Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What cognac should I buy?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I am planning on cooking The Barefoot Contessa's Chicken with 40 cloves of Garlic this weekend.
    http://www.caninesandcuisine.com/2010/06/chicken-with-forty-cloves-of-garlic.html

I will have to buy cognac. What should I buy?

I want to spend as little as possible (so will try get a half bottle).

Although the basic rule of cooking with alcohol is "If you're not prepared to drink it, you shouldn't be cooking with it", there's absolutely no point in buying Hennessy VSOP or the likes just for cooking with.

Any supermarket own-brand will be fine. Aldi do a good mid-market one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Although the basic rule of cooking with alcohol is "If you're not prepared to drink it, you shouldn't be cooking with it", there's absolutely no point in buying Hennessy VSOP or the likes just for cooking with.

Any supermarket own-brand will be fine. Aldi do a good mid-market one.

Thanks for the reply!

I'll use the above rule for the wine that the recipe also calls for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Think I'll be trying that recipe myself, it sounds divine. Alcohol, cream and a ridiculous amount of garlic - what's not to like???!

It looked delicious when she cooked it.......just don't go to kiss anyone after eating it!!!!!

I can also try a Beef Stroganof with any lefover cognac. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

To be honest three tablespoons would probably be less than a pub measure. I would go to the nearest pub and buy a glass of cognac and ask them to put it into a takeway coffee cup. Seems a shame to buy a bottle if you wouldn't use it.

• Advertisement

Miaireland wrote: »
    To be honest three tablespoons would probably be less than a pub measure. I would go to the nearest pub and buy a glass of cognac and ask them to put it into a takeway coffee cup. Seems a shame to buy a bottle if you wouldn't use it.

Or perhaps I could buy a little mini? I don't know if Cognac is sold this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

A lot of off-liences would have minis

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I have a couple of mini bottles rattling around in my bag since the last time I flew BA. This might be a good opportunity to put them to use :)

Bought a mini Hennessy in Dunnes for less then a fiver.

I'll let you know how how it tastes after I make it.

If it is nice I'll invest in a large bottle ;)

I have a couple of mini bottles rattling around in my bag since the last time I flew BA. This might be a good opportunity to put them to use :)

It seems so easy to make - and very tasty! Well worth having ago I think.

• Advertisement

I am planning on cooking The Barefoot Contessa's Chicken with 40 cloves of Garlic this weekend.
    http://www.caninesandcuisine.com/2010/06/chicken-with-forty-cloves-of-garlic.html

).

Cooked this chicken on Friday - absolutely gorgeous! (A little bit similar to a jar of Chicken Tonight tho :( )

Advertisement