Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

You should definitely have some chocolate to celebrate.

Chocolate doesn't have much effect on my BG level so I don't see it as a treat really. Pizza on the other hand, always spikes my BG so I avoid it as much as possible. :(
    Yeah, pizza is a PITA. I have to do a combo bolus but I can never seem to get it right.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Are Diabete-versarys a big thing. I never thoguht about it until social media eg twitter pointed them out. I remember very little before I was a Diabetic and never think about it.
    Do alot of people celebrate/remember them?

30+ years myself, I don't think I have ever stopped to take it in and remember in a birthday style event.

this said I was born a grumpy old sh1t and didn't celebrate my birthday until my kids started doing that for me.
    I wouldn't normally think about it either except a friend pointed out that I've spent nearly half my life diabetic a while back so I checked out the date of diagnosis. I had tickets to Bryan Adams at the Trip to Tipp, I think it was called, and had to give them to a friend. I'm still cross with my pancreas for that:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Are Diabete-versarys a big thing. I never thoguht about it until social media eg twitter pointed them out. I remember very little before I was a Diabetic and never think about it.
    Do alot of people celebrate/remember them?

30+ years myself, I don't think I have ever stopped to take it in and remember in a birthday style event.
    30 years was kind of a biggie for me, that was last year - I used to make a point of the date of diagnosis anniversary when I was a child to allow myself one day to get upset about it if I felt like it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's weird, I remember being unwell, the drinking, peeing, general ****tiness. I remember the diagnosis. The first time I went in to the Diabetes clinic and all that went with it.

I have memories of life before Diabetes, but I don't remember what it was like not to have to be a diabetic.

Just weird, I know it happened, I remember a few things from the time before but there is a disconnect in regards the comparable freedom. BG testing and insulin are so much of me that there is no memory where I can say, I wasn't doing those things.

Suppose I don't celebrate the anniversary because, while I remember life before Diabetes, I don't remember not being a diabetic, which sounds stupid when I say it out loud.

I can see the point of it though, just not for me, different strokes for different folks.

It's weird, I remember being unwell, the drinking, peeing, general ****tiness. I remember the diagnosis. The first time I went in to the Diabetes clinic and all that went with it.

I have memories of life before Diabetes, but I don't remember what it was like not to have to be a diabetic.

Just weird, I know it happened, I remember a few things from the time before but there is a disconnect in regards the comparable freedom. BG testing and insulin are so much of me that there is no memory where I can say, I wasn't doing those things.

Suppose I don't celebrate the anniversary because, while I remember life before Diabetes, I don't remember not being a diabetic, which sounds stupid when I say it out loud.

I can see the point of it though, just not for me, different strokes for different folks.
    +1

I know there was a time when I didn't have to check my blood or take insulin or make sure there was some snack nearby in case I had a hypo but it's like it's a bit removed from reality at this stage. The whole process of managing my diabetes is so ingrained into my routines every day that I think I would struggle not to carry out those routines at this stage.

I would like to give it a try though:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Was diagnosed in April with Type 1 (age 20), got my first HbA1c today (apart from the one a few weeks after diagnosis) and it is 4.9% :D

rm212 wrote: »
    Was diagnosed in April with Type 1 (age 20), got my first HbA1c today (apart from the one a few weeks after diagnosis) and it is 4.9% :D
    Fair play, that's great going.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Fair play, that's great going.

Thanks a lot! I'm very happy, I've been working really hard on my control and eating habits and it is nice to see it pay off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

rm212 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot! I'm very happy, I've been working really hard on my control and eating habits and it is nice to see it pay off

Just checking to see if u received my PM? X

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lolzipop

hello everyone,

new here so hi!

Have a question - how do you deal with sweating issues if you have a hypo at night? ive moved in with my partner and whenever i have a hypo at night the bedding is destroyed. need to buy a new mattress.

I know I shouldn't be having them but if im sick or something they occassionally do.

Would you use mattress protectors? Pillow protectors? I bought one mattress protector and it was so flimsy it ripped during the night.

Any advice appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,323 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Can type 2 be reversed?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Can type 2 be reversed?

In some cases, depends on so many factors, it is impossible to answer as a sweeping yes or no statement. If you are a type 2 Diabetic, no matter the stage or causes, the things that can help lead to reversal in some cases are probably worth doing anyway, even if they do not reverse it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone here any experience with retinopathy, macular edema or vitreous surgery. I am going in for my second vitrectomy surgery early next week, first one was unsuccessful a couple of months back. I am type 2 with better control but had very poor sugar readings for the past two years due to a number of issues beyond my control the past 4 months now my sugar readings have been under 10 where in the past they were in the high teens to mid twenties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Recall :

Recall of Four Batches of GlucaGen HypoKit to Patient Level in Ireland

The reason for the recall is that in a small number of units (0.006%) the syringe needle has become detached from the syringe.

https://www.hpra.ie/homepage/medicines/safety-notices/item?t=/recall-of-four-batches-of-glucagen-hypokit-to-patient-level-in-ireland&id=89130726-9782-6eee-9b55-ff00008c97d0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

hi all
    Im fairly recently diagnosed with Type 1 (June 2016). Im early 50s and pretty fit (I train 6 - 7 sessions per week.
    Seem to be managing OK so far.
    Two questions for more experienced people out there, IM guessing there are pretty strange queries and I might not get any answers!!
    1/as my name suggests I play the banjo so I dont prick the 4 fingers on my left hand so that means I need to rotate pricking my left thumb and all the digits on my right hand....so I suppose this is not really a questions, more about does anybody elsle have the same situation and handle it the same yay?
    2/my main sport is swimming, Im competitive, ie I go to swimming galas, so I track my times and for my main event (100m fly), I noticed around the time I was diagnosed that I was about 2 - 3 seconds slower per 100m. Is this fairly typical for people who get Type 1 and how long does this dip in performance last for, is it typically a temporary blip or longer term?

banjobongo wrote: »
    1/as my name suggests I play the banjo so I dont prick the 4 fingers on my left hand so that means I need to rotate pricking my left thumb and all the digits on my right hand....so I suppose this is not really a questions, more about does anybody elsle have the same situation and handle it the same yay?
    I don't play banjo but I know some diabetics who play string instruments. Why would you avoid pricking the four fingers?
    2/my main sport is swimming, Im competitive, ie I go to swimming galas, so I track my times and for my main event (100m fly), I noticed around the time I was diagnosed that I was about 2 - 3 seconds slower per 100m. Is this fairly typical for people who get Type 1 and how long does this dip in performance last for, is it typically a temporary blip or longer term?
    While I was diagnosed at a young age, it makes sense that your competitive times would take a dip, the fact that is was only 2 or 3 seconds is good as I could imagine the way some people are at diagnosis, they would not have bothered getting in the pool. It should only be a blip, so long as you get yourself on track. Reading Diabetic athlete blogs from around the world, some even claim improved performance due to the enforced requirements (regiment, no performance gains from Diabetes unfortunately). I certainly have never had any issues competing and when I am looking after myself, my times are far better. Good control, good diet and stick to your training plan, and T1DM should not hinder your times in anyway, it may just take a bit of time to get yourself on target, but once that is achieved, you will be back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

thanks for your feedback CramCycle!
    re fingers for hte banjo, I found pricking them and then playing the banjo that my fingers hurt, so now I avoid using these four fingers when Im pricking for blood....
    re competing/training times, glad to hear that, I hope if I keep training to be at least back where I was before I got the diabetes....
    cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,323 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Can you not donate blood if you are diabetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Can you not donate blood if you are diabetic

Not if you are taking insulin. Don't know about other medication, check with the BTSB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone here any experience with retinopathy, macular edema or vitreous surgery. I am going in for my second vitrectomy surgery early next week, first one was unsuccessful a couple of months back. I am type 2 with better control but had very poor sugar readings for the past two years due to a number of issues beyond my control the past 4 months now my sugar readings have been under 10 where in the past they were in the high teens to mid twenties.

Still looking for info if anyone has any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Insulin Pump:
    I am going to be put on a pump soon and have been asked to choose which one I want from the 2 available.
    I can get either the Animas Vibe or the Medtronic Paradigim. Has anybody any experience with either of these? Any recomendations?

Insulin Pump:
    I am going to be put on a pump soon and have been asked to choose which one I want from the 2 available.
    I can get either the Animas Vibe or the Medtronic Paradigim. Has anybody any experience with either of these? Any recomendations?

I'm on the Animas Vibe since last year, no problems so far. Easy to use but must get some calculations adjusted soon.

It takes a bit of time to get your basal rates set up but after that it's very simple.

Edit. A good book to read might be 'Think like a pancreas' by Gary Scheiner. I found it very good anyway, recommended by someone on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Still looking for info if anyone has any.

Yeah I have it. Have had some laser and injections over last 3 years, eyesight is ok.

Mate blood pressure is the most important thing with your eyes. I went to my GP when I was having bleeds, he put me on one tablet a day. I have only had a small one in the last year.

Also keep your average bloods at about 7.5 or less. Helps a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,953 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So just out of my 7 month checkup Hba1c's on the way back up, my Doc has suggested maybe looking at the Freestyle Libre apparently it's launching here in November but he said HSE won't entertain putting it on the LTI scheme so it would have to come out of the patients pocket currently the starter pack is 159.99 sterling which is 185 euros and £57.95 which translates to €67.24 per 14 day patch I am sure the prices will be higher here when they launch anyone thinking of getting one of these?
    For those who don't know it's a patch you stick under your arm has a little needle and you just pass the meter over it and it will take a reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Guys
    I've a load of test strips cassettes and fast click lancettes for an accuceheck mobile tester.
    If anyone wants them please let me know.
    I've also got the machine.
    Got it for my mother and she didn't like it so I went back to contour for her.
    I'm in Dublin. Just PM me

Edit to say it's about 6 months worth of stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

So just out of my 7 month checkup Hba1c's on the way back up, my Doc has suggested maybe looking at the Freestyle Libre apparently it's launching here in November but he said HSE won't entertain putting it on the LTI scheme so it would have to come out of the patients pocket currently the starter pack is 159.99 sterling which is 185 euros and 57.95 which translates to 67.24 per 14 day patch I am sure the prices will be higher here when they launch anyone thinking of getting one of these?
    For those who don't know it's a patch you stick under your arm has a little needle and you just pass the meter over it and it will take a reading.

I use it. I just use the sensor and the LibreLink app, rather than the monitor. So essentially my phone works as the monitor.

The price in Ireland will likely be around that, if not 59.90 as that is the price in France.

In terms of benefit, it's amazing. Compared to the cost, not as amazing.
    If you can afford it, then do it. If it makes your budgets tight, then use it intermittently.

I would definitely recommend it if you have an increased Hba1c. You will learn a lot from it. I started using it after 15 years and learned from it.

So if you have a smarphone with NFC, just get the sensor and use it that way. You'll get a great understanding of the effect of exercise, different foods, and how you recover from Highs and Lows.

Investing 120 in 2 sensors and using it for a month could be the difference between a 6-7 average and a 9-10 average.

The cost over time though will add up, but there's no shame in going back to strips. You'll still have the new understanding of how your body works, and you can apply that to fill in the gaps between finger pricks.

Stupid headline but an article on the costs of Diabetes for Ireland is 265,000 euro a day.

I thought it would be more, tbh.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/obesity-diabetic-bill-now-at-265k-each-day-35133789.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭uli84

Guys, do you have to pay to your GP for the prescription with the new date? I always thought LTI book prescription doesn't have to be renewed every 6 months but was told by the pharmacy it has to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,511 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

uli84 wrote: »
    Guys, do you have to pay to your GP for the prescription with the new date? I always thought LTI book prescription doesn't have to be renewed every 6 months but was told by the pharmacy it has to.

Prescriptions do have to have an expiry date so the pharmacy is correct about that. As for paying it is completely down to your GP. Some do charge, some dont.

• Advertisement

I do try and get it done at my hospital appointment to save hassle on this.

As said above, depends on your GP. Mine down the country never charges, I just give him the list over the phone and he leaves it behind the counter. My GP up here charged me 65euro the first time but told it would be left behind the counter if I ever need one again.

Advertisement