Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firewood prices

• 02-03-2011 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Does anyone know what I should be paying for softwood or hardwood felled trees per cubic metre? Not working too much these days and with 4 houses to heat between my own, parents and siblings wouldn't mind having something to keep me busy for the days I am off.
    Or if anyone has a contact with somebody in the forestry business who can point me in the right direction I'd be very appreciative of any help. I'm in the North Kerry/ West Limerick area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

a truck and trailer load of forrestry timber cost 1200 delivered to u in west cork u would have about 500 bags out of that

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

That's all from a truckload? As cheap to buy it by the bag for €2.50 so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

you could try speaking to farmers with overgrown watercourses and the like..mutual benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

a truck and trailer load of forrestry timber cost 1200 delivered to u in west cork u would have about 500 bags out of that

There would be 25 ton in a lorry load and about 40 bags of softwood to the ton. That would leave you with approximately 1000 bags to the lorry load for Eur1200.

reilig wrote: »
    There would be 25 ton in a lorry load and about 40 bags of softwood to the ton. That would leave you with approximately 1000 bags to the lorry load for Eur1200.

That sounds a bit more realistic. Would there be better value from a load of thinnings or clearfells or is it any difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

We have this winter punched near enough so I think you are looking for fuel for next winter. If so wait until May or June and thinnings can be got a fair bit cheaper when nobody wants them.

Thanks. Was just hoping to get something now because will be working full time in the summer. More of a reason to get out of bed on my days off than anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

that softwood would need to be stored under cover for two years before it's fit for a stove. I wonder how many selling this stuff are seasoning it first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Most of the stuff that they sell for firewood is usually wind damaged stuff. It will have been down for a year and shouldn't take too long, once sawn up, to season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pcmike

I am looking for a load, 5 to 6 ton, of ash / beech / oak trees for fuel. I can split and store it myself. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

Got myself 6 ash trees today off a farmer I know. Only have to fell cut and split 6 for him as payment

Advertisement