Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not too busy pubs in Dublin City Centre

Options
  • 02-03-2011 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Can anyone name some not so busy pubs in Dublin City Centre that still have a bit of atmosphere? I'm heading there with my friends the weekend after next but don't want to end up in one of those places where you're packed in like sardines! Or is everywhere in the city centre thronged on a saturday night?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Always recommend The Church at the end of Henry Street. Really nice place, always get enough of a buzz to be fun but not enough to be packed :D

(and i met my gf there :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

RedXIV wrote: »
    Always recommend The Church at the end of Henry Street. Really nice place, always get enough of a buzz to be fun but not enough to be packed :D

(and i met my gf there :D)

Cool thanks RedXIV - perhaps i'll meet the man of my dreams there! haha!

What kind of music do they play there?

Well on the main floor as you walk in its very casual, music isn't too loud but contemporary. However in the night club underneath it, its loud pop music and requests.

The DJ on sat nights isn't too bad either for requests if you can catch him :)

Well on the main floor as you walk in its very casual, music isn't too loud but contemporary. However in the night club underneath it, its loud pop music and requests.

The DJ on sat nights isn't too bad either for requests if you can catch him :)

Just looked there and they have a website - looks like my kind of place! Is the food good there? Menu looks nice. Or is there anywhere nearby that would be nice for a bite (italian, indian, mexican)? Don't want to be walking all over the city centre as i don't know it too well. Hopefully the girls will be the same! Don't even know where we're staying yet!

Thanks for all the info and sorry for all the questions!

leahyl wrote: »
    Just looked there and they have a website - looks like my kind of place! Is the food good there? Menu looks nice. Or is there anywhere nearby that would be nice for a bite (italian, indian, mexican)? Don't want to be walking all over the city centre as i don't know it too well. Hopefully the girls will be the same! Don't even know where we're staying yet!

Well you're smack in the city center there so depending on how far you're willing to walk (which probably depends on the size of your heels :) ) you can get most kinds of food within a 200 meter radius. Usually when I go its with the guys and we'd go up towards Parnell street to the Woolshed for platters of finger food and other such food. (also is a fantastic bar but a bit more active than the Church)

Off the top of my head I can't remember the names of sit down and eat restaurants around the area, but there is plenty of food available and the food in the Church is quite good although a tad pricey.

If you decide on a hotel, I'll be able to give better advice :)

• Advertisement

Well you're smack in the city center there so depending on how far you're willing to walk (which probably depends on the size of your heels :) ) you can get most kinds of food within a 200 meter radius. Usually when I go its with the guys and we'd go up towards Parnell street to the Woolshed for platters of finger food and other such food. (also is a fantastic bar but a bit more active than the Church)

Off the top of my head I can't remember the names of sit down and eat restaurants around the area, but there is plenty of food available and the food in the Church is quite good although a tad pricey.

If you decide on a hotel, I'll be able to give better advice :)

Thanks a million for all your advice :) not sure where we're staying - i think the other girls might be taking care of that but hopefully somewhere central. One or two of the group lived in Dublin for a little while I think so they might have different ideas but the church place sounds like a good spot.

Will keep you posted :)

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There's a Mexican place just off the Jervis St Luas Stop called Cactus Jacks.

Ok so my friends tell me that we are staying on Harcourt Street which is right near Coppers ( I know ALL about Coppers - it's the one place in Dublin i DO know about!) and i so don't want to go there after all the stories i've heard about it but my friend is on facebook at the mo and she's talking about going there (don't know whether she's pulling my leg or what!). Also Harcourt Street is miles away from Henry Street so doubt we'll be going to The Church...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Nice 'quiet pubs' near Harcourt St. :

The Long Hall
    Against The Grain (also does great food)

Nice 'slightly louder pubs with younger crowd' near Harcourt St.

The Bernard Shaw (pizza and pint for €10)
    Anseo
    Solas
    Shebeen Chic (also does food, heard it's great)
    Hogans

Decent clubs near Harcourt St.

Crawdaddy (house/electro/hip-hop | free b4 midnight on a Saturday)
    Whelans (indie/pop buzz)
    Ri Ra

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

J. O'Connells on South Richmond Street is my favourite spot in that part of town.
    Also Hartigans at the st stephens green end of Leeson Street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Bloxham Kills

The Helmet End on Kennedy St...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

Messrs McGuire is a nice spot, near o'connell bridge, and while you're in that vicinity, O'Reilly's by Tara Street Station, its a little bit hidden away, but a pretty nice pub to discover.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

leahyl wrote: »

If you're that side of the city, the best Indian has to be Medina. It's really close to The Church link. It doesn't look like much but the food is gorgeous.

Guys, thanks for all your suggestions! I really appreciate it! Unfortunately I think (the majority of) my friends are set on coppers and one of the hotels they mentioned staying in is Jackson Court which, i didn't know till now, owns Coppers! I really have no intention of being packed like a sardine into a place so I said i would give it a miss - it's just not my bag! It never was!

But I will be going to Dublin hopefully in April to see the Sound of Music (sounds boring I know!) so I will keep some of your suggestions re restaurants in mind :)

Thanks a mil!

Advertisement