Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭uli84

hmmm,
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]I spoke with HSE information line and they stated that the long term illness book doesn t need to be updated every 6 months, only as treatment changes and new medication / devices are added. [/font][font=Calibri","sans-serif]However, it is common practice that your prescription from your doctor will need to be updated every 6 months to reflect either renewal or review of your diabetes treatment following diabetes check by doctor/ nurse.[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Now, I am even more confused - do I need the prescription at all so or LTI book is enough?[/font]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,511 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

uli84 wrote: »
    hmmm,
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]I spoke with HSE information line and they stated that the long term illness book doesn t need to be updated every 6 months, only as treatment changes and new medication / devices are added. [/font][font=Calibri","sans-serif]However, it is common practice that your prescription from your doctor will need to be updated every 6 months to reflect either renewal or review of your diabetes treatment following diabetes check by doctor/ nurse.[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Now, I am even more confused - do I need the prescription at all so or LTI book is enough?[/font]

your prescription should be written into your LTI book. it is the prescription that is renewed every 6 months not the book. the book is valid until there is no more space for additional prescriptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭palmcut

hmmm,

Any prescription is only valid for a maximum of 6 months. Some prescriptions are only valid for one dispensing.
    In the case of the LTI you have to renew your prescription every six months for all items including strips, needles and devices.
    A pharmacist who dispenses without a valid prescription can be taken to fitness to practice and may lose their licence to practice.
    From a health point of view it makes sense to get your medicines reviewed every 6 months at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭ebbsy

hmmm,

I can give you my experience on this. When you go to the clinic for the checkup get the doctor to write REPEAT on your prescription. You do not have to get a new one every 6 months.

My previous chemist pulled me up on my prescription. I now go to a different chemist with no problems. Do the same if you have to.

hmmm,

I can give you my experience on this. When you go to the clinic for the checkup get the doctor to write REPEAT on your prescription. You do not have to get a new one every 6 months.

My previous chemist pulled me up on my prescription. I now go to a different chemist with no problems. Do the same if you have to.

• Advertisement

Apologies Multiple post.

I was so annoyed that the chemist was gIving me a lecture on it, especially since I was attending the clinic every year.

Although now I have graduated to a 2 yearly appointment I might go to the GP next year anyway.

ebbsy wrote: »

Thanks, will do, the care of my diabetes is fully in the hospital, I don't see how the GP can review my medications if he hasn't prescribed them in the first place or seen me in 6 years, my hospital visit is in 3 months.

Thanks, will do, the care of my diabetes is fully in the hospital, I don't see how the GP can review my medications if he hasn't prescribed them in the first place or seen me in 6 years, my hospital visit is in 3 months.

My GP put me on blood pressure tablets. Helps the eyes a lot. When I went back to the hospital clinic the Doctor updated the script for me. Make sure they write repeat prescription on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

The doctor writing 'repeat' turns it from a single prescription to a 6 month one. 6 months is the longest any prescription can be valid for. Your pharmacist just isn't abiding by the law.

• Advertisement

ok, so is it fine asking the GP who hasn't seen me once to copy that prescription and put a new date on it or I should post it to the hospital asking for the same thing? I'm just worried the GP will be like - oh you need to come for a visit blah blah as I have no time for that since it's the end of the year and all my hols are taken at this stage and I'm not sick to take sick from work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭palmcut

Two pharmacists have been censured for supplying medication without prescription. Both were found guilty of poor professional performance by the Irish pharmacy the regulator.
    In this case there was an original prescription but it had not been renewed in over 14 months.(see PSI website psi.ie)

All prescriptions have to be renewed at least every 6 months and some prescriptions have to be renewed more often.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ok, so is it fine asking the GP who hasn't seen me once to copy that prescription and put a new date on it or I should post it to the hospital asking for the same thing? I'm just worried the GP will be like - oh you need to come for a visit blah blah as I have no time for that since it's the end of the year and all my hols are taken at this stage and I'm not sick to take sick from work.

It is OK in that you probably know better than your GP the list of meds for your LTI booklet. As for time to go in, it is unlikely if they have any sense but if they do, it would be a fairly ****ty employer who would not let you go for a check up.

Unless the GP gives ma a different pump my medication will NOT change, it's simple as that and l'm not trying to be smart. As for work they don't know I have diabetes but in any case no annual leave left means I can't be off. Anyhow, end of topic.

Ring up your GP and explain the situation and you just need the script for your LTI. Most GPs will be grand and leave it behind the desk. You may have to pay, you may not. Not sure anyone can say better than that. you could also ring the hospital and ask them to post one out, not impossible if you have been attending the clinic regularly.

When will diabetics get free GP visits ? Never probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

For anyone on the Animas Vibe pump and wondering about trying CGM, Animas have a special offer on atm where you can get 4 CGM patches and 1 transmitter for £250 delivered. You can't have used a CGM for the pump before to qualify for the offer.

You will have to register with them first which takes a few days but delivery times seem quick. I ordered today and should get delivery on Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Loopylou1

Hey just seen ur comment if u click on vat on the English site works out a bit cheaper but nearly the same €59.95 on the Irish site, it will take some time to come available on LTI but hopefully soon, there a group on Facebook that has been set up with parents that are paying for it to try and get on LTI, writing to local tds and also at petition also set up for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Folks,

Had a rough time of it lately with stomach issues.
    Luckily it has been rectified and identified as a side effect of Victoza.
    I had been on it with fantastic control for 3yrs+, Initially apart from the ramping issues when adjusting to the dose I had no issues.

Stomach issues kicked of just over a year ago and have gotten steadily worse. My Endo didn't think Victoza was the cause but as a boot and braces measure discontinued it a month ago.
    3 days after my last dose, the stomach issues stopped and have not reoccured :)

So after my follow up with the Endo yesterday he was of delighted the side effects are sorted.
    My control however is totally blown.
    During the course of discussing my treatment options, it transpires that he believes I may not be a Type 2 at all, but rather a "Latent autoimmune Diabetes of Adults" and as such basically have slowly developing late onset type 1 diabetes.
    I'm waiting on the results of antibody tests to confirm,but he is basing this on my age at diagnosis, BMI, lifestyle and a few other factors.

I am feeling a little de-flated, I had approached my type 2 as self inflicted to a great degree and fought hard to maintain control of my HbA1c and did a good job in the main over the last 4 years, with a control range of 6.5 for the vast majority of the time.

That said, if it is the type of diabetes the Endo suspects.
    I will shortly be going on insulin therapy as my treatment regime, any advice on how to get to grips with insulin?
    Pitfalls, quick wins and general advice will be appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

If you are taking insulin I would suggest to ask to attend a DAFNE or BERGER course asap. These courses show you how to carb count so you match the amount of fast acting insulin you take to the amount of carbs in your meal/snack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

hi all
    I was first diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in June of this year.
    When I first diagnosed my HbA1c reading was 98, the 2nd 3 mth reading, taken after being on insulin for about 2 months was 68, and I had my first 3 mth HbA1c reading today after being in insulin for the full three months and my reading was 45, which they said was very good but almost too good as its close to getting hypos, but I have had very few hypos so they are happy with my results. Im still getting to grips with it all, is 45 a good reading?
    I exercise pretty much every day, dont drink a lot so I have not had to make major changes in my lifestyle...

banjobongo wrote: »
    hi all
    When I first diagnosed my HbA1c reading was 98, the 2nd 3 mth reading, taken after being on insulin for about 2 months was 68, and I had my first 3 mth HbA1c reading today after being in insulin for the full three months and my reading was 45, which they said was very good but almost too good as its close to getting hypos, but I have had very few hypos so they are happy with my results. Im still getting to grips with it all, is 45 a good reading?
    I exercise pretty much every day, dont drink a lot so I have not had to make major changes in my lifestyle...

Pretty damn good, just about 7 in old money if I am right. Below 7 is the aim, but like they said, if you do that with a load of hypos, it is not much good to you. Fair play, better than me at the minute and I have it over 30years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'm not holding my breath but trials due to start in two years for encapsulated insulin producing cell that could mean replacing the capsule every few months and no more injections.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/dec/08/new-diabetes-treatment-could-eliminate-need-for-insulin-injections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone recommend an over the counter treatment of cold/flu symptoms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Hi Harry,

There's no medical advice allowed on the forum. If you pop into a pharmacy they'll be able to recommend something that would be suitable for you to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Loopylou1

banjobongo wrote: »
    hi all

That's a great result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Removed text.

Happy new year and good fortune in the ongoing battle for glucose control

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gazboh17

Hi I'm a newbie relatively speaking to this was diagnosed as type 1 back in March. Happy new year to all of you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell

Hi all, being treated for type 2 but they are testing me to see if I am 2 or 1.......started insulin around 3 wks ago and need to lose weight. The dietician told me to exercise first thing in the morning so I will be walking or exercise bike, but I want to try Pilates and aquafit in the evening. Can anyone maybe give me tips as to what would be the best way to do it?? Do I need to eat before or after?

Thanks!

Advertisement