Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    It does at the best of times. The sugars have come down again somewhat anyhow, their not at the very scary high levels they were.

I know Im a little insulin resistant so I picked up a glucose monitor recently, I have a fasted level of about 5.9 , and tested it a few weeks back after going for a 2 hr walk first thing in the morning and it came in at 4.3 or .7 , which as a % is quite a drop. I was just curious would you get a similar proportional drop or would it just drop by a couple of points?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

robinph wrote: »
    I've got a year to go on my Animas now I think, but wasn't given any indication of what I'd be changed to when that warranty runs out. I had been given a choice between an Animas and a Medtronic back in the day, but as far as I know my NHS area doesn't currently supply anything other than Medtronic.

I'm hoping that they do get a choice of models in before I'm due. It's good to feel that we get a say in these things, and it's also good that Medtronic don't end up with a monopoly on the insulin pump market.
    All those on pumps with my Endo were on the Animas Vibe and we are being brought together again later this year to introduce us to the Medtronic.

I'll be last to be changed over as my pump dropped last year and broke so I'll be one of the last on the Vibe in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Has anyone any experience wearing a vacoped boot long term. Wonder how you copped in rain or bad weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Has anyone any experience wearing a vacoped boot long term. Wonder how you copped in rain or bad weather

I had to wear one a few years ago when I had an ulcer. Mind you, it was completely my own fault and I've had to cop on a lot with my feet since then.

Where possible I tried to stay off my feet where possible. Shoe off foot on pillow in office. I used the boot outside obviously but not really in bad weather. Your feet cannot stay wet when you have diabetes.

Offloading where possibe is better. Otherwise you must wear it, even when going to the toilet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Went through 9 months of ulcers bought better footwear and limited my activities and they healed and are gone this is Charcot arthropathy now though so can't really do less that what I'm already doing and any and all activities seem bad I'm coping well enough with the boot though not going to let this keep me down very uncomfortable though.

• Advertisement

So I was back in Newcastle on Wednesday regarding the eye mask. Had an eye scan, no changes since the last time I was there.

This time I took 6 months supply, £500.

See how it goes.

Mind you, I am not saying that is due to the mask. But I want to give it more time.

Gel insoles in Aldi for €2.99.

Fantastic for my feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Got my hba1c down to 48 I'm delighted with that. It is a massive improvement from my first visit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

hi folks,

has anyone tried to order a Libre sensor through their local Pharmacy lately??

Been reading Pharmacy's in the UK are selling them over the counter, in the case of Superdrug they are cheaper than ordering direct.

I have rang my local and they are going to call me back, she remembers a email recently and needs to look into it.

edit to above. you can indeed now purchase the libre sensor in many pharmacys, and most are selling at cost it would appear (€55).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭uli84

What cream for feet are you (guys with long term diabetes) using? There used to be a very good one available via contour stripes loyalty programme but I cannot remember the name :( and the loyalty thing is gone too so can’t check
    Thanks

Guys i have a question-Has anyone received GP VISIT CARD being above threshold on the basis of being diabetic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

uli84 wrote: »
    What cream for feet are you (guys with long term diabetes) using? There used to be a very good one available via contour stripes loyalty programme but I cannot remember the name :( and the loyalty thing is gone too so can’t check
    Thanks

I went to all sorts of expense getting all the recommended moisturizers which were recommended to me (my feet were terribly dry and cracked), and honest I found the best and by far the very cheapest were the tubs in Pounds World.

I was back with my Podiatrist on Monday and he commented that its the first time he hasn't had to remove any dead or hard skin.

But I'm religious at checking and moisturizing my feet morning and evening.

I'm particularly hard on my feet between wearing army boots all day (I'm a soldier), running 5k most days and training Judo on rough mats in my bare feet and this cheap stuff is working just as well (if not better, because its so cheap I'm not afraid to really slap it on) if not better than creams many times more expensive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm particularly hard on my feet between wearing army boots all day (I'm a soldier), running 5k most days and training Judo on rough mats in my bare feet and this cheap stuff is working just as well (if not better, because its so cheap I'm not afraid to really slap it on) if not better than creams many times more expensive.

Do you mind me asking where you diagnosed before you became a soldier or after. I went for it years ago and passed everything I needed to but on one of the forms I was in two minds about putting down the Diabetes. Figured I would never be able to hide it so wrote it down and then all of a sudden I failed my medical but no explanation given (even though upto this I appeared to be ahead of the curve). Years later I was told by a person I knew in the army I wouldn't be allowed even if I had been diagnosed after as I wouldn't be OK for sending abroad.

Any of that true or was I just fed BS? You can just ignore my question if it is too personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gok

What Pumps are allowed under the LTI scheme?
    - I'm particularly interested in the Omnipod (which is available in the UK) as its tubeless and works well for more active people.
    Anyone know how to get an Omnipod funded here? Their newer pump, the Omnipod Dash has received FDA clearance in the US though I know things move a bit slower here...was kind of hoping with the Animas pumps no longer being supported, the HSE might add support for newer models.

I went to all sorts of expense getting all the recommended moisturizers which were recommended to me (my feet were terribly dry and cracked), and honest I found the best and by far the very cheapest were the tubs in Pounds World.

Ooh what are they called? Will i get it in Newry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

went on a low calorie 5 day fat fast this week essentially ~800 calories based mainly on eating 2 avocados for the day, its meant to be a bi-monthly thing, i normally have a fasted blood sugar in the morning of 5.9 but never had a lower reading unless i'd gone out for a long walk first. Checked this morning and it was 5.6 . i'd be interested if after doing a few of these would it create a longer lasting effect.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

uli84 wrote: »
    Ooh what are they called? Will i get it in Newry?

Here's a photo;

459412.jpg

It costs me €1:50 in Pounds World, and I'm almost positive I've bought it in Dealz too.

Like I said, I find it great and comparable with similar products many times its price. Better in so far as its so cheap I just slobber on the stuff morning and evening.

One thing I've found with Diabetes and off the shelf products is there's a massive industry making a mint off us. This makes foot care very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Moyglish

I had a full set of bloods taken during the summer and my Random Glucose came back at 5.8 mmol/L the guide for lower and upper levels states 3.90 - 7.8 so I appear to be within the "normal range" and my doctor said it was fine.

However looking online a lot of people say that 5.8 would actually indicate prediabetes?

I would have been fasting overnight when the blood tests were taking.

I don't have my HbA1c to hand, but I believe it was around 38 or so.

Is a level of 5.8 mmol/L fasting high for the Random Glucose test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Moyglish wrote: »
    I had a full set of bloods taken during the summer and my Random Glucose came back at 5.8 mmol/L the guide for lower and upper levels states 3.90 - 7.8 so I appear to be within the "normal range" and my doctor said it was fine.

However looking online a lot of people say that 5.8 would actually indicate prediabetes?

I would have been fasting overnight when the blood tests were taking.

I don't have my HbA1c to hand, but I believe it was around 38 or so.

Is a level of 5.8 mmol/L fasting high for the Random Glucose test?

If your HbA1c was 38, put any worry about diabetes or pre-diabetes out of your mind.

As for the 5.8, it could be any number of factors that cause it but most likely your body's normal circadian rhythm releasing glucose from your liver at its "usual" time and it's not a concerning level.
    My advice would be to discuss your concerns with your GP.
    Write up a list of questions/concerns and have him lead you through them.

Fasting glucose is used as an indicator, HbA1c would be a much more reliable diagnostic test and you are nowhere near a diabetic range.

• Advertisement

Moyglish wrote: »

Alot of people online (and I realise the irony of my statement) don't know jack sh1t. Everyone is different, and staggeringly so, hence why there is a fairly wide range.

You may have been fasting but you could also have been stressed or agitated, leading to a slight increase, some people run higher at certain times of the day due to hormone levels and so on. 5.8 is pretty much bang in the middle of the ranges given.

As said above, you HbA1c is pretty damn perfect (if your remembering the number right), there is nothing in your post that indicates diabetes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Hi all, I'm at home with a vomiting bug, I went straight to the gp this morning and got semitill to help to stop the vomiting, but the keatones are on the rise and sugars are creeping up despite a few units of novorapid. Anyone any advice what to do? Havnt been sick for about 90 minutes now. I rang my team but got the voicemail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm at home with a vomiting bug, I went straight to the gp this morning and got semitill to help to stop the vomiting, but the keatones are on the rise and sugars are creeping up despite a few units of novorapid. Anyone any advice what to do? Havnt been sick for about 90 minutes now. I rang my team but got the voicemail.

Had the bug myself over the weekend.

Couldn't eat, but kept an eye on the sugars. Luckily I didn't need to use any insulin other than my Tresiba, they stayed steady enough. Didn't check the ketones though (of course I never even thought to)

How long did it last Gerry?

Check with your team but mine always said not to increase insulin, depends on the illness but anything i have had my bloods run higher regardless. Keep an eye on the ketones, I get them as well when sick but never to a dangerous level.

What do you guys use to measure ketones? I've never measured ketones or had anything to measure them with that I can remember anyway.

What do you guys use to measure ketones? I've never measured ketones or had anything to measure them with that I can remember anyway.

You can do it with a fingerprick test now, I think alot of glucometers act as a ketone tester as well (though not the contour ones) AFAIK

CramCycle wrote: »
    You can do it with a fingerprick test now, I think alot of glucometers act as a ketone tester as well (though not the contour ones) AFAIK
    Ah grand, herself says I used to check with urine strips but I don't have them on my prescription list anymore. I must ask my doc when I head in next time, might be handy if I was ever sick:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

How long did it last Gerry?

It hit me Saturday night, just as I was cooking up a nice fillet steak for myself & the wife's 5th Anniversary. managed some of it before having to run to the bathroom to get sick.

Between that and the runs, it fairly hit me.

All yesterday, I had runs, but no vomiting. Much better today, still have runs mind!

• Advertisement

Thanks all, I got a member of the team who said to take corrections as normal and if small keatones take 2, medium 4, high 6 units and repeat every 2 hours. It's not easy!

Advertisement