Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish mushers abroad

• 02-03-2011 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭

My 15 year old son and I went over to England last weekend to take part in the Wyedean Quest, a sled dog rally. It was a fantastic weekend, I ran in 4 stages, Friday night, Saturday morning, Saturday night and then Sunday morning, 4 miles each stage. Very hard work, but amazing to be out in the middle of a forest in the dark with just the sound of the dogs panting and their paws and the rig's wheels. The dogs were fantastic and I'm very proud of them.

My son won the Junior Quest, they had 2 stages, Saturday and Sunday morning and he and Sky and Indy, the two siberian huskies he ran were brilliant. Not even a pack of pugs running out in front of them on Sunday stopped them:D Again, I am very, very proud of him and the dogs.

Just a few photos of the weekend, taken by Rita Wilson of countryhounds.

Me with 4 dogs on the Saturday morning, all of the dogs except the big grey boy at the back are rescue dogs. Vince, the one eared grey boy at the front is a very special boy, his mum bit his ear off, and part of his nose, and I hand reared him, then he had pneumonia and was very ill. You'd never know it now, he's the happiest dog I've ever met - and he loves the camera.:D

23wnr7a.jpg

2cgc2a9.jpg

muv9jr.jpg

Dan with Sky and Indy, again, Indy is a rescue dog.

23wogpk.jpg

2dr9u9t.jpg

We're running this weekend in the Best for my Dog Irisharod at Lough Key Forest Park, near Boyle, Co. Roscommon at a rally, if anyone wanted to come along and watch, its great fun. The rally starts at 8am:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Stuartp

:D:D Looks Fun I wanna Have A go :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

wow that looks amazing:D

well done to you both, such a cool thing for a mother and son to be doing:)

Vince is one fantastic looking dog too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Well done you! So jealous, now I'm wondering if I could convert my agility dogs to do sledding....... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Fab pics, hope you had a great time Karen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Well done you! So jealous, now I'm wondering if I could convert my agility dogs to do sledding....... :D

Of course you could, at Lough Key this weekend we'll have border collies, labradors, GSDs and other 'non-traditional' sled dogs running:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Something about looking at dogs doing the job they were bred for that gives me chills :)
    4 beautiful looking dogs, well done!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wedgie

Well, why not?

I have a dog that does a bit of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

+1 lrushe
    :)
    It sends a shiver down your spine to see the dogs doing exactly what they love.

I would have actually had a tear in my eye watching that!! Can't explain.

Well done ISDW to you and your son. What a fantastic sport, for you and the dogs!

ISDW wrote: »
    Of course you could, at Lough Key this weekend we'll have border collies, labradors, GSDs and other 'non-traditional' sled dogs running:D

I'm just trying to figure out how I'd work them, I've got 6 dogs who are basically 3 pairs in size...

8 yr old Lab x + 4 yr old GSD x (Large size)

10 yr old Springer x + 13 yr old Border collie x (Medium size)

2 yr old mini JRT + 3 yr old JRT (Small size)

Now they're all really fit cos of the agility (4 compete and 2 are retired) but how would I match them?? Would the old people be fit enough to match the others? Could I run the terriers with the bigger dogs?? Could I run them all together?

Help!!

I'm just trying to figure out how I'd work them, I've got 6 dogs who are basically 3 pairs in size...

8 yr old Lab x + 4 yr old GSD x (Large size)

10 yr old Springer x + 13 yr old Border collie x (Medium size)

2 yr old mini JRT + 3 yr old JRT (Small size)

Now they're all really fit cos of the agility (4 compete and 2 are retired) but how would I match them?? Would the old people be fit enough to match the others? Could I run the terriers with the bigger dogs?? Could I run them all together?

Help!!

I think that you're bang on with your matches!

Although, I'd suggest bikejoring with the JRTs. Basically, they run ahead of the bike (attached via harnesses and a gangline), so in effect, they're not pulling, you're matching their pace with your bike, while ensuring that the gangline stays clear of the front wheel.

I don't suggest that you try to run all six together! I have three dogs, and I run them singularly, or in pairs, I haven't tried all three of them together. Yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

looks brilliant

got quite the shock walking to college in limerick a few weeks ago when a sled with 3 huskies and another type of dog pulling along

id never seen these for real anywhere in the world and i had just been chatting about huskys on here as well

Wedgie wrote: »
    Although, I'd suggest bikejoring with the JRTs.

I'm planning on dusting off the bike this summer anyway, so I'll have to give it a go!

I'm planning on dusting off the bike this summer anyway, so I'll have to give it a go!

Good for you. I try to get out on the bike at least once a week with one of ours.

Wedgie wrote: »
    Good for you. I try to get out on the bike at least once a week with one of ours.

Well we were given a baby seat for the bike for christmas so will pack up baba, some of the dogs and start off easy, check how their endurance is for cycling and then move to running. If I get them all going in the one direction I may never have to sweat again..... :D

Well we were given a baby seat for the bike for christmas so will pack up baba, some of the dogs and start off easy, check how their endurance is for cycling and then move to running. If I get them all going in the one direction I may never have to sweat again..... :D

I do the same, and regularly take our one year old son out for a five mile spin, with one of our dogs running ahead of the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kimmyt1987

ISWD how does one get started with stuff like this? :)
    Amazing to see your dogs do what they love so much!!!
    I have a ten week old husky who needs some obedience
    training and a way to expel all of her energy!

She is getting the last of her injections etc on Wednesday so
    she is gonna be my new gym membership ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

kimmyt1987 wrote: »
    ISWD how does one get started with stuff like this? :)
    Amazing to see your dogs do what they love so much!!!
    I have a ten week old husky who needs some obedience
    training and a way to expel all of her energy!

She is getting the last of her injections etc on Wednesday so
    she is gonna be my new gym membership ;)

I'm afraid patience is going to be the key for a long time yet with you and your pup. The general rule of thumb for any dog is 5 minutes exercise per day for each month of their age. So, when she's ready to go out as 12 weeks, thats only 15 minutes of walking a day. You can wear her out in the garden playing, but be careful not to overexercise her while she's still growing. Sibes can suffer from hip dysplacia, so you need to be careful of their joints.

I'm part of a club, www.tailsandtrails.ie and we have regular meets when we go out mushing, bikejoring, and now that the summer is coming and its going to be too warm to work the dogs, hiking.

I start my pups off by getting them used to an x-back harness when they're around 5/6 months old (although it can be difficult finding a harness that small) and then putting an empty milk bottle behind them on a line, so that they get used to the feel of pulling something. Then I put a bit of water in the bottle, gradually increasing it, so that it gets heavier. I also put stones in the bottle (without the water) so that it makes a noise as they're pulling, so that when they're attached to a scooter or rig, and I have to put my foot down and drag it, they don't get spooked by the noise.

As you only have the one dog, I wouldn't recommend letting her actually start to work until she's a year old. If you have other dogs, they can start working a bit earlier, as they won't be doing much pulling if they're with an experienced team. But, if you come along to some meets, you can meet lots of other sled dog owners (not just huskies, a sled dog is any dog that enjoys pulling) and see how you and her get on.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kimmyt1987

Excellent advice ISDW.

Yep i just have the one, she is enough work at the moment as it is! ;)

Im thinking maybe the sledding would be a little unrealistic with my little madam but maybe dusting off the bike would work.....

Very cool website! ... Will definately look into the idea of getting to some of the meets if there are any in the Dublin area though! :)

Advertisement