Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foxsat-HDR auto-install and channel-editor

• 02-03-2011 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭

Now possible to move channel positions on Humax Foxsat hdr. Also possible to add non freesat channels to freesat epg.

Seen this thread in avforums:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1420633-foxsat-hdr-auto-install-channel-editor.html

Foxsat-HDR auto-install and channel-editor

Hello again,

It's been a while since i have posted something here; I have a nice new TV with build in DVB-S2 so my Humax is not my main satellite device anymore. It is great to see that others have picked up the develoment of new functionality on the Foxsat, well done Raydon and others.

I have created a new firmware file with an auto-install function. This means an new program can get installed by inserting a USB stick with a tar file, including the new application. This way installation of new programs is easier and others can make installer-files.

Download:
    Megaupload.com
    4Shared.com

The zip-package contains:

In directory Foxsat:
    FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf: firmware
    FOXSAT-HDR_install_telnet.tar.gz: telnet server installer
    FOXSAT-HDR_install_ftp.tar.gz: FTP server installer
    FOXSAT-HDR_install_samba.tar.gz: Samba server installer (thanks Raydon)
    FOXSAT-HDR_install_twonky.tar.gz: Twonky DLNA-server installer (also Raydon)
    FOXSAT-HDR_install_channeleditor.tar.gz channel list export/import installer
    FOXSAT-HDR_uninstall.tar.gz: un-installs all previous installed programs

In directory Windows:
    ChannelEditor.exe: Windows program to edit Foxsat-HDR channel-list (only tested on Windows Vista)

Installation of the firmware is as usual:
    After unzipping, place this file on a USB stick and connected it to the Foxsat device (in standby, front USB-port). Then push the power button (front-button) and KEEP it pressed until the download screen appears. Let the device finish until END shows up on the display. Turn off the device (back-button), unplug the USB-stick and power on the device again (with back-button). It will now start and stay in standby-mode, after this it can be turned on as normal with the front button or remote. The device is now configured to auto-install the other (tar.gz) files.

Installation of programs:
    Copy the included install-files containing the programs you want to install to the USB-stick. These files have a names like "FOXSAT-HDR_install_*.tar.gz", if you want to install Samba just copy "FOXSAT-HDR_install_samba.tar.gz" to the USB-stick. You can copy all installer-files together or as many as you like, the applications will get installed all in once. If the uninstall file (FOXSAT-HDR_uninstall.tar.gz) is also included on the USB-stick (together with the installer-files), previous programs will get removed before the new programs get installed. Please wait untill installation is done, it does not take very long but the Humax will reboot itself, this is normal.

But you can also put all the files together on a USB-stick (firmware and installer-files), and update the firmware and leave the USB-stick connected then. It will install everything (the programs) at first boot.

The most interresting part is the possibility to edit the channels on the Foxsat. You have to install the "FOXSAT-HDR_install_channeleditor.tar.gz" installer-file, this will extract the channel data from flash-memory and also will write modified data back. This way you also can backup you current channel list. After installation the channel-editor installer, you will find the file "FOXSAT-HDR_channels_backup.fcl" in the location "/media/Channels" on the Humax. You will have to retrieve this file with FTP or Samba. I have build a Windows program to edit this channel list (ChannelEditor.exe).

With the "ChannelEditor.exe" program you can drag and drop the channels, switch channels from Freesat to non-Freesat, renumber them (even from 1), rename them, etc. After finishing the channel list with this program, save the new list to "FOXSAT-HDR_channels_update.fcl" and copy it to "/media/Channels" on the Foxsat again. Turn off the Humax now (as normal) and reboot, the new channel-list will be stored and loaded.

Once again: There is little danger i trying this mod, you can switch back to the original firmware anytime. Just download it from Humax and deploy it the same way as described above (rename it to FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf). However: if you want to use this modification, it is at you own risk.

Any bugs or problems can be posted in this thread, so i can try to fix them.

USERNAME FOR FTP IS NOW: root (no password)
    telnet and samba also have no password.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

This will be very very nice for Saorsat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

watty wrote: »
    This will be very very nice for Saorsat!

Maybe jumping the gun there a bit. Non freesat channels display no epg info in freesat mode. So unless saorsat adapts freesat epg structure (Which i doubt) the Saorsat channels will display no info in freesat mode.

Also if you have a series link set in HDR, and you are watching a non freesat channel (saorsat channel) that you have added to freesat mode, the timer for recording will not kick in. The humax thinks its in non freesat mode. You have to switch to a freesat channel for timer to activate.

But hopefully somebody can overcome these setbacks.

One solution is for RTE to provide full EPG info to Freesat to be added to it's Carosel. Can be limited to NI postcodes, where RTE is mandated to cover. (no actual program content on 28.2/28.5, that would all be on 9E).

Have you tried any 19.2E channel via diseqc on Humax with this (say a German) that has the 7 day DVB-EIT EPG? (That will likely be on 9E Ka-Sat). I have put a copy here if anyone is having trouble with the download. Do READ ALL the thread here first!

Sky News etc is no test as it has no Full DVB-EIT EPG, only the Sky Open TV EPG.

(OT: maybe Freesat should buy Sky News. It's for sale and Murdoch has said sale will include long term subsidy!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

givecredit wrote: »
    Maybe jumping the gun there a bit. Non freesat channels display no epg info in freesat mode. So unless saorsat adapts freesat epg structure (Which i doubt) the Saorsat channels will display no info in freesat mode.

Also if you have a series link set in HDR, and you are watching a non freesat channel (saorsat channel) that you have added to freesat mode, the timer for recording will not kick in. The humax thinks its in non freesat mode. You have to switch to a freesat channel for timer to activate.

But hopefully somebody can overcome these setbacks.
    Thanks for highlighting this new feature. I've been keeping an eye on the AV Forum thread and a few minor issues have cropped up with this new firmware, including the issue of Freesat recording timers not being honoured if you are viewing a channel migrated across from non-Freesat. The firmware as released "breaks" the earlier firmware add-ons from raydon (telnet, samba, ftp and his AV2HDR utility), because of the use of different usernames/passwords by mogie. He is also storing the utilities in a different partition on disk for some reason and has used a different busybox binary which may cause issues if you want to replace or upgrade the hard disk at a future date . I have the earlier utilities installed and they work well for me. I, for one, won't be downloading this particular set of firmware until some of the "wrinkles" are worked out, but it will be a great facility once it is stable.

watty - I know you have put a copy of the firmware on techtir, but do you have a means of keeping it up-to-date if it is updated by mogie, as it certainly will change over the next days and weeks?

• Advertisement

If I notice or someone tells me, I can delete the old version and put up the new version

I thought I had an account once for AVForums... I can make another or someone with an account can suggest "mogie" sign up on Techtir (no adverts, no spammers, no trolls or nutcases, no strings and loads of upload allowance). Then mogie can update

Those other places are a pain.

fat-tony wrote: »
    a few minor issues have cropped up with this new firmware, including the issue of Freesat recording timers not being honoured if you are viewing a channel migrated across from non-Freesat. The firmware as released "breaks" the earlier firmware add-ons from raydon (telnet, samba, ftp and his AV2HDR utility), because of the use of different usernames/passwords by mogie. .

Just to update;

The recording problem has been sorted. You need to turn off auto recording mode and set it to -3 +3 or -2 +2

Hopefully the problems with telnet, samba, ftp and his AV2HDR utility can be sorted/agreed between raydon and Mogie

I think problems continue. Channels moved from non-Freesat to Freesat mode seem to be reset during overnight housekeeping. The developer "mogie" seems to be working to fix this. I will continue to adopt a "wait and see" attitude to this development until it stabilises. The original ftp/twonky/samba development was rock solid and is broken by this firmware. In my view, mogie needs to re-think his approach so that his work is compatible with the earlier developments done by raydon and others and not rush to publish work which hasn't been thoroughly tested.

In my view, mogie needs to re-think his approach so that his work is compatible with the earlier developments done by raydon and others and not rush to publish work which hasn't been thoroughly tested.

Mogie has said his new fix will entail a compatible version to raydon. His channel editor also needs some fixing, which he is also working on.

You are right to wait. Bacically is only in beta testing at the moment. But fair play to him. The channel editor will be a great enhancement to the already super HDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

I think problems continue. Channels moved from non-Freesat to Freesat mode seem to be reset during overnight housekeeping. The developer "mogie" seems to be working to fix this. I will continue to adopt a "wait and see" attitude to this development until it stabilises. The original ftp/twonky/samba development was rock solid and is broken by this firmware. In my view, mogie needs to re-think his approach so that his work is compatible with the earlier developments done by raydon and others and not rush to publish work which hasn't been thoroughly tested.

Very harsh, IMO. It was mogie who opened up the HDR in the first place, and made all this possible. There were no earlier develpments.

• Advertisement

Not harsh - just good practice. Soft launch new software to restricted alpha/beta testers, then place software on public download once the initial wrinkles are ironed out!
    When mogie first launched the telnet and ftp utilities back in January it was a great step forward. Raydon built on this with the samba and Twonky utilities and maintained the mount points and user/password structures started by mogie. Subsequently raydon released an update to his AV2HDR software which also used the ftp server built into the new firmware. With this new release, mogie has essentially "forked" the development using different user/password and mount points etc. which are not backward compatible with his and raydon's earlier releases. This is fine if you want to experiment, but not for the less experienced. It will be a great facility when it's working, but it seems to have opened up some divisions between the developers because of the way it was released as evidenced by the postings on avforums.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

Not harsh - just good practice. Soft launch new software to restricted alpha/beta testers, then place software on public download once the initial wrinkles are ironed out!
    When mogie first launched the telnet and ftp utilities back in January it was a great step forward. Raydon built on this with the samba and Twonky utilities and maintained the mount points and user/password structures started by mogie. Subsequently raydon released an update to his AV2HDR software which also used the ftp server built into the new firmware. With this new release, mogie has essentially "forked" the development using different user/password and mount points etc. which are not backward compatible with his and raydon's earlier releases. This is fine if you want to experiment, but not for the less experienced. It will be a great facility when it's working, but it seems to have opened up some divisions between the developers because of the way it was released as evidenced by the postings on avforums.

I would agree with all the above, if, this were commercial software. However, it is not - it is built by enthusiasts, for fellow enthusiasts. As such it will always be "alpha" software and expecting commercial levels of good practice is unfair. (The resources required to do any substantial test are well beyond most private users, no matter how able or willing.)

The effort involved in multiple developers colloborating is also substantial, and could well discourage other developers who might wish to get involved. IMO what is more important is that, in itself, each individual release is stable and suitable for home use. (Albeit, at each individuals own risk.)

Some oil has been poured on troubled waters over at avforums:) Raydon has packaged together the various firmware developments including mogies channel editor into one bundle, with installers and uninstallers provided. It merges all the work onto one mount point and set a naming and usage standard for others to follow. Mogie has posted his thanks to raydon for this work and hopes to release an update to the channel editor which will hopefully fix the bugs.

Have you a link? I'll update this --> http://www.techtir.ie/node/1003689 (partially updated with new AVforums thread and old download removed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

Hi, will this only work with the Foxsat HDR?

reason i ask is i have an LG 7700 TV with a built in tuner.

i received a free Humax/Foxsat HD receiver from LG when the BBCi player was added, LG for whatever reason could not update the LG tuner software,and as a 'goodwill' gesture gave away the free Foxsats(think the real reason was LG had signed a contract that the Freesat Logo could only be used if the makers promised to keep updating software as Freesat developed)

so i have a Foxsat HD(no recorder) that i can risk thrashing.

it would be brilliant to add non Freesat channels to a single EPG as the non Freesat mode is a real pain,anything new like Ch4 HD needs a rescan which deletes any changes made by me to the non Freesat option.?

It's specifically for the Foxsat HDR model. Most of the firmware modifications are to do with allowing you to share or distribute recorded programmes from the hard disk to other devices around the home, including PCs and DLNA-enabled devices, so not of relevance if you have no HDR.
    As you are referring to the channel editor capability, I'd suggest you check out the avforums website where the software creators post their stuff and will answer specific questions.

watty wrote: »
    Have you a link? I'll update this --> http://www.techtir.ie/node/1003689 (partially updated with new AVforums thread and old download removed)

Just an update on the new firmware. Several folks (myself included) have had some minor issues with the ftp client (tinyftp) bundled with the release. Raydon is going to issue an update (maybe tonight), so you may need to update your hosted version or maybe link back to where raydon is hosting the archive file.

I'll update again when a new one comes out.

I've warned people in the page to check the original Forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

It's specifically for the Foxsat HDR model. Most of the firmware modifications are to do with allowing you to share or distribute recorded programmes from the hard disk to other devices around the home, including PCs and DLNA-enabled devices, so not of relevance if you have no HDR.
    As you are referring to the channel editor capability, I'd suggest you check out the avforums website where the software creators post their stuff and will answer specific questions.

Cheers fat-tony thank you for that very helpful reply!

• Advertisement
Advertisement