Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

uli84 wrote: »
    ......... (why are they so resistant to progress?) .......

'cos they've probably got a shed load of obsolete yokes to get rid of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭uli84

Yes i suppose so, im so fed up with it, uh oh they call it "pump upgrade", im desperate and gonna be trying to source that freestyle libre from NI. I guess that's the best I could do. Bet they won't be impressed as im supposed to be doing finger test like 10 times a day for that old pump to use for bolus wizards - as if i had time for this when I barely have time for eating.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yes i suppose so, im so fed up with it, uh oh they call it "pump upgrade", im desperate and gonna be trying to source that freestyle libre from NI.
    If they are still doing the free offer you could try Parcel Motel or similar.
    I guess that's the best I could do. Bet they won't be impressed as im supposed to be doing finger test like 10 times a day for that old pump to use for bolus wizards - as if i had time for this when I barely have time for eating.
    I probably test about 10 times a day at the minute, they tell me I am doing it too much. Even with the Libre though, you are still going to have to input the result into the pump so it won't save you much time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Since i lost my battle with the Mater to get the pump with CGM (why are they so resistant to progress?) is there any CGM IN IRELAND that can be used without the pump?

You can organise to do a trial through your GP, using the stand alone CGM's like the Dexcom or the Medtronic Realtime Guardian.

Once you complete the trial, you will have more information to back up your request for wanting one.

CGM's are not available under the Long Term Illness scheme but they do issue them through the Community Care Department. The guidelines for issue vary from county to county but I have found that people who have Hypo Unawareness usually get them without argument.

I just got my CGM component of the Animas Vibe (i've been using the Vibe for 2 years) last month.

Hope that helps,
    Grainne

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dick Dastardly

graflynn wrote: »
    Since i

CGM's are not available under the Long Term Illness scheme but they do issue them through the Community Care Department. The guidelines for issue vary from county to county but I have found that people who have Hypo Unawareness usually get them without argument.

I think mine is via lti scheme - haven't had any involvement with community care and got it via public hospital clinic? And no hypo unawareness either thankfully!! After seeing some of the responses here I'm not sure how I swung a cgms pump at all. Just very glad I did.

• Advertisement

graflynn wrote: »
    Since i

I think mine is via lti scheme - haven't had any involvement with community care and got it via public hospital clinic? And no hypo unawareness either thankfully!! After seeing some of the responses here I'm not sure how I swung a cgms pump at all. Just very glad I did.

Which Hospital are you attending? Thanks!

CramCycle wrote: »
    If they are still doing the free offer you could try Parcel Motel or similar.

I probably test about 10 times a day at the minute, they tell me I am doing it too much. Even with the Libre though, you are still going to have to input the result into the pump so it won't save you much time.

Fair play to you, myself - i don't want to input the sugars into wizard as i can calculate it myself to be honest. All I need is 24hrs or as frequent as possible insight into my sugars and the knowledge if it's going up or down. in any case I checked the Libre and there is a "waiting list" of 8 months to buy one at the moment :( I'm heading into 20 years of T1, having a toddler that i stay with on my own all night every weekday after hard day's work, planning to have another child in the near future with breastfeeding most likely again and all that drama and all that isn't enough like. Sometimes I'm scarred to fall asleep - i doubt a sleeping 2 year old will help me with a bad hypo. Just praying one day he doesn't wake up to unconscious mummy.

That seems a bit crazy, I'd hold off accepting it at all to be honest and then discuss what has happened, and how to get a more modern minimed pump.

You know what happened-i refused that pump and they were like ok-you need to get the appt to get that sorted. there came the appt. and they pushed it on me literally - she came and oh they will set me the wizards and my night time hypo will disappear and all will be rosy and great and the pump with the CGM is only for certain people and then questions who even put me on the pump and WHY. I couldn't believe what was happening but came there with my kid who wasn't behaving, was getting late for work and just wanted to get out of there and honestly there was zero willingness to listen to me. I think I have to change the hospitals as I don't want to see them anymore- how do I go about it anyone knows?

In any case im not gonna leave that, first im gonna contact medtronic uk that i was in touch with when my previous pump was malfunctioning and ask - what their definition of word "upgrade" is or maybe they could direct me to someone in Ireland that can explain.

........... I think I have to change the hospitals as I don't want to see them anymore- how do I go about it anyone knows?

just go to your doctor ( bring a friend if possible ) and say
    ...... Sometimes I'm scarred to fall asleep - i doubt a sleeping 2 year all will help me with bad hypo. Just praying one day he doesn't wake up to unconscious mummy.

the new Medtronic ones sense ( as best as is possible i suppose ) upcoming hypos etc and suspend

might help save your life some night

e581742256dd8f1e2360e139a1fb7e87.jpg

Anybody in the know here which of the following pumps is the oldest model:

Medtronic minimed 722
    Medtronic minimed Paradigm 515
    Medtronic minimed Paradigm 715

Is it the higher the number the newer the model?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Since i lost my battle with the Mater to get the pump with CGM (why are they so resistant to progress?) is there any CGM IN IRELAND that can be used without the pump?

Yes the Dexcom... my husband has been using it since he was diagnosed (2 years now) and finds it excellent, he wouldnt be without it if I'm honest.

he is now on the Vibe and uses the CGM function etc.. its work with the Dexcom sensors

Dexcom is not registered with the HSE at present "apparently" they are doing their own trials on it. Plus the CGM is expensive and the sensors too i doubt over time they will make them available to all Type 1's.. due to the cost.

http://www.dexcom.com/en-IE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

cocker5 wrote: »
    Yes the Dexcom... my husband has been using it since he was diagnosed (2 years now) and finds it excellent, he wouldnt be without it if I'm honest.

he is now on the Vibe and uses the CGM function etc.. its work with the Dexcom sensors

Dexcom is not registered with the HSE at present "apparently" they are doing their own trials on it. Plus the CGM is expensive and the sensors too i doubt over time they will make them available to all Type 1's.. due to the cost.

http://www.dexcom.com/en-IE
    Over time, they will be available to a huge percentage but they will have to come down in price a lot before that will happen.

Pumps were over 5k a few years ago but the Animas Vibe is available for 2.5k atm. When they halve in price again, they will become more common.

How much are the Dexcom Sensors cocker5? and how many needed per month? thanks!

Over time, they will be available to a huge percentage but they will have to come down in price a lot before that will happen.

Pumps were over 5k a few years ago but the Animas Vibe is available for 2.5k atm. When they halve in price again, they will become more common.

2.5K is not that bad, I think Medtronic ones are much dearer (even the old ones). Maybe I will get a small loan and will just buy the Animas one so, being at the mercy of the hospital just brings me stress. Lots to think about before xmas but I have to do some research and get something that will work for me and won't totally kill me financially.

How much are the Dexcom Sensors cocker5? and how many needed per month? thanks!

They used to cost him €70 per sensor, these are supposed to last 7 days however his last mostly 10-15 days with some lasting 20 days - it depends on his activities ie swimming etc - this was before he got the vibe.

now he has the vibe he can get the sensors from them which now costs €55 per senor - its not a lot of a discount but its something.

its seems like alot of money and i suppose it is however the peace of mind it gives him far out weighs the cost. its allowed him to lead a very normal life now ie gym, we go skiing twice per year etc - without the Dexcom, yes the could still do these things but they would be far more difficult etc.

2.5K is not that bad, I think Medtronic ones are much dearer (even the old ones). Maybe I will get a small loan and will just buy the Animas one so, being at the mercy of the hospital just brings me stress. Lots to think about before xmas but I have to do some research and get something that will work for me and won't totally kill me financially.

Dont be mental OP get the vibe through your hospital for free , then pay for the Dexcom sensors yourself...

Please be wary OP if you don't get the pump through the LTI card then the supplies wont be covered either... and they would be quiet costly.

My husband changes his port 2/3 times per week... id say those little pods / ports would cost a fair whack over time if you were paying from them yourself

that sounds most reasonable, would have no issue paying for Dexcom sensors etc. now let's see if Mater will help me, not too optimistic as it's hassle for them I imagine and looks like they are not bothered much so far, also I am not sure if Medtronic takes pump returns...

I'm gonna be at Medtronic first as to me it looks like they 'upgraded' me from the old model (722) to even older one (515) if I'm not mistaken. GREAT!

Anybody in the know here which of the following pumps is the oldest model:

Medtronic minimed 722
    Medtronic minimed Paradigm 515
    Medtronic minimed Paradigm 715

Is it the higher the number the newer the model?
    Thanks

refers to size of the insulin reservoir it takes too

5ef86f51fefc0c2cf3abe474078fbca4.jpg

I'm gonna be at Medtronic first as to me it looks like they 'upgraded' me from the old model (722) to even older one (515) if I'm not mistaken. GREAT!

vulnerable to hacking from very far away

Barnaby Jack was doing a bit of work for McAfee & went poking around :
    He has discovered a way to scan a public space from up to 300 feet away, find vulnerable pumps made by Minneapolis-based Medtronic Inc., and force them to dispense fatal insulin doses. Jack doesn’t need to be close to the victim or do any kind of extra surveillance to acquire the serial number, as Radcliffe did.

Barnaby Jack was found dead in a hotel room a while later

Fantastic, oh god don't know how to play it - Medtronic will most likely tell me to speak to the hospital and I'll be back in square 1. Anyway, let's see.
    In the meantime - anyone attending Beaumont? Are they more friendly or up to date with the latest research or up for progress rather than pushing on outdated devices?
    I still can't figure out what the Mater issue is - i even offered to pay the difference between what i got and some newer pump.

• Advertisement

Fair play to you, myself - i don't want to input the sugars into wizard as i can calculate it myself to be honest. All I need is 24hrs or as frequent as possible insight into my sugars and the knowledge if it's going up or down.
    Thats grand then, to be fair, knowing how to do it yourself is important and not a skill to be lost which I suppose is a fear, particularly with younger diabetics.
    My receipt for house insurance said 3k but talking to the medtronic rep, I could pick one up for 1.5k but that was the older one. Not a new one though.
    its seems like alot of money and i suppose it is however the peace of mind it gives him far out weighs the cost. its allowed him to lead a very normal life now ie gym, we go skiing twice per year etc - without the Dexcom, yes the could still do these things but they would be far more difficult etc.
    Maybe I have to cosy a life, and I am a big fan of CGM as the positives to typical diabetics are immense when you look at studies that are presented at the likes of EASD but just as a T1D, I have to disagree. I have been skiing without incident, cycled across France, go to the gym, take off for a weekend away. It has only been stress if I have forgotten anything, but even nowadays, with the european health card and the ability to buy across the counter, its not been a major inconvenience, I have to carry a tester, strips and finger pricker. It is a slight inconvenience but hardly crippling, it certainly should not have stopped any of the activities you have mentioned.

Just being defensive, Diabetes is a huge annoyance but to insinuate that it makes life overly difficult (compared to 30 years ago), is wildly misleading, with the exception of the likes of brittle diabetes (which i firmly believe will benefit from a CGM more than anyone else, to the point it just becomes regular T1D).
    Please be wary OP if you don't get the pump through the LTI card then the supplies wont be covered either... and they would be quiet costly.
    They will be, I have friends who have done it, some Diabetic Nurses are reluctant to sign off on them, they just popped down to their GP, got them to fill out the script and sent it off without issue.

Think the Mater Hospital is probably most at fault here-when i refused the pump they were like "but thats what WE applied for you", i mean wow - noone even thought of consulting me in any way/asking if I'm happy with my current pump/whatever. Also every time i go there they treat me like im an idiot even though I could probably educate most of them there on diabetes and diabetes research working in this area myself, madness.

Also my pump malfunctioned in August, and i got that "upgrade" in December due to their mess up.

......... "but thats what WE applied for you",.........

tiny bit of back-covering going on maybe - you could get hba1c done at say a pharmacist/gp

the newer pump/cgm can upload all the data gathered over the internet to a doctor in any country at all ......

the HSE wouldn't be long farming that one out

Quick question on the Animas Vibe pump.

I just had a bite to eat, needing 4U of insulin. The BG correction was +2.14 and the IOB was -3.59.

Yet the insulin calculated was still 4U?

Am I missing something? Shouldn't the bolus have been a lot lower?

Quick question on the Animas Vibe pump.

I just had a bite to eat, needing 4U of insulin. The BG correction was +2.14 and the IOB was -3.59.

Yet the insulin calculated was still 4U?

Am I missing something? Shouldn't the bolus have been a lot lower?

If the food entered was 4 units, then that's what you get unless you are hypo. The IOB is ignored if that is for food already entered, as is the higher BG as that would be attributed to the current IOB/food. Unless I have misread your post.

When was your last bolus?

CramCycle wrote: »
    If the food entered was 4 units, then that's what you get unless you are hypo. The IOB is ignored if that is for food already entered, as is the higher BG as that would be attributed to the current IOB/food. Unless I have misread your post.

When was your last bolus?
    The last bolus was at 13:18 and that bolus was at 15:01.

I am only 2 weeks in and I assumed the EZcarb function would adjust for previous bolus and BG readings. I am getting consistent low BGs before evening meals so I will have to contact my Doc about adjusting the late afternoon basals?

It really is back to the beginning:(

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dick Dastardly

The last bolus was at 13:18 and that bolus was at 15:01.

I am only 2 weeks in and I assumed the EZcarb function would adjust for previous bolus and BG readings. I am getting consistent low BGs before evening meals so I will have to contact my Doc about adjusting the late afternoon basals?

It really is back to the beginning:(

Thanks for the info.

If you can, grab a copy of Pumping Insulin - worth it to get your head around insulin on board, wizards and getting your basal rates sorted. Most important thing I failed to realise was that you're running entirely on rapid acting insulin now - but it still takes time to engage in your system. For me it takes c2. hours to start working - so if my bloods are going low at say 6pm, then it's my 3 / 4pm basal rate I need to reduce.

Stick with it - I reckon it took me at least 4 weeks of work to get my initial basal rates set. And they were miles away from what I started out on! But well, well worth it in the end.

It's more like driving an oil supertanker kinda idea - turn left now and it'll be ages before it finally gets there - subject to crosswinds and T&Cs etc :P

Write down any changes you make - makes it quicker to suss

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Folks, sugar cravings. How do you combat yours if you have them. From some reason the last couple of weeks I am having SERIOUS cravings. Does anyone have any home remedies or something that combats the cravings? Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Folks, sugar cravings. How do you combat yours if you have them. From some reason the last couple of weeks I am having SERIOUS cravings. Does anyone have any home remedies or something that combats the cravings? Any ideas?
    Hydration.

Nice Spanish Mandarins. Ya can get big box of them in lidl at the min.

Tuc Crackers.

Just say no....(Grr, f*&k you cravings I ain't giving in:o)

Two and a half/3 weeks and then cravings are mostly gone and you'll be able to say Na, I don't need to eat that.

There's no miracle/secret here, Willpower. I went cold Turkey off everything Sep 1...if you give in, Don't Pig out/Binge.

Advertisement