Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Airline for travelling with Kids

Options
  • 02-03-2011 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭

Planning a trip to Brisbane with 3 small kids, just wondering if anyone has experience travelling with babies/kids?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Singapore Airlines are great, always have had a positive experience with them. I have heard that Malaysian are great with kids too.
    All airlines have different weight requirements for their baby baskets so you should look into that if your baby is older. I have found that most airlines tend to forget to feed toddlers that don't have a seat, even if a meal is ordered. So always bring extra food.
    I am in Perth and I love how they move you to the start of the queue in immigration just because you have children. Always makes me feel so glad to be home.
    Other than that I have found that children can amaze you with how well behaved they can be on a plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

ellaq wrote: »
    Other than that I have found that children can amaze you with how well behaved they can be on a plane.

Really? What's your secret:D? 'cause that's the one thing I'm dreading about the flight. I have a two year old that gets bored in the car seat after 20mins

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Poly wrote: »
    Planning a trip to Brisbane with 3 small kids, just wondering if anyone has experience travelling with babies/kids?
    From my experience you can get some stuff my wife got for our 3 year old that is quite safe to give them that will clam them down and even make them sleep for a few hours. It's the 12 hour part that's the killer.

One tip is to make sure that your child buggy isn't checked as luggage into the hold. You can bring it to the door of the plane and will be at your next airport when you get off there.

Also if you have a seat booked for any of the kids you can bring an approved car seat with you as well which is handy some times. You will need to check with the airline. However car seat can’t be used on small planes from Dublin to London but bring it to the plane door and they will give it to you in London so it can be used on 747 or A380

My wife flew Singapore and said they couldn’t do enough for her .

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭dmaxontour

I would add, bring crayons, fuzzy felt etc and separate them out. Also, don't forget you'll have good cartoons and kids films on the flight.
    If the price is worth it, I'd recommend Etihad, if only because they fly from Dublin. Bypassing heathrow is a big plus ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

dmaxontour wrote: »
    I would add, bring crayons, fuzzy felt etc and separate them out. Also, don't forget you'll have good cartoons and kids films on the flight.
    If the price is worth it, I'd recommend Etihad, if only because they fly from Dublin. Bypassing heathrow is a big plus ;-)

You can also fly Qantas via Frankfurt which I've done before (Dub - Frankfurt, Frankfurt - Singapore, Singapore - Sydney). I agree avoiding Heathrow is a good idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

watna wrote: »
    I agree avoiding Heathrow is a good idea!

Avoiding Heathrow is a good idea alright. I reckon Singapore Airlines also, probably the best airline I have flown anywhere with. Very comfortable.

You can use Singapore Airlines route via Amsterdam > Singapore > Sydney, completely avoiding Heathrow. There is also no terminal change at Amsterdam, only about a 15 minute walk.

Only difference is that they use Boeing 777s on this route. Not a big deal to me, but I know people who specifically go through Heathrow because they will be flying on a 747 or the A380.

I would definitely go with SA if I had kids, without a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Don't go with Lufthansa or similar- we thought we would save a few bob last time and regretted it terribly. Singapore and Royal Thai are great. Quantas less so but acceptable if you get a good deal. Ethiad have quality service BUT the flight from Abu Dhabi to Sydney is over 17hours which might be a bit much for you and your family.

Before we made the trip the last time a friend gave us a package for our kids that was full of little toys, games, sweets etc all individually wrapped in wrapping paper. It was a godsend- we gave the stuff to them one by one as they got bored/restless. the stuff doesn't have to be expensive, just new. Wrapping it up meant that they didn't dump it all out first thing and get bored with it.

I would also advise you to bring extra food with you- be aware that if you have an under two year old who is travelling on a lap/in a bassinet they will not be provided with a meal, only a jar of puree baby food, which my kids turned their nose up at. You may be able to cadge extra bread rolls/snacks for them but it really helps to have a supply with you. Also bring a basic set of medications- parecetemol, rescue remedy, decongestant. Our son was unwell on one occasion and the airline are not allowed to give you anything, even basic pain relief. And a spare set of clothes for the kids and yourself. On this same occasion my son vomited all over me and I had to walk off the plane dressed in stolen airline blankets!!

For older kids trunki cases are great- something to play with in the airport and to keep all their stuff in. http://www.trunki.com/

Enjoy your trip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 freewheeling

Singapore Airlines or Malaysian - definitely.
    I'd fly BA or Qantas (and I'm Australian!) as a last resort with toddlers - nowhere near as helpful as Singapore or Malaysia. AirFrance is quite good though. Emirates and Ethiad are excellent but it does add an extra leg to the journey.

If going via Singapore, there's a play area for kids with little slides and things - really great to let off energy ad get them tired for the next leg.

Take lots of goodies for the kids (simple things like post-it stickers, crayons, and those little boxes of tiny books they can play with). And ration all play items so you bring out something new to play with just as the man in front is about to turn around and punch you (or your kids).

The Airbus 380 is excellent. Try to get upstairs where you can have 2 seats by themselves - there are also extra glove box compartments for all your toys and food.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kalihar

I've recently done a round trip to Oz on my own with two small kids (must have been insane!)

We flew to Heathrow- to echo what some else said avoid Heathrow. You have to walk for miles, loads of security checks and very little time.

On the short trip we flew with BMI. I found them to be very helpful and friendly.

For the long haul (x2) it was Malaysia Airlines. They were fine but I don't think I'd recommend them as being excellent for children. I thought BMI were better. I've no complaints about them but nothing made them stand out either. They definitely make a fuss over the babies but mine are a little older (2 and 5).

For the flight I'd recommend preparing your children in the weeks leading up - eg no running around in the plane, you have to stay in your seats, no running off on mammy etc. Drill it in. Mine did not like the food so pack alternatives just in case. I thought the food was lovely.

Try to book a flight that would coincide with their normal bedtime. Change them into pjs to get them in the mindset of sleeping. Mine slept for most of the long flights.

This has turned into quite an essay! I hope some of it was useful. I found the experience went very smoothly bar heathrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I recommend Singapore as well. They pride themselves on their cabin service, and if you need a second pair of hands managing your child they are always there for you.

If your child is under two you don't have to buy a seat, but if you can afford it I do recommend it. When we were travelling with an infant we bought her a seat and strapped her (familiar) car seat into it, in which she was used to sleeping. Twelve hours is a long time to have your infant in your lap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

Hi, just noticed this thread from a while back. We are planning a trip to Australia next year and by these reviews(and from elsewhere) Singapore seem to be the favoured airline.

By that time though our son will be 20 months and the too big for the cots provided. Has anyone had any experience of the larger infant seats BA and KLM(i think) provide?

We would however like a few days in Dubai/Abu Dhabi on our way back. Etihad will prob work out cheaper and the direct link is handy but would be willing to pay extra if Emirates were to be a better overall, anyone any experience of Emirates via Manchester??

Greatfull for any info, thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

mgray wrote: »
    Hi, just noticed this thread from a while back. We are planning a trip to Australia next year and by these reviews(and from elsewhere) Singapore seem to be the favoured airline.

By that time though our son will be 20 months and the too big for the cots provided. Has anyone had any experience of the larger infant seats BA and KLM(i think) provide?

We would however like a few days in Dubai/Abu Dhabi on our way back. Etihad will prob work out cheaper and the direct link is handy but would be willing to pay extra if Emirates were to be a better overall, anyone any experience of Emirates via Manchester??

Greatfull for any info, thanks...

Used Singapore when myself wife n little girl of 2yr went to Oz last . Found them always to be very helpful plus we could bring our own car seat in the A380 between London - Singapore - Melbourne. Which also meant we had a car seat the other side without having to buy one . Came in very handy to keep her in one spot and give us a bit of break .

We checked and we told that booster seats weren't aloud .

Your right about the break inbetween flights . The 12 hr flight from London - Singapore was very hard on her being only 2 and not wanting to sit for long .

If you fly Dubai/Abu Dhabi the longest part would only be 8 hrs i think so a good plan .

Advertisement