Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play TV for PS3

Options
  • 02-03-2011 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum on other threads, but they have now become so long and cluttered that it is very difficult to extract the information you want from them.

So my query is that as I understand it if I live in the Republic (Cork) and I buy the Play TV peripheral online for my PS3 all I have to do is plug the aerial from the normal aerial on my roof (that is normally used for receiving analogue signals on my TV) into the Play TV box, then plug the Play TV box into my PS3 USB link, install/update the operating system so that it will decode MPEG4 data and then I'll be able to pick up the test broadcast of Saorview and the full thing in a month or so when it is officially launched.

Is this or is this not correct?

Also anyone know what happens if I plug an aerial coming from a satellite dish into a Play TV box? Does it receive and decode the MPEG2 British Freeview or is that something that we all have to accept is not an option?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I got this Play TV this week from Amazon for under 30euro.

You are correct with the set up, I don't have a roof aerial I have rabbit ears plugged into it and its perfect picture.

I dont think you can plug in a dish but if anyone has done this i would be interested to find out how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Anyone able to give any more information on this?

I currently live in an appartment where I am not allowed to install my own dish so am tied into paying a subscription to Chorus. Would I be able to use this with a rabbits ears aerial and do away with my subscription?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Lister1 wrote: »

I currently live in an appartment where I am not allowed to install my own dish so am tied into paying a subscription to Chorus. Would I be able to use this with a rabbits ears aerial and do away with my subscription?

Have you ever tried a indoor aerial there, what is the reception like for the normal analogue channels.

Would I be able to use this with a rabbits ears aerial and do away with my subscription?

Should work, I have a roof aerial on mine, but my brother lives in an apartment and I think he uses an indoor aerial with his without any problems.

yea but you only get the irish channels rte 1,2 TV3 TG4 E3 and RTE news

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Play TV is useless with a satellite dish. It is for terrestrial television only.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

Has there been any progess on play tv? Are the only channels still available rte 1,2 TV3 TG4 E3 and RTE news

RTÉ One +1 and RTÉ Jr should now also be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Were I am located (Cavan) I can pick up all the UK analogue channels, all with very good reception, apart from 5, how does this effect me, would I be able all them over Play TV - including all the BBC's, ITV's and 4's?

Nailz wrote: »
    Were I am located (Cavan) I can pick up all the UK analogue channels, all with very good reception, apart from 5, how does this effect me, would I be able all them over Play TV - including all the BBC's, ITV's and 4's?

I think so, you just plug your rabbit ears into the Play TV box so unless the digital signal is not available in your area you should get them all.

• Advertisement

Nailz wrote: »

I'd say you would be better off asking what the Freeview reception is like in Cavan on the Terrestrial board. I am sure someone there will be able to give you a definitive answer

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

In Ireland, Play TV can ONLY pick up Irish DTT [Digital Terestial Television] unless you are lucky enough to be in a position to pick up UK DTT or NI DTT.

Irish DTT is called SaorView.

PlayTV will NOT work with Analog TV or Sat TV. Don't even try.

Go to the Saorview website to see the available channels.

Advertisement