Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things we forget . . .

Options
  • 02-03-2011 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi, so I've been veggie for a few years, I found it hard when I went to college to stick to the veggie diet on nights out for the first year or so:o. . but here I am again, and have been veggie for a good number of months now, adjusting quite well again! :)

I've been wondering though, is there any common household products I may be using which may not be animal friendly?

I know a lot of beers may contain animal products
    http://beeradvocate.com/articles/279

Is white sugar not suitable for Veggies?

Make-up - contains animal products?? what do I need to look out for?

Cleaning supplies as well? Anything I may be missing?

And sorry if there is already a thread about this :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

hi,

http://www.barnivore.com/ is a good resource for all things alcohol

Sugar is more than likely fine in Ireland, it was discussed here recently

Cosmetics and make-up etc. can often be hard to find reliable info on, here are a couple of threads discussing it
    link 1 link 2
    also, see the little book of cruelty free which was updated last month

we had a thread about household products last year which has lots of useful info. I'd recommend Lilly's Eco Clean range, it's actually really good plus it's made in Ireland and can be found in health food stores, SuperValu and Superquinn.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Great post above :)

The main one about the make-up is that most nail varnish contains shellac. Barry M nail varnish (available in some big Boots) is ok though :) And the rest of their make-up is veggie friendly too. All info in link.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

The first post really says it all there :)

I get what you mean about college, although I'm okay on food my main problem is cleaning products etc. I can only affprd the cheapest of the cheap and feel so guilty if I use something that I know is not completely animal friendly :o

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

You can do the vast majority of household cleaning with a half and half mix of clear vinegar and water, with a little dash of lemon juice thrown in. Make sure you rinse properly though!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭da_shivsta

it was pretty hard before, and i ended up giving up for ages but am living with really supportive housemates this year, and plan to move in with my veggie friend in september as well which should make things easier! we can share dinners at least. it's just hard with things like shampoo that just don't say about animal testing etc! i feel awful guilty when i make mistakes
    i also find it strange and a little scary that so many "chicken flavoured" things (noodles etc) are vegetarian!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement