Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

ebbsy wrote: »
    Can I ask what kind of breads do ye eat people ? Love it myself.

Aldi do a low gi bread, its lovely! 1.10 I think for a small pan and only 12g of slow releasing carbs. Edit: Per slice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Has anyone any experience with the Dario meter? They sent me out one and I love it and the app is great! just wondering if it will be too much hassle to get the strips, lancets etc here or if I will be able to get them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Aeternum wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience with the Dario meter? They sent me out one and I love it and the app is great! just wondering if it will be too much hassle to get the strips, lancets etc here or if I will be able to get them at all.

Hi, How did you get the Dario meter in the UK? I've been on their website and filled in the form. They sent me an email directing me to a sales website. It looks like a good meter but I don't think I'm going to pay 15GBP up front for it until I know that I can get the strips on the Long Term Illness scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

graflynn wrote: »
    Hi, How did you get the Dario meter in the UK? I've been on their website and filled in the form. They sent me an email directing me to a sales website. It looks like a good meter but I don't think I'm going to pay 15GBP up front for it until I know that I can get the strips on the Long Term Illness scheme.

Hi! :) I didn't pay for it, I received an email from them last week asking for my details and thanking me for my interest in the product. They took my address and GP details and sent me out the meter and said they would contact my GP about the tester strips and lancets I would require - but I don't know if the LTI card will cover it :/. I remember being on their website a while back and I probably filled out some enquiry form. It doesn't seem to be fully ready for the Irish market yet though, I wasn't able to download the app from the Irish App Store, I had to change my country to Isreal and download it then :roll eyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

looks a bit more promising than the last few attemps at getting away from finger-bloodletting
    Tattoo-Based Noninvasive Glucose Monitoring: A Proof-of-Concept Study

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/ac504300n

• Advertisement

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/health/thousands-battling-longterm-illness-to-get-100-windfall-30182759.html

THOUSANDS of people with long-term illnesses are due a financial windfall with refunds of almost €100, the Irish Independent has learnt.

They are also to be spared from paying any prescription fees for their medicines from now on, saving them up to €25 a month.

The patients have one of 16 listed medical conditions – which would normally qualify them for the Long Term Illness scheme, which provides medication free of any prescription charge.....

Aldi doing Franks diabetic ice-cream on Sun. 25th :

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sun-25-jan/products-detail-page/ps/p/franks-diabetic-ice-cream

http://www.franksicecream.co.uk/content/Diabetic.html

usual don't-eat-diabetic-products thingy applies

"Smart" insulin :

Here, we prepared a derivative of insulin with a molecular switch to provide glucose-mediated activation of the insulin molecule

This modified insulin, when administered in a diabetic mouse model, restores blood glucose levels following a glucose challenge (i.e., a simulated meal) faster than both standard insulin and a clinically used long-lasting insulin derivative.

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2015/02/04/1424684112.abstract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

30 years today since I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes - I remember worrying as a child would I ever have children - well. I have a 3.5 and 4.5 year old and last Monday was 8 years since I had my total oesophagectomy. The surgery has affected my diabetes making it brittle as my digestive system acts oddly but I am still here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭KaaaaaaPOW

gctest50 wrote: »
    "Smart" insulin :

So many new therapies being worked on, you have to wonder why about some of them.

This one is clever (ish) and would be a step up if it was available now but it's totally backward compared to some from a few pages back that seemed equally well on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Last night was a scary one; for the first time in 17 years as a diabetic I fainted due to a low blood sugar. I was out in town with friends last night, I was drinking, but not very much. I suddenly began to feel quite ill, to the point of feeling as if I was going to be sick. I decided to go upstairs and outside to get some air.

On the walk upstairs, my vision started to go, and by the time I had made it to the top i could hardly see. My vision was almost entirely black, I was only able to make out odd shapes, and some flashes of colour.

There was another staircase to descend to get to the main bar, and then out. by this stage I was almost completely out of it, my legs buckled under me and I fell back awkwardly on the stairs. I was helped to my feet by a couple of lads who then placed me on a chair, at this stage I had the wherewithal to start eating glucose sweets.

Still almost entirely blind, a girl came over and asked if I was okay, to which I mumbled that I was a diabetic. She took me over to a table and sat me down out of the way and gave me a pint of water. It took a couple of minutes to come back. After which I thanked the girl endlessly, she mentioned that she suffers from low blood pressure from time to time and could see that I wasn't just pissed!

I still can't believe it happened, nor can I understand why I didn't feel low before it, as my sense of low is usually good. Fair play to the girl who helped me!

how low was it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

gctest50 wrote: »
    how low was it ?

Had no means of testing, so I just don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I am so sorry that that happened to you - I get a lot of them and my husband has glucagon at our bedside and night as well as suggary drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Last night was a scary one; for the first time in 17 years as a diabetic I fainted due to a low blood sugar. I was out in town with friends last night, I was drinking, but not very much. I suddenly began to feel quite ill, to the point of feeling as if I was going to be sick. I decided to go upstairs and outside to get some air.

On the walk upstairs, my vision started to go, and by the time I had made it to the top i could hardly see. My vision was almost entirely black, I was only able to make out odd shapes, and some flashes of colour.

There was another staircase to descend to get to the main bar, and then out. by this stage I was almost completely out of it, my legs buckled under me and I fell back awkwardly on the stairs. I was helped to my feet by a couple of lads who then placed me on a chair, at this stage I had the wherewithal to start eating glucose sweets.

Still almost entirely blind, a girl came over and asked if I was okay, to which I mumbled that I was a diabetic. She took me over to a table and sat me down out of the way and gave me a pint of water. It took a couple of minutes to come back. After which I thanked the girl endlessly, she mentioned that she suffers from low blood pressure from time to time and could see that I wasn't just pissed!

I still can't believe it happened, nor can I understand why I didn't feel low before it, as my sense of low is usually good. Fair play to the girl who helped me!

But isn't it great to find a complete stranger helping out.

It restores my faith in humanity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I suddenly began to feel quite ill, to the point of feeling as if I was going to be sick.

This is a new one for me. I was away on holidays and began to feel sick. serious nausea, now I was on a cruise so I thought it was the motion of the ship. Left my room and went on to the deck to breathe deeply. Few minutes later I got the shakes. I was surprised as Ive had really good control lately.

Just on a side note, does everyone have some form of ID like a bracelet to inform people that you are diabetic? I would hate to be a pub and the security just think you are drunk and toss you out.

5live wrote: »
    Just got a letter from Diabetic Retina Screen.:D

Asking me if i am interested in becoming part of the screening programme:mad:.

They HAVE to be trolling:eek:

Sorry catching up on the thread. Got the letter for Retina Screen. Rang, eventually hung up after 20 minutes on hold. I got another letter so I must ring tomorrow.

Have to ring consultant tomorrow as well. Got a thing, and not asking for advice, but its starting to freak me out a bit.

This is a new one for me. I was away on holidays and began to feel sick. serious nausea, now I was on a cruise so I thought it was the motion of the ship. Left my room and went on to the deck to breathe deeply. Few minutes later I got the shakes. I was surprised as Ive had really good control lately.

Just on a side note, does everyone have some form of ID like a bracelet to inform people that you are diabetic? I would hate to be a pub and the security just think you are drunk and toss you out.

I have an SOS talisman in a chain around my neck(it's NOT a necklace:pac:) with over 20 years. The only time it comes off is when the chain breaks.
    Sorry catching up on the thread. Got the letter for Retina Screen. Rang, eventually hung up after 20 minutes on hold. I got another letter so I must ring tomorrow.

Have to ring consultant tomorrow as well. Got a thing, and not asking for advice, but its starting to freak me out a bit.

I meant to post about it. Had it on the 3rd feb, finally. Got a text beforehand reminding me it was due. Got the drops in and had the scan and my OH picked me up because you aren't allowed drive after. Funny thing was i could see almost perfectly after, certainly well enough to drive. First time i could say that.

I have an SOS talisman in a chain around my neck(it's NOT a necklace:pac:) .

Sounds like a nec........

I have a bracelet with diabetic on it.

Hello Everyone,

I hope it's ok to post about this Type 1 Diabetes Conference for both Adults living with T1 and parents of children with T1 here.

The conference is taking place on Saturday 3rd October 2015. Our venue is yet to be determined.

"Thrive-abetes" is a first-of-it's-kind event in Ireland - a conference organised by people with type 1 diabetes for people with type 1 diabetes!

We are trying to create more awareness about the event so that we can attract more funding from businesses.

You can read more about our proposed schedule for the day and how the idea for the event came about here.

Regards,
    Grainne Flynn

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Wheelio

Hi All,

Was diagnosed Type 1 2yrs ago and curious about going for an Insulin pump when came across this thread. My current consultant only does MDI regime. Anyone know of anyplace in Cork that support pump therapy for adults or is it only in certain Hospitals/Counties.

My HbA1c's have been good on MDI but I find it restricting and would like the great flexibilty
    of he pump (I think)

Thanks
    Wheelio

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I have an SOS talisman in a chain around my neck(it's NOT a neck...

I used to have one of those not a necklace things as well. Now I use RoadID around my wrist instead. Have to order them from the US, but they are much better at staying in place without annoying me whilst running or doing other things and just looks like a watch strap most of the time.

Was running my local parkrun on Saturday, then whilst hanging around and chatting afterwards someone came up and introduced herself as the diabetes consultant in the local children's hospital and that she noticed my insulin pump on my waist as I had lapped her during the run on my way to finishing in the top ten. Was then chatting for a bit about running and marathons etc, and she then seemed to be interested in me to maybe go in and speak to the kids about how a bit of diabetes doesn't stop you being active at a decent level. Actually their parents as much as anything I guess as what kid wants to know about what an old bloke is doing? :)

Not sure if she'll make contact, but made me feel good about the day. :D

Now Available
    Afrezza® Inhalable Insulin
    Afrezza® is a rapid acting insulin inhaled at mealtimes to improve blood sugar control in adult patients with diabetes.

https://www.afrezza.com/

Wheelio wrote: »
    Hi All,

Was diagnosed Type 1 2yrs ago and curious about going for an Insulin pump when came across this thread. My current consultant only does MDI regime. Anyone know of anyplace in Cork that support pump therapy for adults or is it only in certain Hospitals/Counties.

My HbA1c's have been good on MDI but I find it restricting and would like the great flexibilty
    of he pump (I think)

Thanks
    Wheelio

Hello Wheelio,

I am a member of this facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/39741400937/ and recently I remember some people who attend UHC who are on insulin pumps. And also Dr. Tuthill.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Happy2015

I am a newly diagnosed T1 and have to attend a Berger Course-“3 day Intensive Insulin Education Programme” next month. Just wondering if anyone else has done this course? Would you recommend it? Am I entitled to time off work to attend this course? Would love to hear from someone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Happy2015 wrote: »
    I am a newly diagnosed T1 and have to attend a Berger Course-“3 day Intensive Insulin Education Programme” next month. Just wondering if anyone else has done this course? Would you recommend it? Am I entitled to time off work to attend this course? Would love to hear from someone.

Definitely, if your new, it's great, if your old hat, it is a nice refresher.

As for time off work, depends on your job, I got a letter for work from the doctor so I was fine but it may be work place dependent (my work are very accommodating for everyone). I presume you are salary based but I would have thought a letter from the hospital would suffice unless you work for some terrible people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Happy2015

Thank you.I am salary based-and am hoping that this three day course won't be dealt with as sick leave as I have used a lot of leave over the last two years-pre diabetes illnesses etc before becoming dka at christmas!Is there anywhere where I can get information/reading on the course-what to expect or would it be better to attend with no prior knowledge?
    Happy 2015

Happy2015 wrote: »
    Thank you.I am salary based-and am hoping that this three day course won't be dealt with as sick leave as I have used a lot of leave over the last two years-pre diabetes illnesses etc before becoming dka at christmas!Is there anywhere where I can get information/reading on the course-what to expect or would it be better to attend with no prior knowledge?
    Happy 2015

The BERGER course is almost a carbon copy of the DAFNE course. You can find loads more information about DAFNE here; http://www.dafneonline.co.uk/ Hope this helps?

• Advertisement

the new dexcom g4 cgm will "talk" to apple watches, ipods, iphones

- very useful for kids - you can upload it automatically and can monitor it from anywhere

was done diy-stylee a while back :

What is the Nightscout project?

Nightscout (CGM in the Cloud) is an open source, DIY project that allows real time access to a Dexcom G4 CGM from web browsers via smartphones, computers, tablets, and the Pebble smartwatch. The goal of the project is to allow remote monitoring of the T1D’s glucose level using existing monitoring devices.

http://www.nightscout.info <<<<<<<<<<<

they just added bluetooth so less diy-cabling needed

http://dexcom.com/dexcom-cgm-with-share <<<<<<<<<

&off into the pointless forest for a bit ........

Teardown of (older) cgm receiver :
    The NXP (founded by Philips) LH75411 is an ARM7TDMI-S based high-performance 32-bit RISC Microcontroller with Thumb extensions 32KB RAM, Vectored Interrupt Controller, Greyscale LCD Controller, Touch Screen Controller, 8 channel 10 bit A/D Converter, Two 16550-type UARTs, One 82510-type UART, Synchronous Serial Port, Four DMA Channels, Three Timers/Counters with Capture/Compare/PWM, Real Time Clock, Watchdog Timer, General Purpose I/O pins. CPU clock up to 51.6 MHz, On-chip crystal oscillator and On-chip PLL.

5a2a9f515746700a4d673de7795b6ba9.jpg

802cc76e9051ff7111098a4d55fbea76.jpg

a92e59bd731c9566740d7bf2a2a6e99a.jpg

Advertisement