Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dick Dastardly

5live wrote: »
    Has anybody registered for the retina screening programme?

I have been trying to register for days now and the number rings engaged all the time:confused:

I rang to check I was on it - got through no problem - and presumed I would be on it as I go once a year to an opthamology unit for a review and they told me late last year that they would be handing me over to the National programme....... anyway, amn't on it, and was told I needed a referral letter from my GP or clinic - they wouldn't accept anything from me directly.

GP told me to go to the clinic - had zero interest in getting involved - hospital were very obliging - seems to be a common issue of names being dropped as they have someone nominated to do all the referrals in bulk....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

So i rang back this morning and got through:eek::D

I was waiting for about 10 minutes on hold and the lady i was talking to said they had some problems with the phones on and off. She told me to contact my Doc and get them to register me so i did and am now waiting for an appointment, thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Harold Finchs Machine

In human clinical trial, UAB to test drug shown to completely reverse diabetes in human islets, mice.

uab.edu/news/innovation/item/5508?+frontdoornews

But UAB scientists have also uncovered that the drug verapamil, which is widely used to treat high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat and migraine headaches, can lower TXNIP levels in these beta cells — to the point that, when mouse models with established diabetes and blood sugars above 300 milligrams per deciliter were treated with verapamil, the disease was eradicated.

“We have previously shown that verapamil can prevent diabetes and even reverse the disease in mouse models and reduce TXNIP in human islet beta cells, suggesting that it may have beneficial effects in humans as well,” said Anath Shalev, M.D., director of UAB’s Comprehensive Diabetes Center and principal investigator of the verapamil clinical trial. “That is a proof-of-concept that, by lowering TXNIP, even in the context of the worst diabetes, we have beneficial effects. And all of this addresses the main underlying cause of the disease — beta cell loss. Our current approach attempts to target this loss by promoting the patient’s own beta cell mass and insulin production. There is currently no treatment available that targets diabetes in this way.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

I work in a hospital and normally take my insulin straight after I eat my lunch in the canteen.
    I was pulled up today and told people don't like it and I can take my insulin before I go to lunch. To say I'm angry is an understatement!!!!

Had anyone any experience of a similar situation???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

calfmuscle wrote: »
    I work in a hospital and normally take my insulin straight after I eat my lunch in the canteen.
    I was pulled up today and told people don't like it and I can take my insulin before I go to lunch. To say I'm angry is an understatement!!!!
    Was it a senior or just some clown who has nothing better to do. If it was the former, I would ask is it really a problem? its a medical condition and if its causing an issue your going to have to make allowances but as far as you can see this is discrimination. The last word will set alarm bells off and you will never hear more about it. If its the latter, ask them politely to take a run and jump into someone elses business, because you have better things to be doing then listening to their childish clap trap, point out that they work in a hospital FFS.

Either way, if after lunch is whats best for your glucose control, then I would not be aiming to make a change anytime soon.
    I have had people squirm because they don't like the sight of needles and one or two have even turned their backs but more out of a phobia than not liking it. To be fair I tried and avoided giving the injection in front of them i.e. around the corner but they never actually gave out like above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Never had that experience in work, thankfully and I can understand your annoyance. Was it said to you officially eg HR or management?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

I've never had a problem in public. If people don't like it then they shouldn't look. I absolutely would not change what works for you and I would also contact HR about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Thanks guys, it was the assistance director of nursing. But said in an informal chat.

I was so angry. She told me "they don't like it" and that "none of the patients are given insulin at the dining table," and I could "take your insulin in the department before you have lunch."
    I explained i needed to see how much I ate so I know how much insulin to take. It's a staff canteen and I feel if ppl don't like it they can just turn their heads.

I havnt gone down to the canteen since though. I feel really uncomfortable and self conscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

That advice is quite wrong. I was always told not to take my insulin until the food was in front of me. You don't know what could happen, delays in the kitchen, the meal not being what you thought etc. Very odd for a medical professional to say that to you. Maybe meet her again and calmy explain why you won't be changing.

Thanks guys, it was the assistance director of nursing. But said in an informal chat.

I was so angry. She told me "they don't like it" and that "none of the patients are given insulin at the dining table," and I could "take your insulin in the department before you have lunch."
    I explained i needed to see how much I ate so I know how much insulin to take. It's a staff canteen and I feel if ppl don't like it they can just turn their heads.

I havnt gone down to the canteen since though. I feel really uncomfortable and self conscious.
    Now that's a load of crap.

Last time i was in hospital, i was only given my insulin just before the food arrived at my bed, or 'dining table' as the trolley was.

I would say to talk to the assistant director and ask who has complained. Its a hospital, full of people with medical training. It surely cannot be that difficult a concept to grasp that, without seeing the quantity of food and the time of arrival, you would be more at risk of suffering hypos and affecting the quality of your work.

Go down to the canteen and eat as normal. It's a medical requirement that you inject with insulin at a specific time to control your blood sugars. If people have a problem with it, they should eat elsewhere or consider an alternative career.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Highly inapproriate, either someone has complained or they haven't. She is in a high enough position that she should know how to react. I would tell her, politely, that after consulting a Diabetic nurse/consultant, or hell, just the number of years you have had Diabetes, that it is to much of a risk. For health and safety reasons, it would be ill advised to do your insulin before heading for the Canteen.
    Patients are not allowed take Insulin in the dining room because they are PATIENTS. No patient once in the hospital care, with exceptions is allowed draw up there own medication.
    Staff canteen in a hospital, can't look at an injection, well, as you said, they don't have too, if you don't like it, don't look.

Get back down to the canteen - if there's a problem here it's her's and not yours!! When we did DAFNE we were all trooped to the canteen (in the hospital), got our trays of food, did our carb counts and the whole table of us took our injections at the table. For a week. The really clear guidance to us was wait until the food is in front of you before taking your insulin.... or risk a severe hypo...
    I'm guessing she/they wouldn't have an issue with you taking out an inhaler or popping a tablet at the table - and it's not like taking insulin is hugely conspicuous.... She needs to cop on. Maybe "they don't like it" but it's not as if you're getting huge enjoyment out of it either.... (Or do you!!?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

I think Diabetes Ireland might be able to give you formal advice on how to approach this and resolve it easily. They help people who have been discriminated against because of their diabetes and they also know what's an employer can ask of an employee legally. It's no harm to drop them an email for a bit of formal advise?

In my opinion this hospital needs some intensive diabetes education, and not just because of your situation, they need it also because they're treating people with diabetes!!! Having a general nursing degree only means you get approx. 20 minutes of diabetes education and it's not enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

graflynn wrote: »

In my opinion this hospital needs some intensive diabetes education, and not just because of your situation, they need it also because they're treating people with diabetes!!! Having a general nursing degree only means you get approx. 20 minutes of diabetes education and it's not enough.

defenestration is the only solution for people like the above i'm afraid

"training" only makes that sort worse

its not rocket science - nurses deal with more complex stuff day in day out

Just got a letter from Diabetic Retina Screen.:D

Asking me if i am interested in becoming part of the screening programme:mad:.

They HAVE to be trolling:eek:

Seeing as it's christmas and some of us might get a bit lax in our controls:o, i thought the following link might remind us how important it is to keep our bloods in check.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/complacent-diabetic-driver-jailed-over-death-of-cyclist-30858434.html

And Merry Christmas to you all:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cjbored

Hi,
    Would really appreciate a little guidance.
    Just diagnosed with type 2.
    Am looking to get a cheap and nasty blood sugar tester, just to keep an eye on myself till doctor/clinic/consultant get round to advising me.
    Would appreciate any guidance as to what to buy and where to buy one quickly.
    (If anyone here has an unwanted one I'd be happy to buy it from them)
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Happy whatever it is you celebrate! :)

cjbored wrote: »
    Hi,
    Am looking to get a cheap and nasty blood sugar tester, just to keep an eye on myself till doctor/clinic/consultant get round to advising me.

The testers are free from your consultant and the strips are free on your Long Term Illness book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Hi,

Apply for your long terms illness book. Get a prescription from your doctor for the tester and strips and you can get them from free for the chemist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cjbored

Thanks for the answers folks. I know I can get them free..... eventually, but just wanted to get going myself while organising doctor / consultant / red tape, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Thanks for the answers folks. I know I can get them free..... eventually, but just wanted to get going myself while organising doctor / consultant / red tape, etc.

boots and a few more have these :

http://www.niprodiagnostics.com/our_products/bgm_true2go.aspx

ideally you need to wash your hands before using any of them - they are sensitive little devices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Just got a letter from Diabetic Retina Screen.:D

Asking me if i am interested in becoming part of the screening programme:mad:.

They HAVE to be trolling:eek:

D'ont ignore it bud, I got it done and ended up needing injections, cataract surgery and laser to keep my eyesight normal.

They said they can manage it. Lucky for me.

ebbsy wrote: »
    D'ont ignore it bud, I got it done and ended up needing injections, cataract surgery and laser to keep my eyesight normal.

They said they can manage it. Lucky for me.

I used to do it privately for the last 5 years and there is some signs of cataracts forming so i will be going but after saga i had trying to register, i don't really have much confidence in the programme, tbh.

I used to do it privately for the last 5 years and there is some signs of cataracts forming so i will be going but after saga i had trying to register, i don't really have much confidence in the programme, tbh.

They will need to take the cataracts out and then sort out the problems behind it. Remember it can be stopped but any reduction in vision cannot be repaired,
    so my advice would be to deal with it immediately. Originally I went to the Vista in Naas who then referred me to the Eye and Ear. They are fantastic there.

Also keep the blood sugars as low as ye can, it helps this condition A LOT.

I will say something else - Sugar free baked beans my backside - they seem to put my sugars up to 9, (average is 5.5).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

does anybody know what is involved in the retina screening? I had an eye test for reading glasses recently that included a digitial image of the retinas. I told them i was diabetic and the optician said they looked fine. Do i still need to go for the retina scan from Diabetic Retina Screening?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭MaggieMay2

@Beano, I would go to the Diabetic Retina Screening if you can. I asked them the same question the last time as I had been to the optician I attended and they said yes. Also it means that you have your tests on record with them so when you go back they compare to see if there is any difference to your previous visits to check for differences/deterioration etc. It's always best to keep in the system and up to date with these appointments.

I will say something else - Sugar free baked beans my backside - they seem to put my sugars up to 9, (average is 5.5).

You need to look at the total carbohydrate content. Low sugar on its own means diddly.... As we all learn to our cost!!!

Can I ask what kind of breads do ye eat people ? Love it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Can I ask what kind of breads do ye eat people ? Love it myself.

Brennans wholegrain. I can't stand wholemeal or brown and rarely have white. I limit myself to no more than 4 slices per day as it does tend to drive my sugars up further than i'd like.

Advertisement