Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I have a milestone on Monday - 32 years since my diagnosis with type 1 diabetes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I have a milestone on Monday - 32 years since my diagnosis with type 1 diabetes!
    Congratulations?:)

I'll be Diabetic for half my lifetime on the 21st of this month. Shows what you can calculate in an idle 5 minutes with a computer instead of working:o

Congratulations?:)

I'll be Diabetic for half my lifetime on the 21st of this month. Shows what you can calculate in an idle 5 minutes with a computer instead of working:o
    When I was younger I used to allow myself this day to be upset about being diabetic but not allow the rest of the year - as I got older I needed it less. I have been diabetic since I was 10, now you can calculate my age :)

When I was younger I used to allow myself this day to be upset about being diabetic but not allow the rest of the year - as I got older I needed it less. I have been diabetic since I was 10, now you can calculate my age :)
    Same age as myself, forever 21;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Immelman wrote: »
    Thanks Aeternum for the info I have done DAFNE which apparently is a prerequisite for IPT , Medtronic was mentioned but not a model. With technology moving on so quickly I would like to know what models are currently being offered in the clinics
    Technology moves fast but the HSE doesn't. They will always be years behind the curve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

Hi folks, T2 here for the last couple of years on Janumet 50/1000 twice daily.

Has anyone ever experienced building resistance to janumet?

I've been eating like a spartan (really really healthily and extremely low carb) lately and exercising (2 mile walk/run daily) but the numbers are just not reflecting that and seem to be rising.

Seeing my endo in a fortnight, just wondering if anyone had ever experienced anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Lisc28 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the best time of day to take Victoza? I've to start it today or tomorrow with Metformin. I know that it will give me stomach upset for a couple of weeks before adjusting, but I'm just wondering if anyone who's taken it before knows when the best time to take it is? Thanks! :-)

I take it before I go to bed. Been on it since January and never had an issue with nausea.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I never had a diabetic day, I know it was summer time, and could probably make a good approximation. 33years this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Boohoo71

Can anyone recommend a good type 1 consultant, was with h Dr Firth until he retired - what a loss, and am still without one.

I have an anniversary of sorts today. I have now spent half my life as a Diabetic and half not.

Tomorrow I'll be more than half my life Diabetic so carrying herself and the kids out to dinner tonight (may be McDonalds:pac:).

So, cheers for all the advice for the last few years, it's appreciated:)

• Advertisement

Buford T. Justice V happy anniversary of sorts.

Boohoo71 - Donal O'Shea is a good type 1 diabetes doctor. from my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I did read up on it - however I have been in a fast situation in the past (when I could not eat when I was being diagnosed with esophageal cancer in 2006) and my type 1 diabetes is still here.

They are also induced mouse models, great for testing certain hypothesis's, not so great for others. T1D reversal and Beta cell proliferation is in the latter in my opinion. At best it might relate to someone in very early stages, the point where they are not even diagnosed or diagnosable. This said, reading through the paper, I get the impression that the FMD is not a good idea for T1DM (unless it is induced) but may provide temporary improvements in T2DM, but again, not prolonged unless the other factors that instigated it are tackled (if possible).

There is nothing wrong with the paper, there is something seriously wrong with the Indos interpretation of it. I actually think the paper is very good but unfortunately, good science needs headline grabbing popular science to continue, leading to false hope for some.

I remember the 'honeymoon' phase where I was off insulin for a while in the first few months, I was exercising for a few hours a day and eating little. It was tough, all because a few relatives had said that I could reverse it and my parents believed them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I remember the 'honeymoon' phase where I was off insulin for a while in the first few months, I was exercising for a few hours a day and eating little. It was tough, all because a few relatives had said that I could reverse it and my parents believed them...
    Before the discovery of insulin that was the only way to treat T1D. It didn't reverse it then and it doesn't now. It is easy to forget that less than a century ago the diagnosis was a death sentence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

Is that paper just a rehash of the Newcastle diet thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

Any idea of the breakdown of adults in Ireland who have Type or or Type 2 diabetes, for example would it be around 80% Type 2, 20% type 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

banjobongo wrote: »
    Any idea of the breakdown of adults in Ireland who have Type or or Type 2 diabetes, for example would it be around 80% Type 2, 20% type 1?

From 2013 here: https://www.diabetes.ie/about-us/diabetes-in-ireland/

Not sure what the population difference is from the last census to 2013, as I think the penultimate census was 2011 — but you can probably extrapolate the data somewhat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭jeffk

Got the bad news that I’m type 2 in January, no real surprise as the mother has type one and I’m over weigh (well that’s the common perception, once over weight you must have diabetes)

Started on metformin mylan, got cramps etc and read it was normal, told doctor to be told to stick with it, end of week two got beyond sticking with it.
    Ended up in doctors(awake from 5 coming from both ends) and moved to another tablet (not sure on name, will update when I get them tomorrow as threw box out)

So, after two weeks break from 1st tablet and then two weeks on 2nd tablet I go back into doctor today, this is where the fun starts.

To me her attitude was horrible
    • You’re after putting on weight(1kg), which as I said to her was likely back to normal after almost two weeks of my insides not wanting to stay inside, said nothing more
    • Then started on about pancreas and how it might fail and you’ll need insulin, talk about throwing the towel in and putting me in the dumps
    • About ten times told me to go to slimming world, the other half is on so I copy her. I’ve done it all per diet sheets and then some. If its cut down anymore might as well not eat
    • Then I said well I can’t do much more, seems the harder I try the worse it gets (my blood test was sky high, then 42, tried harder and went to 47) So she started about Loughlinstown and all that they do
    • She never once mentioned the LTI/Green book, I knew about it and the chemist said it, but you’d think they would’ve have said when I was diagnosed. Then an attitude filling it in and had to ask where do I go with it (thought she sent it in)

I was told and made an appointment to see her in three months, got home feeling like crap and changed to original doctor I seen.
    Its bad enough having the illness without the person meant to help you making it worse

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

jeffk wrote: »
    Got the bad news that I’m type 2 in January, no real surprise as the mother has type one and I’m over weigh (well that’s the common perception, once over weight you must have diabetes)

Started on metformin mylan, got cramps etc and read it was normal, told doctor to be told to stick with it, end of week two got beyond sticking with it.
    Ended up in doctors(awake from 5 coming from both ends) and moved to another tablet (not sure on name, will update when I get them tomorrow as threw box out)

So, after two weeks break from 1st tablet and then two weeks on 2nd tablet I go back into doctor today, this is where the fun starts.

To me her attitude was horrible
    • You’re after putting on weight(1kg), which as I said to her was likely back to normal after almost two weeks of my insides not wanting to stay inside, said nothing more
    • Then started on about pancreas and how it might fail and you’ll need insulin, talk about throwing the towel in and putting me in the dumps
    • About ten times told me to go to slimming world, the other half is on so I copy her. I’ve done it all per diet sheets and then some. If its cut down anymore might as well not eat
    • Then I said well I can’t do much more, seems the harder I try the worse it gets (my blood test was sky high, then 42, tried harder and went to 47) So she started about Loughlinstown and all that they do
    • She never once mentioned the LTI/Green book, I knew about it and the chemist said it, but you’d think they would’ve have said when I was diagnosed. Then an attitude filling it in and had to ask where do I go with it (thought she sent it in)

I was told and made an appointment to see her in three months, got home feeling like crap and changed to original doctor I seen.
    Its bad enough having the illness without the person meant to help you making it worse

Give that a rattle along with the diet, it's quick and all you need is a dumbbell and i think chin up bar (one that fits in a door space), i forget if you need the chin up bar:eek:, jaysus!

I don't think there is a huge increase of risk of type 2 if your mum is type 1, so don't blame her for this just yet. It may be a range of things, don't let it get you down.
    You’re after putting on weight(1kg), which as I said to her was likely back to normal after almost two weeks of my insides not wanting to stay inside, said nothing more
    1kg is not a huge amount unless you are tiny. So long as it does not become 1kg every time you go in, I would not worry there.
    Then started on about pancreas and how it might fail and you’ll need insulin, talk about throwing the towel in and putting me in the dumps
    I hope it was just shock tactics, your pancreas certainly won't fail. If it did, you would die, and it would not be from diabetes. Your beta cells might struggle over years and die off but Insulin is readily available and you more than likely have lots of time before that is a possibility let alone an issue.
    About ten times told me to go to slimming world, the other half is on so I copy her. I’ve done it all per diet sheets and then some. If its cut down anymore might as well not eat
    Cutting down on food is not the way to go, you will probably do more harm than good. You are not trying to lose weight, you are trying to become healthier. Fad dieting (I know nothing about slimming world) is not the way to achieve this. Try and get an appointment with a Dietician in the hospital (they should sort you out quickly). Cut down on the refined foods and high sugar content, if possible, cut them out altogether. You will feel awful, it is like kicking an addiction, but it will benefit you in the long run.
    Then I said well I can’t do much more, seems the harder I try the worse it gets (my blood test was sky high, then 42, tried harder and went to 47) So she started about Loughlinstown and all that they do
    Is that mmol/L. It is high, maybe get someone you know who is also diabetic to test on their day to day machine, just to confirm it. Mine was the same many years ago (Type 1 though)
    She never once mentioned the LTI/Green book, I knew about it and the chemist said it, but you’d think they would’ve have said when I was diagnosed. Then an attitude filling it in and had to ask where do I go with it (thought she sent it in)
    She doesn't even need to fill it in, just get a script from her, put it in an envelope with the application form and send it back to wherever your local department is.
    100%. can you check if either medication brought your levels down? Get a glucose monitor for yourself and keep an eye on it, they should have given you one. If your in South Dublin, I have a spare and can drop it off, drop me a PM. Also don't let them put you in a box with type 2. Make sure they rule out late onset type 1 as well.

Try to eat healthy, try and do a bit more exercise, but if you fail one day, to hell with it, you can start again tomorrow. Diabetes Ireland are a helpful bunch, as are most of the posters here, many will know either what you are going through or what is wrong with what you are going through.

CramCycle-Thanks for the reply and all the information, nice to talk to someone about it after what I had with the doctor yesterday

The weight loss
    I’ve generally stayed the same since I started doing the blood tests/being monitored. In fact, as ive said to doctor and people my clothes at times feel looser, one doctor said you could lose inches and not weight

Dieting
    Ive cut right down, I was on orange juice and yogurt drinks per diet sheets the doctors gave me, then realising certain types are only good, so cut that out. After that its natural sugar in hot drinks, grill not fry, plenty of porridge/fibre cereal, best of both bread as a compromise (hardly eat bread), have frozen peppers a mushroom to put in my curry or omelette etc

Blood test
    Sorry, my Hbca1, it was sky high, six months later down to 42, six months later 47, told 48 diabetic so don’t know why I got tablets at 47. Twice asked why it jumped from 42-47 doctor speak and your weight

Monitor
    Thanks very much for your kind offer of a glucose monitor, the chemist offered me a monitor and I said no thanks. I think it’s between denial and I can use the mothers from time to time. I’ve done some of them and all under 10(7 average) and on an old monitor a friend had it was 6.2(afternoon/night readings). Maybe in time I might have to get one

Im going to stick to diet and maybe as you say the odd day or time let it slip, read a booklet herself got me in slimming world and says the same about some sweets etc.
    Then ive my old bike back from bike shop, so be out on that soon and then more active as the summer kicks in

The weight loss
    I’ve generally stayed the same since I started doing the blood tests/being monitored. In fact, as ive said to doctor and people my clothes at times feel looser, one doctor said you could lose inches and not weight
    100% correct from the doctor, in fact it might be indicative of muscle mass increasing or similar, so despite not going in the right direction by your doctors standards, your not doing to badly if that is the case.
    Dieting
    Ive cut right down, I was on orange juice and yogurt drinks per diet sheets the doctors gave me, then realising certain types are only good, so cut that out. After that its natural sugar in hot drinks, grill not fry, plenty of porridge/fibre cereal, best of both bread as a compromise (hardly eat bread), have frozen peppers a mushroom to put in my curry or omelette etc
    Sounds like a pretty reasonable diet, other than the sugars in hot drinks, which may not be a major issue.
    Blood test
    Sorry, my Hbca1, it was sky high, six months later down to 42, six months later 47, told 48 diabetic so don’t know why I got tablets at 47. Twice asked why it jumped from 42-47 doctor speak and your weight
    Ah here, your doctor is full of it, plenty of diabetics who would love a HbA1c like that. I was wondering what the units were when you said 42 and 47 as your blood would be like treacle, but for the HbA1c new money it is only slightly higher than you would like. The aim is to get it under 42, but under 53 and you are still not to far away. You would technically be a prediabetic at this stage.
    Monitor
    Thanks very much for your kind offer of a glucose monitor, the chemist offered me a monitor and I said no thanks. I think it’s between denial and I can use the mothers from time to time. I’ve done some of them and all under 10(7 average) and on an old monitor a friend had it was 6.2(afternoon/night readings). Maybe in time I might have to get one
    Trust me, get one. Your bloods do not sound as dire as the doctor made out, and it would be good for testing out the foods that work for you as well. Test before and then a few hours later and see was there much change.
    Im going to stick to diet and maybe as you say the odd day or time let it slip, read a booklet herself got me in slimming world and says the same about some sweets etc.
    Then ive my old bike back from bike shop, so be out on that soon and then more active as the summer kicks in
    A great form of exercise, take it easy starting off so you don't burn out or hate it, just spin away and enjoy the fresh air and the sights, the bloods will start to look after themselves.

Got tables and I’m on
    One 10MG Forxiga a day

That’s why I’ve had some resentment and asked to go back to original doctor. One of the lads is Type 2 as well and he thinks the auld get you on tablets rather than get you a monitor and diet for a while.

The sister was/is prediabetic for years and has never been put on tablets as far as I know.

Again, thanks for all your help and information, I’ve the diet in hand (or as close as one ever can) so think it’s time to get the exercise part going, especially with good weather/long evenings I’ve no excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Can type 1 diabetics get disability allowance. I thought they couldn't yet I saw an article in the Sunday world where a man mentions he is getting it. Thought I'd ask in the diabetic forum first rather than the state benefits forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I think for disability allowance you have to be unable to work. I don't think T1 really restricts a person from working.

I think for disability allowance you have to be unable to work. I don't think T1 really restricts a person from working.

It doesn't but I have met two people getting it. One who swore blind it was debilitating as she had to take a break to eat every 2 hours. I was quite disgusted and we had a row over it. I can understand it if it caused issues that led you to be unable to work but she was being ridiculous. The other was a neighbour of my fathers who runs his own business for 30+ years, has a decent bit of land, that he has maintained himself with his sons for years. He knows that he is not entitled to it but he was told he would get it, so he went for it.

TLDR No, your not but some will try and a few will probably get it. You shouldn't though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

A survey I stumbled upon. Funnily enough, I never knew injection site lumps had a real name!

https://goo.gl/forms/GIqZMpySdSfxQ5tu2

Do many of you actually get these? I don't really feel lumps, more so just kind of hard tissue, but never as severe as they always seemed to indicate in the hospital.

Advertisement