Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to retro insulate ground floor ceiling

• 02-03-2011 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi ,

I am hoping to avail of your knowledge base yet again.

I live in an 80 year old house. I slabbed the external walls with insulated board last year but the joists between ground and 1st floor are empty of insulation. I can't lift the boards to access these now.

My worry is that the heat is just rising up and up.. Can I screw the insulated board to the existing ceiling downstairs ? The ceiling height is about 8.5 feet so there's a spare few inches / room for board.

Would i need some sort of screw mushroom fittings to secure the board up ?? Are there such things as screw mushroom fittings ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

OB!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Is the ceiling plastered already, The reason I ask is I have seen double slab ceilings come away a a few months if slabbed using slab nails. Having said that
    I'm sure some of the plasters will tell you exactly what you can do.
    To answer you question. Yes you can buy Metal Mushroom Washers in most builders providers. You then choose whatever length screws you need which just go through the center of the washer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Not to deviate, but is this regulation in new builds? Most older houses I've lived in seem to have smaller rads upstairs to compensate? just wondering if this is standard now.

I don't think you'd get a great u value using a warmboards on a ceiling. What thickness are you thinking? Plus acoustic not great. Better than nothing, and I'd do it myself if I was starting from scratch but I'd also want to insulate between joists.

Messy job either way, but you know all about that from your walls. I imagine you'd need to screw to joists.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 OB1CAN

Thanks sky and thanks cbyr.

to answer your question sky >>The existing ceilings are plastered..

And cbyr , yes I was thinking that I was going to screw to the joists. So I'm thinking getting some wide plastic washers and some screws about 4 to 5 inches long and drive some 76mm insulated board to the joists via the existing plaster board on the ceiling. Then get someone to give it a skim afterwards.

It's not about getting a better U value but more to create as warmer and more cosy athmosphere on the ground floor.. The exisiting rads up stairs are huge !!!

But we spend most of out time on ground level that I was hoping to make it more comfortable and also reduce the heating bills in these times of ours , that challenge us all both financially and climatically.

Any advice or input would be appreciated.

Regards,

OB1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You can screw insulated plasterboard over your board and into the joists.
    Mushroom fixings are for drilling and hammer fixing boards to block walls - not for timber joists.
    If you decide to do this don't scrimp on screws - put plenty along each joist and an extra couple where the boards meet each other.

Advertisement