Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nice pub or the north inner city

Options
  • 02-03-2011 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

i am looking for a nice pub in D1 with 20 or 30 somethings, where the customers are friendly as are the bar staff. the kind of place where they know you if you go in often enough.
    any ideas.

have tried The Celt, but a bit too Oirish and touristy. all other bars around are either old man (a good mix of the sexes would be also good) or very impersonal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the bachelor inn on bachelor walk. hasnt changed much since louis fitzgerald took over (only prices went up)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

The Welcome Inn, on Parnell Street. Looks a bit scary from the outside, but it's exactly what you've described. You won't be dissapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

hi there

Try the Boars head Capel St (on the corner across from the now defunct Rhodes restaurant and on the luas track)

Great little boozer, good food, great beer and a great place to watch all sports.
    Small crew run it, owner manager and one or two more so there always gonna recognise you.

A great friendly spot (and yes I am a regular) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

If you're willing to walk a little further, there are a number of options in the smithfield direction. The Cobblestone, Dice Bar, Sin É, and Frank Ryan's are all pretty nice spots. There's also Hughes' Bar, near the Four Courts Luas stop. Another one I was in recently, which I found to be nice enough was T.P. Smiths, across from the Jervis Centre entrance on the Luas line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

doughef wrote: »
    hi there

Try the Boars head Capel St (on the corner across from the now defunct Rhodes restaurant and on the luas track)

Great little boozer, good food, great beer and a great place to watch all sports.
    Small crew run it, owner manager and one or two more so there always gonna recognise you.

JM McNeil, also on Capel Street is a nice cosy spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

the bachelor inn on bachelor walk. hasnt changed much since louis fitzgerald took over (only prices went up)

The seats at the front were replaced with high tables at the front and they raised the floor in the back. And bloody speakers in the back, so there is no getting away from the music if you want a chat. And wasn't impressed with the staff.
    I like the Gin Palace on Abbey street, decent pints, good staff and if you get the tables by the windows on the Liffey street side, you are out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The Welcome Inn, on Parnell Street. Looks a bit scary from the outside, but it's exactly what you've described. You won't be dissapointed.

Great spot. I've enjoyed many's the Friday night in there.
    If you're willing to walk a little further, there are a number of options in the smithfield direction. The Cobblestone, Dice Bar, Sin É, and Frank Ryan's are all pretty nice spots. There's also Hughes' Bar, near the Four Courts Luas stop. Another one I was in recently, which I found to be nice enough was T.P. Smiths, across from the Jervis Centre entrance on the Luas line.

Unfortunately Sin E closed down.

O'Byrne's on Capel Street is great. It used to be a Booze 2 Go but is now a great place for midweek pints. It's up at the very end of Capel Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Molloy's on a Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

was not sure if you were taking the piss or not, but I ventured in anyway unsure if i would be able to leave alive.

friendly customers and staff,decor has not changed since time began. a decent pint, albeit 4.50. a few more women about the place would have been great. i will be back.

doughef wrote: »
    hi there

supposed to be a Cavan pub. i will check it out within the week

• Advertisement

The seats at the front were replaced with high tables at the front and they raised the floor in the back. And bloody speakers in the back, so there is no getting away from the music if you want a chat. And wasn't impressed with the staff.
    I like the Gin Palace on Abbey street, decent pints, good staff and if you get the tables by the windows on the Liffey street side, you are out of the way.

what was wrong with the staff? ideally there should be places in the pub where the music is at background level.

Gin Place is supposed to be good.

does anyone know Mother Kellys in Talbot street. is it really Oirish and old mannish?

checked out Graingers which was full, but only guys.

was in Kates Cottage, which can be handy if waiting on a bus, but impersonal and indifferent staff.

madigans in O connell street can be good. sometimes live music on a friday or Saturday, though it can be hit and miss. the last time i was there the guy refused to play any irish songs.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Molloy's on a Friday night.

street?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Buck

The Sackville Loung on Sackville Place is a nice quiet spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Fuinseog wrote: »
    street?

Google Molloy's in Dublin and you will find it's on Talbot st!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

The Cobblestone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

JM McNeil, also on Capel Street is a nice cosy spot.

Great place for a pint or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Fuinseog wrote: »
    what was wrong with the staff? ideally there should be places in the pub where the music is at background level.
    Not friendly, and I didnt really take to being told to hurry up and get out every 2 minutes or so around midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Buck wrote: »
    The Sackville Loung on Sackville Place is a nice quiet spot.

Lovely little pub. There a couple of Talbot Street that are nice old man type pubs; Sean O'Caseys and Briodys

fontanalis wrote: »
    Lovely little pub. There a couple of Talbot Street that are nice old man type pubs; Sean O'Caseys and Briodys

old man pubs are friendly, but I am hoping to meet people my own age group- late 20s, early 30s., unfortunately younger people are less approachable. the women are only in superpubs after a certain hour?

some people say the Church is supposed to be good, other pretentious. any opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭AnalogueKid

The Dice Bar, down in Smithfield is a great spot. Friendly customers, very friendly staff, nice vibe and great music. One of the few pubs you might get to see the local rapscallions cycling their bikes through the bar - they know the staff are totally laid back so they really take liberties, without taking the piss (they usually end up getting a bottle of TK between them if they *%#@ off).

If you narrow it down to Smithfield, Parnell Street and Capel Street you probably won't go too far wrong.

Not a fan of the pubs on Abbey St and Liffey Street myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

hop house (formerly known as the shakespeare) has a mid 20s-30s crowd (or did when i was last there), as does the welcome inn.

both on parnell street.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

deaddonkey wrote: »
    hop house (formerly known as the shakespeare) has a mid 20s-30s crowd (or did when i was last there), as does the welcome inn.

both on parnell street.

I saw a post recommending the Hop House as a good beer garden! When I went there it was small, not the cleanest, and smelled of takeaway.:o

Advertisement