Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭uli84

Quick update on my pump drama - Medtronic have no influence on which pump I receive as this is the decision of my healthcare provider I was told. So i'm gonna get back to the Hospital. Before I do - Anyone has the idea how expensive it is to run CGM on Medtronic pumps?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gok

Has anyone come across this monitor before?

https://abbottdiabetescare.co.uk/our-products/freestyle-libre

That link may not work from an Irish IP...

Seems like an interesting bit of kit, like a CGM/Glucose hybrid. Effectively you have a sensor which is inserted, and to check what your sugar is, you simply touch the monitor off it and it gives a reading. No calibration required, and each sensor lasts 14 days. It's not strictly a CGM, as it does not alert you in real time, but if you do connect with the monitor, it will give 8 hours worth of readings.

Seems very cool. St Vincents have not started using it, but hopefully they will soon, (and hopefully I can get my hands on one!)

I looked into this too and also emailed St. Vincents asking them to enquire with the Abbott rep. (they said they'd do that in Jan but a couple of other request would help :D )
    Anyhow, from what I can see (eg here http://www.diabetes-kids.de/artikel/das-glukose-messsystem-freestyle-libre-von-abbott-ist-ab-heutefur-menschen-mit-diabetes-in-deutschland-erhaltlich-4234 The Senors cost EUR59 and the Starter kit of meter + 2 sensors €169
    However when I emailed Abbott, they said that the sensors are not available in Ireland and they've no idea when (Ironic considering this gear is all made here :confused: ). They also said that if this was used here in Ireland that the warranty would be invalidated - nice!
    Pity really as looks like a great solution for mobile people

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dk1986

HI everyone, I work as a chef and have been a Type 1 diabetic for 25 years and I have a bit of a sweet tooth and hate paying the ridiculous prices for the so called diabetic bars and cakes in Boots and SuperValu. So, I have decided to create my own range of sugar free and low fat desserts and cakes. I will be using natural sweeteners instead of sugar and low fat dairy instead of the delicious full fat butter, cream and milk. I have been making these cakes for years for myself, my dad and my brother, all 3 of us are type 1 diabetics.

I'm just wondering if there is any kind of market in Ireland for this. Any feedback you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

I've had T1 for 25 years myself and I never go near the "diabetic" bars or treats. They tend to lead to unfortunate trips to the bathroom and are very rarely nice to eat. In my opinion you are better off indulging the sweet tooth and adjusting your insulin to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dick Dastardly

Same here - I tend to avoid them - Am T1 for 33 years . Tend to be more expensive and not as nice in my experience. - although I'm sure yours will be delicious!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Same here, wouldn't touch the diabetes speciality stuff at all. If I want a treat, I will have the same as everyone else and adjust my insulin accordingly.

Also would be a fan of full fat butter and cream if I am going to indulge, these have never affected my BG control so why skimp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Hi DK1086,

I agree with the above posters - anything labeled "suitable for diabetics" is something I steer clear of. However, I know lots of people with or without diabetes who are becoming more aware of reducing their sugar and carb intake and might be interested in a range of sugar free (which is usually a lie and really means no added sugar:-) and low fat desserts.

Some more market research might be called for!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

qab6qkD.png

"Our results demonstrate for the first time that human adult skin cells can be used to efficiently and rapidly generate functional pancreatic cells"

Human pancreatic beta-like cells converted from fibroblasts

Transplanted cPB cells exhibit glucose-stimulated insulin secretion in vivo and protect mice from chemically induced diabetes.

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2016/160106/ncomms10080/full/ncomms10080.html

iMnFN5x.png

http://www.textingmypancreas.com/2011/11/perils-of-being-mouse-in-diabetes.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

In a similar vein to ^^^^^

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/12120141/Harvard-and-MIT-close-to-cure-for-Type-1-diabetes-which-will-end-daily-injections.html

Harvard and MIT close to cure for Type 1 diabetes.

Human trials to begin in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

For as long as I've been a diabetic the cure has been 10 years away! :D

• Advertisement

For as long as I've been a diabetic the cure has been 10 years away! :D

Eventually the cure will have been 10 years away :pac:

Tbh, that research is probably the most promising way of managing high blood glucose with little apparent problems in the line of side effects yet anyway.

I haven't seen much about glucagon release if readings get too low though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I suppose the question is what the model they were using was. Are they KOs where Glucagon response is normal, are they end stage forced T2DM mice where glucagon response is still active.

Are the cells they produce producing Glucagon (certain immortalised beta cell lines have shown small levels of Glucagon production).

Certainly interesting and promising, but by no means a new idea or the first test of its kind as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Hi. I was diagnosed with Type 1 on Thursday. The last couple of days have been a whirlwind, there's been tears, denial, pity and confusion. I guess the hardest part was how quickly it happened, I started feeling weak and really thirsty on Tuesday and 2 days later I was told I am type 1. I guess I'm just wondering how long you guys took to get over the realisation. My wife is a nurse which helps but I have such low moments. I'm I my 36 with 2 young kids and this is the last thing I expected to get. Sorry if I seem all over the place, everything is taking time to process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You'll be grand even if its a shock to the system right now.

Diabetic management is light years ahead of when I was diagnosed in 1978 (spent Christmas in hospital that year!), obviously a few things will change in your life but nothing that is life changing if you follow me! Having a nurse for a wife should be a help though I trust she'll give you the space to still be you rather than a permanent patient :)

keano_afc wrote: »
    Hi. I was diagnosed with Type 1 on Thursday. The last couple of days have been a whirlwind, there's been tears, denial, pity and confusion. I guess the hardest part was how quickly it happened, I started feeling weak and really thirsty on Tuesday and 2 days later I was told I am type 1. I guess I'm just wondering how long you guys took to get over the realisation. My wife is a nurse which helps but I have such low moments. I'm I my 36 with 2 young kids and this is the last thing I expected to get. Sorry if I seem all over the place, everything is taking time to process.
    23.5 years!

Coming up to 24 years from diagnosis this august;)

You'll get used to it fairly quickly, tbh, it's just another thing to do like brushing your teeth or shaving or checking your blood sugar levels. Eating well and not to excess is 80% of the story, I would say for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

keano_afc I found that having the anniversary of my date of diagnosis as a date that I allowed myself to be upset as useful - it has improved a lot since I was diagnosed as a 10 year old in 1986...other things I have been diagnosed with since were far worse (including oeosphageal cancer in 2006) but that is for another day...

Your wife will be of great help, my husband is a first aider and has always been amazing help. I do have two young children (4 and 5) who do not like seeing me doing my blood tests or taking insulin but they know that their mummy is a type 1 diabetic and if I act strange to give me sugary drinks but it does not phase them.

I do fully understand the shock but it was so many years ago for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Hello,
    I've had Type 1 for almost 23 years; I'm in my 40's with 2 children aged 11 & 9. It is overwhelming at first but eventually it's less so. There is a type 1 diabetes support group in Dublin who meet every month - they're a great bunch. This is there Facebook page; https://www.facebook.com/groups/169847736412651/ They are actually getting together this coming Wednesday the 3rd February 6:30 in the Novo Nordisk offices 2nd floor on Hume Street.

Also, this booklet might be a bit of a help to you; Type 1 Diabetes Starter Kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

graflynn wrote: »
    Hello,
    I've had Type 1 for almost 23 years; I'm in my 40's with 2 children aged 11 & 9. It is overwhelming at first but eventually it's less so. There is a type 1 diabetes support group in Dublin who meet every month - they're a great bunch. This is there Facebook page; https://www.facebook.com/groups/169847736412651/ They are actually getting together this coming Wednesday the 3rd February 6:30 in the Novo Nordisk offices 2nd floor on Hume Street.

Also, this booklet might be a bit of a help to you; Type 1 Diabetes Starter Kit.

Thank you. I'll check that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Is 36 old to be getting type1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Not at all, your immune system is well capable of making bits of you at any time if it gets a bit confused or bored

could be worse, lovely array of autoimmune stuff out there

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/stiffperson/stiffperson.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Don't worry you'll be grand, I like you got diagnosed when I was 30, they thought I was type two and threated me like that for ahead or two before switching me to type 1 medication. One thing you should get tested for is Haemachromatosis which is a condition of to much iron in the blood which can attack organs like the pancreas which as you know produces insulin. I recently discovered I have this condition and it possibly one of the reasons I got type 1 diabetes in my 30's.
    Other then that it just becomes part of life checking bloods, injecting insulin and watching your diet. It's a big deal now as it was for us all but you will be fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Just wondering has anyone followed the research of Prof Roy Taylor in Newcastle Uni with regard to reversing type 2 and the book by Dr Michael Mosley who has developed the 8 week low sugar diet.

www.thebloodsugardiet.com

Just wondering has anyone followed the research of Prof Roy Taylor in Newcastle Uni with regard to reversing type 2 and the book by Dr Michael Mosley who has developed the 8 week low sugar diet.

www.thebloodsugardiet.com
    I'm reading the book atm. It's a very restrictive diet, especially if you are very active like I am currently. It's equivalent to eating 4 potatoes a day as your carbohydrate allowance. I'm only 3 or 4 chapters in so I will reserve judgement until I have it all read.

Are you considering going on it?

I'm reading the book atm. It's a very restrictive diet, especially if you are very active like I am currently. It's equivalent to eating 4 potatoes a day as your carbohydrate allowance. I'm only 3 or 4 chapters in so I will reserve judgement until I have it all read.

Are you considering going on it?

I started it yesterday :D

I have 6 or 7 of each course done out and overall i should be ok. Its more about taste and variety than volume for me.

I'm only on tablets 20 months, i was just keeping all in control by diet/exercise ( i did a lot of exercise ). So i'm still within that 5 year window to reverse it.

I can post my menu if you want ?

I started it yesterday :D

I have 6 or 7 of each course done out and overall i should be ok. Its more about taste and variety than volume for me.

I'm only on tablets 20 months, i was just keeping all in control by diet/exercise ( i did a lot of exercise ). So i'm still within that 5 year window to reverse it.

I can post my menu if you want ?
    I'll read the book first and see if it's for me but if you have the chance I'd like a look at some options alright.

I'll read the book first and see if it's for me but if you have the chance I'd like a look at some options alright.

I read the book but had already done some research into it.

Here is what i'm looking at eating for the next 8 weeks. For me its all about getting flavour into my food while being able to eat on the run when needs be.

Here is a rough guide at what i’m looking to put in practice as my diet for the next 8 weeks. Thoughts ??
    Breakfast –
    Flat mushroom, cherry tomatos & bacon medallions
    Scrabbled eggs & beans ( reduced sugar )
    Flat Mushroom and poached eggs
    bacon medallion & egg baked in the oven
    Mushroom and cheesy beans ( reduced sugar )
    Shakes instead of cooked breakfast
    Green tea & blueberry shake- Chilled green tea, blueberries, greek yogurt, almonds & flaxseed
    Melon, spinach & blueberry – melon, blueberries, unsweetened almond milk, spinach leaves & sunflower seeds
    Weekend brunch – cause sometimes weekend days mean we can’t eat 3 meals.
    The pancakes made with coconut flour & strawberries
    A decent omlette, mushrooms, onion, cherry tomato, spinach, worcestershire sauce ( use egg whites and one full egg to reduce cal )
    Sausage ( low cal gluten free ), bacon, poached egg, beans ( reduced sugar )
    Poached egg & salmon stack – flat mushroom, smoked salmon, creme fraiche, wholegrain mustard, lemon juice, poached eggs, pine nuts
    Veg Frittata ( like an omlette ) – red peppers, scalons, garlic, chickpeas, paprika, spinach, eggs ( one full and one white per portion )
    Right lunches
    Chicken salad – chicken cooked in cajun mix, onion, peppers, sweetcorn, rocket, snap peas, chick peas, cherry tomato
    Tuna salad as above but mixed with either yogurt, hummus or avacado ( to be decided after samples to taste )
    Add to that
    Spanish chickpea and spinach soup, it has chorizo in it as well
    Med chicken soup – baked chicken breast, onion, leak, rewd pepper, veg stock, tinned tomato, garlic, basil, oragano.
    Prawn Pho, its a soup with bean sprouts, sweetcorn, snap peas etc.
    Veg Frittata – as above can be reheated and reduce cal buy replacing 2 eggs with egg whites.
    At home –
    Lettuce cups –
    Crab & Mustard – crab meat, creme fraiche, dijon mustard, lemon juice ( can add onion or peppers )
    Chicken & Walnut – As above but with chicken, and some tiny pieces of red apple, sprinkle some walnut pieces on top.
    Ricotta, Pear & Walnut salad – ricotta, scalons, green beans, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic clove, pear & walnuts.
    Skinny spicey bean burgers – mushrooms, coriander, cannellini beans, kidney beans, onion, chilli,

Dinner
    Our chilli ( honey removed ) – Lean mince, tinned tomato, worcestershire sauce, garlic, chilli, reduced sugar baked beans, onion, red peppers, mushrooms, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, beef stock cube.
    Steak with side salad – Leans steak
    Bulked up stir fry – prawn/chicken/beef with stir fried veg, coconut oil, soy sauce and low cal sweetner, chilli, garlic, ginger.
    Cottage pie with celeriac topping – lean mince, tinned tomatos, onion, mushroom, garden peas, garlic.
    Cajun chicken with 3 types of veg
    Fish pie with celeriac topping – onion, leek, parsley, mushrooms, white fish, prawns, 1 bay leaf, milk.
    Courgetti Prawns – leek, courgette, ginger, chilli, garlic, lemon juice, prawns, cannellini beans
    Beef & pine nut meatballs & Moroccan salad – (meatballs) – lean mince, onion, garlic, pine nuts, paprika, all spice, cumin, egg white, parsley (salad ) – spinach, sliced almonds, chickpeas, scalons, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice.
    Spicey chicken & lentils – fennel, red onion, garlic, thyme, chilli, chicken, green lentils, snap peas
    Crabcakes – crab, sweetcorn, paprika, woster sauce, mayo, scalons, parsley, lemon juice, serve with veg.
    Turkey steaks – serve with veg
    Spicey turkey mince – Turkey mince, yellow peppers, onion, chilli, garlic, soy sauce. – served with a side sala

Welcome to the club Keano!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

I came across this talk that's happening in a couple of weeks that might be of interest to people: https://www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?p=100&n=110&a=6684
    The rise and rise of diabetes in Ireland will be the focus of a free RCSI MyHealth public health lecture in the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, on Thursday, 3rd March 2016. Medical and research experts will discuss the rapid growth of diabetes to help people make informed health decisions about living with the condition. The lecture will be held from 18.30 - 20.30 at RCSI, 123 St. Stephen's Green, Dublin.

• Advertisement

Got my hba1c today. Coming in at 51 in new levels -or 6.8 in old money. That's 18 months achieving sub 7 since I went on the pump.

Control has always thankfully been pretty good - for 30+ years - but was always slightly north of 7 - until I got the pump.

Defo worth it.

Advertisement