Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

The medical report form your doctor signs gives a choice of 1, 3 or 10 years. I think most doctors tick the 3 year box. It depends on how good your control is.

Ah well that explains it. My licence must have had 10 years on my doctor's cert.

Wonder what the criteria is for the duration ticked.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

C-Shore wrote: »
    Ah well that explains it. My licence must have had 10 years on my doctor's cert.

Wonder what the criteria is for the duration ticked.

In Ireland nothing more than how well your GP knows you :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I read on one of the FB groups that someone's GP had ticked the 10 year box but the person in NDLS would only give them a three year license. He said it was their policy to only give 3 year licenses to T1D.

My license is due for renewal next month and my doctor has ticked 10 yrs. If anyone in NDLS queries it i will be asking to see their medical qualifications. 😉

I read on one of the FB groups that someone's GP had ticked the 10 year box but the person in NDLS would only give them a three year license. He said it was their policy to only give 3 year licenses to T1D.

My license is due for renewal next month and my doctor has ticked 10 yrs. If anyone in NDLS queries it i will be asking to see their medical qualifications. 😉

Sounds ridiculous, both because it's on the form, but also the whole thing having to be signed off on, with so little specification.

The only thing I would agree with would be people who are hypo unaware requiring a mark on the licence. Other than that, you're pretty much just as fit to drive as any other person. Sure even insurance companies don't increase premiums for diabetics.

If you don't mind, let us know next month what happens. I'm curious now if things have changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'm on my second 10 year renewal since I was diagnosed, never heard of that policy until now.

Every Diabetic I know has normal 10 year full licences issued on renewal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Hi all,

New to this thread. Just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

Discovered during a routine health check at work - got sent for blood tests and they showed a hbac of 87 and a blood glucose level of 13.5.
    Radically changed my diet and got them down to 56 and 7.5 within three months. A further three months elapsed and hbac just down to 55 with blood glucose at 7.8.
    Doctor has put me on Metformin and a statin for cholesterol (4.6 is my level - not bad but he wants it lower).

All of this is my own fault and primarily down to reckless eating (cans, chocolate, crisps, cakes, muffins, desserts daily for years) and little or no exercise.

I have now eliminated all of the above from my diet and starting walking about 45 minutes a day.
    Think I need to do more.
    Was looking for advice on meals.

Aim is to reduce carbs so fewer potatoes and rice, more vegetables.
    I like tinned fish and salad stuff so that is good.
    I presume I should be cutting out white / sour dough bread fully?
    Is granola ok in mornings with natural yogurt?
    Is Ryvita ok with peanut butter as a snack?

Any suggestions on breakfasts or lunches would be good. I get up early (6.15am) and don't eat until I get into work about 2 hours later - the granola and yogurt - plus a slice of bread and marmalade around 10.30am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Any type 2 diabetics managing retinopathy here, Ive had on going issues for the past 19 months now am getting injections done have had a vitrectomy on left eye which restored some vision but have lost a significant amount in the right eye the past 6 months tonight I had an accident on the bus cracking my knee off the bin beside the stairs I am doing the best I can with my sugars but the damage is ongoing to my eyes.

Well I have nothing to say except well done, that is a hell of a change in a short time. Not sure if the medication is even necessary when compared to other type 2s I know.
    Depends who you ask, I think that is a good idea but there is an emerging line of thinking that humans are so adaptable, that once you eat reasonably sized portions and not sh1t, then high carbs or low carbs are not an issue. The majority of diets in the western world are not where high carbs are the issue but more just excessive in general (so high in everything).
    Excellent
    I wouldn't see a point if you don't eat a huge amount of them, maybe cut down if you do.
    Alot of natural yougurts are a reasonable amount of sugar. If you \re going to eat both, I would be looking at trying to fit in a dose of low intensity excercise to burn it up.
    Ryvita is fine, Peanut butter less so but I love it and would eat a tub of it if put in front of me. There is a brand my mother in law found recently that claims no sugar/salt and tastes really good. I will post up the name here as soon as I remember.

Any suggestions on breakfasts or lunches would be good. I get up early (6.15am) and don't eat until I get into work about 2 hours later - the granola and yogurt - plus a slice of bread and marmalade around 10.30am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Hi all,

New to this thread. Just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

Discovered during a routine health check at work - got sent for blood tests and they showed a hbac of 87 and a blood glucose level of 13.5.
    Radically changed my diet and got them down to 56 and 7.5 within three months. A further three months elapsed and hbac just down to 55 with blood glucose at 7.8.
    Doctor has put me on Metformin and a statin for cholesterol (4.6 is my level - not bad but he wants it lower).

All of this is my own fault and primarily down to reckless eating (cans, chocolate, crisps, cakes, muffins, desserts daily for years) and little or no exercise.

I have now eliminated all of the above from my diet and starting walking about 45 minutes a day.
    Think I need to do more.
    Was looking for advice on meals.

I don't think you can go wrong with porridge for breakfast. It really helped me keep my morning bloods under control with its slow release carbohydrate and keeps the hunger pangs at bay as well.

It's not a popular choice by many people but I make it up the night before in milk and microwave it for a few minutes while doing my shots and sorting tablets and stuff. A few blueberries or strawberries thrown in adds a bit of colour and flavour and fruit to the diet too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Holland and Barrett sales are good for the meridian nut butter products , sales are few and far between on the healthy ones though most still got high sugar content, I tend to avoid peanut butter products as the reese stuff is way to much of an urge from dealz.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Well I have nothing to say except well done, that is a hell of a change in a short time. Not sure if the medication is even necessary when compared to other type 2s I know.

Depends who you ask, I think that is a good idea but there is an emerging line of thinking that humans are so adaptable, that once you eat reasonably sized portions and not sh1t, then high carbs or low carbs are not an issue. The majority of diets in the western world are not where high carbs are the issue but more just excessive in general (so high in everything).
    Excellent
    I wouldn't see a point if you don't eat a huge amount of them, maybe cut down if you do.
    Alot of natural yougurts are a reasonable amount of sugar. If you \re going to eat both, I would be looking at trying to fit in a dose of low intensity excercise to burn it up.
    Ryvita is fine, Peanut butter less so but I love it and would eat a tub of it if put in front of me. There is a brand my mother in law found recently that claims no sugar/salt and tastes really good. I will post up the name here as soon as I remember.

Thanks very much. I have started to cut down the portions and try to eat less in the evenings. Re the sour dough - have two slices per day. May cut down to one and see how I get on. I use the M&S peanut butter which seems to have the lowest on the market. Generally have 2 or 3 Ryvita with it - very hard to resist.

It's been a wake-up call.
    Going from
    a San Pellegrino fizzy can + muffin + crisps + bar of chocolate + slice(s) of cake every day
    to
    nothing besides a couple of mandarins and an apple has taken some getting used to.

I don't think you can go wrong with porridge for breakfast. It really helped me keep my morning bloods under control with its slow release carbohydrate and keeps the hunger pangs at bay as well.

It's not a popular choice by many people but I make it up the night before in milk and microwave it for a few minutes while doing my shots and sorting tablets and stuff. A few blueberries or strawberries thrown in adds a bit of colour and flavour and fruit to the diet too.

Thank you - not a huge fan of porridge but will try it again. Adding blueberries would certainly help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Any type 2 diabetics managing retinopathy here, Ive had on going issues for the past 19 months now am getting injections done have had a vitrectomy on left eye which restored some vision but have lost a significant amount in the right eye the past 6 months tonight I had an accident on the bus cracking my knee off the bin beside the stairs I am doing the best I can with my sugars but the damage is ongoing to my eyes.

I've had some injections and laser in both eyes over the last 5 years. Have you had your blood pressure and cholesterol checked ? They can help a lot .Some people have great control and still have eye problems.

Also Google Noctura 400. Not sure if it is here yet but you can go to the UK for it.

Excellent

Thanks very much. I have started to cut down the portions and try to eat less in the evenings. Re the sour dough - have two slices per day. May cut down to one and see how I get on. I use the M&S peanut butter which seems to have the lowest on the market. Generally have 2 or 3 Ryvita with it - very hard to resist.

It's been a wake-up call.
    Going from
    a San Pellegrino fizzy can + muffin + crisps + bar of chocolate + slice(s) of cake every day
    to
    nothing besides a couple of mandarins and an apple has taken some getting used to.

Pears are very good for diabetics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

hi guys
    just an update on my post re driving license renewals for Type 1 diabetes, I just called the NDLS centre and I was told that one you get a license its valid for 10 yrs. In my case it was a coincidence that a year after my first diabetes license it expired, apparently my old one was due to expire around now...and yes, as part of the process you do need to go back to the doctor which will involve expenses...

banjobongo wrote: »
    hi guys
    just an update on my post re driving license renewals for Type 1 diabetes, I just called the NDLS centre and I was told that one you get a license its valid for 10 yrs. In my case it was a coincidence that a year after my first diabetes license it expired, apparently my old one was due to expire around now...and yes, as part of the process you do need to go back to the doctor which will involve expenses...

Yup. Expenses. If you are working and have Diabetes you will be forking out.

Had a cholesterol check today. Paid out.
    Laser to eyes last month. Paid out.
    Doctor in January when I had the flu. Paid out.
    Shoes. Paid out.

Its not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Got my hbA1c today. 6.7, a new personal record! Only took almost 19 years!

I've been in and around 7.2/7.3 for a number of years. Said to my consultant that I wanted to be below 7 6 months ago, which he was dubious about. But I managed it. To be honest, I didn't really change much, I'm pumping and on a CGM which helps greatly.

Woohoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well, this is one of those threads I read and hoped never to have to post ~ here I am lol

Not diagnosed yet, but I had bloods done to check my testosterone levels. This isn't a fasting test as fasting can lower your testosterone, but for some reason which the doc never fully explained he added a glucose test also.

When I got my T levels back the tests showed my glucose at 8, now I'm in no way an expert on this stuff. But the doc explained that 4-7 were normal (on my annual medicals I'm usually around 5, last medical was in Dec).

Obviously not wanting to be diabetic I was a little concerned, but after asking me what I'd eaten on the morning of the test I told him I breakfast like a king, a large blow of porridge with honey, toast and two coffee's (I've a 25km cycle to work, so I need to fuel that) he said this may have caused the test to be elevated and I'm doing a fasted glucose test tomorrow along with a HBC1A test too.

The doc also explained the only box I really tick is that my father is diabetic, but outside of that I've a very clean diet, I train good and with cycling, swimming and Judo I simply couldn't fit in anything else.

Right well, I'm not sure if I'm giving the thread info or just reassuring myself that things are going to be good ~ I'm sure my family and friends are sick of listening to me since my visit to the Doc.

Here's hoping, fingers crossed. I'll update the thread when I get my fasted results.

Positive thinking :)

I can honestly say, if I were a betting man, I'd bet my bike your not diabetic if the test was within 2 hours of the cycle or eating. Not impossible but, cycle in can raise sugar levels with glycogen breakdown, decent high energy slow release breakfast would keep them up a bit and if either were within an hour or two of the bloods taken, there is the more likely answer.

Yeah I don't think you're going to be diagnosed either. Even at that, if it was anything then a BG reading of 8 would indicate type 2 which is nowhere near as difficult to manage as type 1. So there's the silver lining!

The breakfast and caffeine will have played a big role in why it's probably the case that your test was skewed.

Also just to consider (not accusing you) for anyone that might find this thread searching in the context of testosterone and blood glucose, PEDs like HGH and Clen can increase insulin resistance and result in temporarily high blood glucose while taking it. So any blood tests that many people get while on a cycle to keep themselves in check, if they also test for blood glucose, they may return higher than normal BG values but not actually mean diabetes.

• Advertisement

Also just to consider (not accusing you) for anyone that might find this thread searching in the context of testosterone and blood glucose, PEDs like HGH and Clen can increase insulin resistance and result in temporarily high blood glucose while taking it. So any blood tests that many people get while on a cycle to keep themselves in check, if they also test for blood glucose, they may return higher than normal BG values but not actually mean diabetes.

That's interesting, and I don't take it as an accusation as I wasn't on PED's or TRT (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) at the time of the test. The test was actually back in March and the surgery has only got back to me about the glucose this week!.

I've been on TRT since March, as a result of the bloods to check my testosterone levels.

I'd hate to have to come off the TRT now that I've started to really feel its benefits.

As a prescription the TRT isn't a PED because it only brings my testo level back into the 'normal' parameters.

As its half life is only 24 hours I'll leave my daily T-gel until after tomorrow's blood test.. Thanks for that heads up.

I can honestly say, if I were a betting man, I'd bet my bike your not diabetic if the test was within 2 hours of the cycle or eating. Not impossible but, cycle in can raise sugar levels with glycogen breakdown, decent high energy slow release breakfast would keep them up a bit and if either were within an hour or two of the bloods taken, there is the more likely answer.

I'd say it was a little outside of that time scale when the bloods were taken tbh.

Since I cycle & train a lot I'm wondering if that will screw up the HBC1a test?. I'm only wondering because if the training pushes up sugar levels then I'd imagine mine would be all over the place compared to someone with a sedentary lifestyle.

Anyway, I'm fasting now for a repeat of the original test plus the hbc1a.

Here's hoping, and thanks for the answers.

I'd say it was a little outside of that time scale when the bloods were taken tbh.

Since I cycle & train a lot I'm wondering if that will screw up the HBC1a test?. I'm only wondering because if the training pushes up sugar levels then I'd imagine mine would be all over the place compared to someone with a sedentary lifestyle.

Anyway, I'm fasting now for a repeat of the original test plus the hbc1a.

Here's hoping, and thanks for the answers.

Training won't screw up your HbA1c as it is an average. I was thinking of your blood glucose test, and that varies from person to person. So even if it was 3 or 4 hours, that could just be you. I know people whose glucose never goes above 9mmol/L after a bottle of lucozade and other were to will be over 15. Alas text books never explain that people are different.

Your HbA1c will be a good indicator, fasting for a HbA1c will make no difference though (sorry).

If you have any friends who are diabetics, you could do a glucose tolerance test (using their monitor). Google it rather than me typing it out. Simple enough and also a good indicator.

Training won't screw up your HbA1c as it is an average. I was thinking of your blood glucose test, and that varies from person to person. So even if it was 3 or 4 hours, that could just be you. I know people whose glucose never goes above 9mmol/L after a bottle of lucozade and other were to will be over 15. Alas text books never explain that people are different.

Your HbA1c will be a good indicator, fasting for a HbA1c will make no difference though (sorry).

If you have any friends who are diabetics, you could do a glucose tolerance test (using their monitor). Google it rather than me typing it out. Simple enough and also a good indicator.

Cheers, you've been very helpful.

I've mentioned the results from the last visit to some mates in work with diabetes and like you they're fairly confident I'll be grand.

Might sound like I'm ready to fall on my own sword if I get a positive diagnoses of diabetes, I won't really but I'd rather educate myself so I know what the doctor is telling me.

Tbh the first search I done was 'competing Judo with diabetes' lol. Once that was ok I was fine.

I'm fasting now so I'm best putting it to the back of my mind.

Off topic rant, since I turned 50 (I'm 51 now) I seem to be getting hit with injuries and medical issues almost month now. My mind and body feel half my age but it seems the inner workings are trying to tell me something :mad:

Thanks again.

That's interesting, and I don't take it as an accusation as I wasn't on PED's or TRT (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) at the time of the test. The test was actually back in March and the surgery has only got back to me about the glucose this week!.

I've been on TRT since March, as a result of the bloods to check my testosterone levels.

I'd hate to have to come off the TRT now that I've started to really feel its benefits.

As a prescription the TRT isn't a PED because it only brings my testo level back into the 'normal' parameters.

As its half life is only 24 hours I'll leave my daily T-gel until after tomorrow's blood test.. Thanks for that heads up.
    That's actually more interesting!

There have been some studies on testosterone and blood glucose. Many of the studies are somewhat inconclusive but this is because the majority of the studies are more focused on obesity and its effect on testosterone. The problem with that is that obesity can cause many other problems with insulin sensitivity.

So the studies looked at testosterone therapy to help improve insulin sensitivity, but were inconclusive. I reckon that's down to the other issues causing insulin resistance that even TRT can't overcome. So there are a lot of people even doing studies last year, with the hypothesis that low testosterone affects insulin sensitivity.
    If they could do a study on people of normal weight, it might be more valuable. The problem is that all the money is in T2D and obesity.

On the other hand, one study looked at Deca and its effect on blood glucose uptake, and that showed an improved uptake of blood glucose into the muscles hence reducing blood glucose.

So now that you're on TRT, it could possibly help. However, I still think that you're glucose test was down to it being post-meal, rather than anything to do with your testosterone levels.

TRT is something that has always intrigued me for when I get older or should my T production reduce earlier than expected. Did you just go to your GP, or is it done through a specialist and cost loads of money?

TRT is something that has always intrigued me for when I get older or should my T production reduce earlier than expected. Did you just go to your GP, or is it done through a specialist and cost loads of money?

GP done it for me.

It was suppose to be a simple blood test which ended up with me getting checked for diabetes :o

Considering another doctor told me in December that my glucose was fine (as part of an annual medical and fasting) I'll be majorly pissed off if this mornings tests are positive for diabetes.

GP done it for me.

It was suppose to be a simple blood test which ended up with me getting checked for diabetes :o

Considering another doctor told me in December that my glucose was fine (as part of an annual medical and fasting) I'll be majorly pissed off if this mornings tests are positive for diabetes.
    I suppose you should be glad there wasn't a prostate exam too!

When will you get the results?

I suppose you should be glad there wasn't a prostate exam too!

When will you get the results?

The prostate is just a PSA blood test now, and besides a finger up the ringer ain't the worse thing in the world either :o

I should have the results tomorrow. I was told I could ring up about them this afternoon but I want to be sure they're in the surgery so I'm giving it another day.

Sure 'tis in the lap of the God's now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭banie01

According to an Endo I know, there is a growing cohort of type 2/Type 1.5 cases developing amongst the male 30-50 age group that he is suspicious may be related to P.E.D usage in the presenting patients teens and 20's.
    It came up in a conversation regarding otherwise fit and healthy folks that he would consider to be atypical for type 2 cases.
    It seems that he is developing the opinion that spike in the amount of P.E.Ds in use in mid 90s through to the mid Noughties is being borne out in the increase in patients who would not normally present as diabetic.
    He is adamant that he is seeing a growth in Diabetes and other hormone related disorders in a particular cohort of otherwise fit healthy and recently retired sports people(From playing, not retirees).
    He has been talking about running a study on it, but is on the fence as he doesnt know if he will gain enough cooperation from the relatively small pool of patients to confirm if the actual data bears out his theory.

• Advertisement

Ok just back from the Doc's.

The HBC1A test isn't back yet, but the fasted glucose was 7.1 (down from the 8.0 unfasted).

Very long story short (because I had a list of prepared questions and grilled the poor doc).

He said I was pre diabetic and that I could control this with diet and exercise, both of which are pretty spot on for me already. But I'm my diet is a little out of balance, ie I need to add more green veg (for example).

He said the choice as to whether to go on a low dose Metformin was mine, but he said that at my age and the fact that my glucose was starting to go in the wrong direction & that my father is diabetic that he'd recommend I start (initially for one month, then repeat the bloods) immediately.

Most of the time was spent with him reassuring me that I'm fine and not to be stressing, I'm the heavy weight champion of over thinkers lol.

That's about it. I collected my meds and start tomorrow, although I'm tempted to try get things under control naturally but he's the professional so I'll do as I'm told.

Finally, I'm a little pissed off at another doctor. I've always been around 5 (I have an annual medical), but I was wondering how I went from normal to this inside a few months so he checked my annual from December and I was 6.9 (a different doc read the results). I specifically asked in Dec how my glucose was and that doc said I was fine, should he not have advised me that my glucose was starting to go in the wrong direction?.

Finally, any advice from you guys will be greatly appreciated, ie foods I should be eating, or not eating. And any adverse experiences with Metformin?.

Thanks for listening/reading my worried posts the last few days, you've all been really helpful and I do appreciate you giving me your time.

Advertisement