Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

When I was a kid, I got it bad on the insides of my legs, to the point that it did not form a lump but two hollows. I get it now whenever I do not rotate my pump site within 3 days, i have taken to rotating it every 2-3 days, any longer and my sugars don't react well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

bd2012 wrote: »
    Hi folks, T2 here for the last couple of years on Janumet 50/1000 twice daily.

Has anyone ever experienced building resistance to janumet?

I've been eating like a spartan (really really healthily and extremely low carb) lately and exercising (2 mile walk/run daily) but the numbers are just not reflecting that and seem to be rising.

Seeing my endo in a fortnight, just wondering if anyone had ever experienced anything similar?

So after a cancelled appointment I saw my endo today. He seems as mystified as I am about things. Hba1c was 65 despite very strict diet and exercise routine.

Took some bloods to see what's going on and took me off janumet. Started on synjardy today. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

banjobongo wrote: »
    Id LOVE to be involved in this, Im Type 1 diabetic and I exercise pretty much every day as a keep method of managing my blood sugar levels....but Im too old! at 53....

I've found just the thing for you!

I'm currently out doing that study and came across another.

Age requirement is 40–65.

You will be:

Provided with meals and protein drinks to consume on certain days.
    Asked to visit UCD twice. A small sample blood sample will be taken on your first visit.
    Wear a glucose monitor patch for 2 weeks between visits while you go about your daily activities.

Contact Aoife at aoife.curran.1@ucdconnect.ie or 01 716 2471 or Katy at katy.horner@ucd.ie

Bumped into C-shore at the study. Had thought my control had greatly improved but the things I miss over the day. The libre is picking up a lot of high BG.

Interestingly though despite being hidden in the noise, my % above, below and under target are identical for my fingerprick vs. the CGM, and according to Libres predicted my HbA1c will come in (based on the last week) at around 7mmol/L compared to the higher one I had received a few months ago. Got my blood taken last week so will be interesting to see where I am at the minute.

On another note, doing alot less finger prick tests since I got it, meaning that even though the sensor is 60euro, I am probably saving my LTI book the same amount (if not more) over the same 14 day period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I am using the Libre too - in my case to try and reduce the amount of severe low blood sugars (my Hba1c) has always been good so I can afford to raise it. I am getting bloods soon so will compare my Hba1c and post it.

For me I feel that it has made me realize that I need a CGM pump but that I could manage it. As it stands I have too many unconscious episodes at night for my husband to be able to get vital surgery so I need something more than the Libre. I have brittle diabetes from gastroperisis from gastric cancer surgery over 10 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Also recently switched to the Libre. Have to say their delivery model leaves a lot to be desired. Was meant to have two new sensors delivered on Thursday. It appears that DPD have lost them. Been onto Abbot's call center in France twice plus numerous calls to DPD and Abbot and getting nowhere. Left somewhat of a bad taste in the mouth considering how much you are spending on them.

Do chemists supply them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

CramCycle wrote: »
    Do chemists supply them?

They don't. They're only sold through their site. They send them from France via the UK and annoyingly use DPD for the UK to Ireland leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Quick question regarding insulin pumps, I think mine is reaching the 4 year mark soon enough, in Ireland with the HSE do they replace them at 4 years like they do in the US or is it essentially until they're broken? And if so what's the going model, is it still the Medtronic 715g?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dick Dastardly

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I am using the Libre too - in my case to try and reduce the amount of severe low blood sugars (my Hba1c) has always been good so I can afford to raise it. I am getting bloods soon so will compare my Hba1c and post it.

For me I feel that it has made me realize that I need a CGM pump but that I could manage it. As it stands I have too many unconscious episodes at night for my husband to be able to get vital surgery so I need something more than the Libre. I have brittle diabetes from gastroperisis from gastric cancer surgery over 10 years ago.

I think the new Medtronic pump forecasts hypos and cuts off your basal before the hypo happens. Mine cuts off basal once I hit 3.5mmol but the newer version acts before the low happens. Sounds like a pump & sensor would be a good solution for you.

• Advertisement

Dick Dastardly that pump sounds great - seeing my consultant again soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭uli84

I think the new Medtronic pump forecasts hypos and cuts off your basal before the hypo happens. Mine cuts off basal once I hit 3.5mmol but the newer version acts before the low happens. Sounds like a pump & sensor would be a good solution for you.

I found that function useless, however i had this only on a trial period. The hypo would happen anyways most of the time and the jump back after basal got stopped was crazy high.

uli84 wrote: »
    I found that function useless, however i had this only on a trial period. The hypo would happen anyways most of the time and the jump back after basal got stopped was crazy high.

I'd sooner just an alarm, several situations where my reaction to a hypo will be completely different.

Overdosed by only 0.2units today, felt my bloods crashing around 5:30 but had nothing on me, decided to call it a day and head for out and stop at a shop on the way home. Started my commute home wondering how many times I was in a similar situation, thinking the same thing, then my bloods went so low that i forgot. Anyway, got to a shop, ate a pack of jelly beans, then stopped nearer home and had McDonalds.

I feel horrendous, 2.4 to 20mmol/L in less than 30 minutes, only leveling out now. I feel like someone cracked me with a sledgehammer over the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I had one last night while milking. Barely had the copy on and coordination to pop some glucose sweets and have very little memory of it, just me falling and getting up again a few times.

Like having a hangover all day without the pleasure of a few beers the night before.

I have about 10 hypos (below 4 a day) minimum - it is not fun :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I get days where my bloods wouldn't rise above 5, I mostly get by on basal rates all day and can eat almost anything I want. I often wonder if my pancreas kicks back into life for a few hours before shutting down again:(

I'm lucky that my days are very active and mostly predictable in terms of activity so I can usually settle into a nice simple regime of eating and injections but brittle diabetes sounds horrible, Cathy.

Buford T. Justice V I also have issues that I cannot eat a lot and am supposed to eat small amounts regularly with the cancer surgery but I only get to eat once a day :(

I also have a wonderful little helper that eats her mummy's food so sometimes it is hard to get it right with carb counts - she is worth it though. Even not diabetic's with my surgery have issues with hypos...
    I only take 8 units of nighttime insulin a day and the rest is novorapid (15 units a day on average).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Bumped into C-shore at the study. Had thought my control had greatly improved but the things I miss over the day. The libre is picking up a lot of high BG.

Interestingly though despite being hidden in the noise, my % above, below and under target are identical for my fingerprick vs. the CGM, and according to Libres predicted my HbA1c will come in (based on the last week) at around 7mmol/L compared to the higher one I had received a few months ago. Got my blood taken last week so will be interesting to see where I am at the minute.

On another note, doing alot less finger prick tests since I got it, meaning that even though the sensor is 60euro, I am probably saving my LTI book the same amount (if not more) over the same 14 day period.

Eye opening stuff isn't it.

Strangest thing for me is that the first 14 years of diabetes education for me were focused on being in range at my 4 mealtime tests and that the post-prandial reading was ok to be high as long as it returned for the next meal. However when you see it on screen with CGM it just looks so bad!
    Even after about 10 months on the Libre and then visiting my consultant to discuss applying for the G4, he said that those spikes were to be expected, so it seems that's the method they work off.

Biggest change for me (and challenge) has been limiting mealtime carb to 50g (ideally 30g) to prevent those spikes. Even at those amounts, I've also found that insulin just doesn't work fast enough to keep up with the rate of absorption. I'm still getting about 85% time in range though so I'm happy overall. Just crazy how different it is to what the in-hospital education is.

So now I'm bolusing with NovoRapid about 30 minutes before meals to try and sync the absorption rates and that's working. I don't really like doing it though as it's risky — especially if I don't know exactly what I'm eating. So I find even bolusing 50% of the dose in advance, and the other 50% when I know I'm definitely eating helps too.

Has me looking forward to Fiasp coming out and hopefully getting approval for LTI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

what was the first thing you googled after you were told you had Diabetes?

1/What food can I eat?
    2/What alcohol can I drink?
    3/other?

Just curious! I dont know how to do a survey on Boards, would be interesting to see the results in that format!

I was diagnosed in 1985 so no internet, thankfully things have changed for the better. The Libre has been the biggest change so far.

I was diagnosed in 1985 so no internet, thankfully things have changed for the better. The Libre has been the biggest change so far.

The year I was diagnosed, the closest thing to internet (in our modern meaning of it) was that computers could talk to each other in War Games.

+1 on the CGM being the biggest thing so far, that and (for me) better insulins.

Using syringes was terrible - I was allergic to the Porcine and Bovine Insulin and had to use a lot of incredibly strong antihistamines when I was 10-12 :(

+1 on the CGM being the biggest thing so far, that and (for me) better insulins.

For example, it helped me see my bloods rise from 6.9 at 2am to 27.1 at 8am, for no reason. Sitting in work trying not to vomit while I wait for them to plummet and make me go hypo.

Using syringes was terrible - I was allergic to the Porcine and Bovine Insulin and had to use a lot of incredibly strong antihistamines when I was 10-12 :(

Jebus, normally people are given the Porcine in a, it suits everyone kind of way. I don't remember which was my first, I know I was on synthetics pretty quick though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

For example, it helped me see my bloods rise from 6.9 at 2am to 27.1 at 8am, for no reason. Sitting in work trying not to vomit while I wait for them to plummet and make me go hypo.

Using the Libre I discovered my BG dropped the low 4's around 2am and then rise to 16 around 7am. I use to take my Lantus at 10pm at night and have started to take it earlier (moving it back by 30 minutes every 3 days). My 7am BG is now between 8.7 to 9.2. No dips or spikes through the night.

It's definitely been a game changer for me. :)

Jebus, normally people are given the Porcine in a, it suits everyone kind of way. I don't remember which was my first, I know I was on synthetics pretty quick though.
    I was unlucky - I was diagnosed in 1985 when I was still 10, I had an allergic reaction that lasted a few years even if I did have a 'honeymoon' period where I was off insulin for a while before all my islets of Langerhans were destroyed. The pen's were the first read huge change for the better, then the much faster blood tests and then the latest blood testing technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dick Dastardly

+1 for cgm with pump a close second. Had ok control until I got the pump. Since I got the pump my a1c has been <7 consistently. To be fair huge advancements from mixing insulins, glass syringes, 3 minute bm tests, test tubes and tablets for ketone tests and worst of all those nasty lancets you had to stab your fingers with for a blood test!

• Advertisement

I remember using the dipsticks for the first year or longer. From that to 5 seconds wait for a near gold standard test. Its been a hell of a 30+years.

Advertisement