Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving Landlord 1 months notice

Options
  • 02-03-2011 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

Can I break my contract (1 year lease which expires at the end of August this year) if I give my landlord written warning of it. So, if I write a letter to my LL now saying that we intend to break our lease come the end of April is that legit? And can the LL keep the deposit?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

no you cant but he can. so give him a reason to throw u out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

paky wrote: »

What sort of reason could we give him? That we're not going to pay next months rent until the end of the month (instead of at the start of the month like we usually do?)

MuddyDog wrote: »
    What sort of reason could we give him? That we're not going to pay next months rent until the end of the month (instead of at the start of the month like we usually do?)

i was evicted a couple of times before. most of them were for fighting with other tenants. that normally works ;) i was surprised i got my deposit back but seems like your legally entitled to it once they break it on their behalf. did u guys rent the house together as friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Can I break my contract (1 year lease which expires at the end of August this year) if I give my landlord written warning of it. So, if I write a letter to my LL now saying that we intend to break our lease come the end of April is that legit? And can the LL keep the deposit?

Read your lease. If there's a break clause, then yes you can. If there isn't then no you can't. If you leave you can be chased through the PRTB for the remaining months rent.

You could try to get someone to take over the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Read your lease. If there's a break clause, then yes you can. If there isn't then no you can't. If you leave you can be chased through the PRTB for the remaining months rent.

What if you lose your source of income and you can't pay the rent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

paky wrote: »
    constructive posts only please.

You have agreed to rent the place until August, that you pay monthly is merely a matter of convenience. If you want to leave now, you could be liable for the rent until August, although the landlord would be required to minimise his losses.

That said, you could assign the lease to someone else (subject to them being an acceptable tenant). If the landlord refuses, you are free to go.

Finally, you could talk to your landlord and explain the situation. It may suit them.

that sounds like frustration to me

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

Victor wrote: »
    constructive posts only please.

You have agreed to rent the place until August, that you pay monthly is merely a matter of convenience. If you want to leave now, you could be liable for the rent until August, although the landlord would be required to minimise his losses.

That said, you could assign the lease to someone else (subject to them being an acceptable tenant). If the landlord refuses, you are free to go.

Finally, you could talk to your landlord and explain the situation. It may suit them.

Yeah, you are liable for rent until August if you leave before the end of your lease. Try talking to your landlord and he/she might come to some argreement to let you leave.
    Otherwise, if you find a new tenant willing to take over your lease, the landlord has to return your deposit and let you leave, whether he/she accepts the new tenant or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

It dosen't matter, legally you are still liable for the rent, its a tough world. The majority of landlords I'm sure though would be compasionate and come to some arrangement to release you from the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

By the time the PTRB get round to acting, the lease will have expired anyways.. been there, done that re an illegal eviction notice. ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement