they said that they could only deal with Longford. The lady did say she put a note on it to say I lived in Dublin and that I could not attend Longford. 4 weeks later I received an appointment letter for Longford. Rang again and they said that they would transfer me to Dublin. Still no word since then, about 2 months ago.

C-Shore wrote: »
    I haven't registered over the phone, I was refered for it from the clinic along with all other patients.

It's a relatively small operation, so not many people manning the phones - but I'm sure someone will answer.

Were you in a clinic already? I thought all patients were being transferred over and you were automatically sent a letter. I think that's what happened with me anyway.
    Not with any clinic for years. They kept booking me in for days I had told them I couldn't make so I took the hint:-)

CramCycle wrote: »
    They sent one to my home address from my youth so I rang them up and they said that they could only deal with Longford. The lady did say she put a note on it to say I lived in Dublin and that I could not attend Longford. 4 weeks later I received an appointment letter for Longford. Rang again and they said that they would transfer me to Dublin. Still no word since then, about 2 months ago.

I'm still at the same address so that isn't it. I rang at the start to register and was told to ring my doctor to register but they told me to ring the freephone number again. I left it run for a while to get the whole thing sorted. Tried ringing since last Monday and constantly engaged.

I just rang my doctor to see if they had me registered but was told to ring the freephone number. Which is still engaged!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

The whole thing either has teething issues, or is just already doomed to be horribly run.

My experience with the retina screening in the last 10 months has been as follows:
    • October 2013: Regular annual appointment in the hospital, informed that it's moving to a new screening program and I'll receive a letter
    • February 2014: Receive a letter to say I need to go see the consultant about my results and changes to my eye from the hospital scan in October. Go along to the eye clinic in the hospital, get a manual scan by someone that isn't the consultant and told everything is fine, no concerning changes and I should only worry about aneurisms on the macular. The girl doing the scan wasn't sure why I was even there, either she didn't see my records, or didn't see anything of note in the records.
    • June 2014: After receiving a letter from the Retina Screening Program, saying I have an appointment in June, I go to that scan and do the usual scan
    • August 2014: Receive letter to say I need to go see the consultant about my results from the scan in June and changes in my eye from the scan in June
    • September 2014: Go to see consultant in the Mater, get another scan with the machine this time - told I'll hear back in a few weeks. Still haven't seen the consultant - I reckon the consultant is actually Mrs. Columbo.

So as of November 2014, I haven't a clue if I'm going blind or what. In the space of about 8 months, I think I'm ok, but still not sure because there may have been changes in the few months since the first scan.

So there you go. That's my experience of the Retina Screening so far. 4 appointments in a year and still haven't a clue if I should buy a decent pair of sunglasses and a white stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

You could try contacting them by email or using the form on their site. My husband got through no problem but that was a few months ago.

C-Shore wrote: »
    The whole thing either has teething issues, or is just already doomed to be horribly run.

My experience with the retina screening in the last 10 months has been as follows:
    • October 2013: Regular annual appointment in the hospital, informed that it's moving to a new screening program and I'll receive a letter
    • February 2014: Receive a letter to say I need to go see the consultant about my results and changes to my eye from the hospital scan in October. Go along to the eye clinic in the hospital, get a manual scan by someone that isn't the consultant and told everything is fine, no concerning changes and I should only worry about aneurisms on the macular. The girl doing the scan wasn't sure why I was even there, either she didn't see my records, or didn't see anything of note in the records.
    • June 2014: After receiving a letter from the Retina Screening Program, saying I have an appointment in June, I go to that scan and do the usual scan
    • August 2014: Receive letter to say I need to go see the consultant about my results from the scan in June and changes in my eye from the scan in June
    • September 2014: Go to see consultant in the Mater, get another scan with the machine this time - told I'll hear back in a few weeks. Still haven't seen the consultant - I reckon the consultant is actually Mrs. Columbo.

So as of November 2014, I haven't a clue if I'm going blind or what. In the space of about 8 months, I think I'm ok, but still not sure because there may have been changes in the few months since the first scan.

So there you go. That's my experience of the Retina Screening so far. 4 appointments in a year and still haven't a clue if I should buy a decent pair of sunglasses and a white stick.

So, it's a success, you say?:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

I checked to see if I was on the register about a year ago using this number Freephone 1800 45 45 55 and choose option 1. It shouldn't ring engaged because it's the main switch board for some of the cancer screening services also and you get one of those recorded options menu.

I got my invitation to consent to be screened about a month ago and then I got my letter of appointment today for two weeks time.

Double check the number you are dialling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

I'm still at the same address so that isn't it. I rang at the start to register and was told to ring my doctor to register but they told me to ring the freephone number again. I left it run for a while to get the whole thing sorted. Tried ringing since last Monday and constantly engaged.

I just rang my doctor to see if they had me registered but was told to ring the freephone number. Which is still engaged!

Your gp or consultant is the one who has to put you on the register - this definitely wasn't clear when they began the scheme and a lot of medical professionals didn't realise that they had to do it.

So when you call the number they have been advertising you are just checking to see if you are on the register and if you are on the register you can check your details are correct.

If you are not on the register you have to go back to either your GP or consultant, and I think they have informed the medical professionals at this point, to do it.

I've been on to them a couple of times in the last few weeks; once to give my consent, and once to rearrange my appointment and I didn't have any problems getting through.

Is the telephone number you are ringing Freephone: 1800 45 45 55, and choose option 1?

• Advertisement

graflynn wrote: »
    I checked to see if I was on the register about a year ago using this number Freephone 1800 45 45 55 and choose option 1. It shouldn't ring engaged because it's the main switch board for some of the cancer screening services also and you get one of those recorded options menu.

I got my invitation to consent to be screened about a month ago and then I got my letter of appointment today for two weeks time.

Double check the number you are dialling.
    Yeah, that's the number i am ringing.
    graflynn wrote: »
    Your gp or consultant is the one who has to put you on the register - this definitely wasn't clear when they began the scheme and a lot of medical professionals didn't realise that they had to do it.

So when you call the number they have been advertising you are just checking to see if you are on the register and if you are on the register you can check your details are correct.

If you are not on the register you have to go back to either your GP or consultant, and I think they have informed the medical professionals at this point, to do it.

I've been on to them a couple of times in the last few weeks; once to give my consent, and once to rearrange my appointment and I didn't have any problems getting through.

Is the telephone number you are ringing Freephone: 1800 45 45 55, and choose option 1?
    When i rang the doc this evening, his secretary told me i had to register myself and called out the number. Then i told her i thought they were supposed to register me and she said she would ring me back. She did about 10 minutes later and told me the number was engaged for her too and i had to register myself anyway:confused:

Advertisement