Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT in australia

Options
  • 02-03-2011 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭

hi

im over 30 so cant get the working holiday visa. i have a bsc, 10 yrs experience and many industry certs. is there lots of IT work in oz or is it all construction work and accounting. my experience is in vmware, microsoft solutions, sys admin etc

thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You should try Dell, plenty of Irish working there so you should get an interview, http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/careers/jobsearch/default?c=au&l=en&s=corp#top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

thanks. any one know if its fairly easy to get a skilled migrant visa with IT skills?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Mate please read the FAQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

mickman wrote: »
    hi

im over 30 so cant get the working holiday visa. i have a bsc, 10 yrs experience and many industry certs. is there lots of IT work in oz or is it all construction work and accounting. my experience is in vmware, microsoft solutions, sys admin etc

thanks for any help

what area of IT do you work in? there is plenty of IT roles in Sydney at the moment, check out www

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

I work in IT here now for over 2 yrs. There is plenty of work but only if you got a proper visa. Found it tough at the start on a WHV, could get contract stuff but that all important job which leads to a 457 took almost a yr to find.

I thought you could still get a visa as long as you havent turned 31 but as posted check out the FAQ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padrepio

Your skill set would certainly be hugely in demand in Sydney based on my experiences here but the visa is the issue. If the WHV isnt an option then I guess the skilled migrant is the only one.

Maybe try Microsoft or VMware in Ireland to see if they would take you on with a view to transferring. A lot of global IT companies have decent bases in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

padrepio wrote: »
    Your skill set would certainly be hugely in demand in Sydney based on my experiences here but the visa is the issue. If the WHV isnt an option then I guess the skilled migrant is the only one.

Maybe try Microsoft or VMware in Ireland to see if they would take you on with a view to transferring. A lot of global IT companies have decent bases in Ireland

thanks for the reply. do you not recommend going via the skilled migrant visa route? i am in no rush to head over so i dont mind it taking time. is it very difficult to get one even though my skills are in demand over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padrepio

mickman wrote: »
    thanks for the reply. do you not recommend going via the skilled migrant visa route? i am in no rush to head over so i dont mind it taking time. is it very difficult to get one even though my skills are in demand over there?

No the skilled migrant route is the best visa route. But whether your skills will be in demand by the time your visa comes through is another thing. Might be worth getting some Cisco qualifications in the meantime. The national broadband network will require a lot of qualified personnel. In terms of virtualisation - the big public sector orgs are starting to virtualise their DCs at present and promote state wide AD/email environments. In NSW, there is a plan for a Whole of Government DC (dependent on this months state election perhaps) which will involve more virtualisation of infrastructure etc so I can see the IT industry here booming really as long as Oz does. To be honest if you were here right now I could probably get you a job. Check out Dimension Data who have a big AD/MS solutions capability here.

To be honest Im not up to speed on the skilled migrant visa. The majority of people I know here have gone through the WHV - 457 - PR route. Apologies but there are other threads here that should help you. There is a feeling here that there will be some changes in the visa regulations in the near future to make things easier for skilled migrants too.

Advertisement