Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CPU Upgrade - is this possible?

• 02-03-2011 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Have a HP dv6910ea with a 2 GHz Intel Pentium dual core processor T5750.

Is it possible to upgrade to this?: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T8300 2.40GHz 3M/800 SLAYQ

I've been looking here and not making much sense sorry but I have a feeling it may not be possible. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

It's a laptop, strictly speaking you don't upgrade them - you buy a new one.

Laptop CPUs are not like regular desktop CPUs, they don't have sockets that make them hot-swappable with an upgraded CPU you buy off the shelf. Instead of the socket they are soldered under the board. A Core 2 Duo is an LGA 1155 socket - that is it has 1155 pins, so that's 1155 solder balls under the chip joining it to the motherboard. If you know somebody with a reballing setup they could probably lift the chip and install a new chip for about €100 but it's very risky stuff - one mistake and it could fry the new chip or the motherboard and you'll have a HP paperweight.

There are other considerations, but that'd be the big one as to why laptops aren't ideal for upgrading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Actually most modern laptops use socketed CPUs. Meaning that they can be removed and replaced. Not all, but for reasons of customisation at the final assembly point, most laptops do use socketed CPUs.

T5750 is Socket P. I don't think it was available in a surface mounted variant. But the only way to know for sure is to find the specs of your laptop or to physically open it up.

T8300 is also Socket P.

So its possible. It should be physically and technically compatible. BUT, it will need to be supported by the bios.

To find that out you need to contact the manufacturer, or else ask the question on a HP-specific help forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,311 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

All told, it would be a minor upgrade for a lot of labor. What is the reason for this upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kanedmick

Overheal wrote: »
    All told, it would be a minor upgrade for a lot of labor. What is the reason for this upgrade?

Thanks all for the pointers. Well, no obvious reason really. Just wondered if it was something that could be done out of interest. I'm using this machine more as a media player/net.

Saw one of those bigger chips come up on Adverts so was thinking of upgrading. Did a bit of googling and me thinks it might be quite a bit of work for not much performance improvement for what I need.

Thanks!
    M.

Advertisement