Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism in DIT

Options
  • 02-03-2011 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Could anyone who's doing it tell me whether they like it or not and why?

What days and hours per day are you timetabled for?

Are the people on your course nice? I see its a small enough course so do you guys all get along?

Do you have exams or is it continual assessment? And do you make presentations to the whole class?

Answer anything you like if you can, Im just trying to figure out the structure of the course thanks :)

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 194 ✭✭KidKeith89

I'm doing the MA in International Journalism if you want some info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

daisyaikou wrote: »
    Could anyone who's doing it tell me whether they like it or not and why?

What days and hours per day are you timetabled for?

Are the people on your course nice? I see its a small enough course so do you guys all get along?

Do you have exams or is it continual assessment? And do you make presentations to the whole class?

Answer anything you like if you can, Im just trying to figure out the structure of the course thanks :)

I did it for 2 years but left it to work at home, was in the first group of straight journo so if you want to know anything just ask!
    The group has a maximum of 20, we ended up with 14 or something withing weeks, then we had 3 more join in second year from a FETAC course or something (never fully remembered how they got in :pac:) and they just became a part of the group! We all got on well together, but there were a couple of set groups that would sit together and have lunch etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 penpusher

hiya

currently in second year of Journalism without a language. We do a lot with the Journalism with languages class this year so overall there are about 32 of us, of all ages.
    Lots of different sub-groups, but we all get along as a rule. It was mainly individual work in first year, second year is a lot more working together and a lot more fun.
    Not exactly full-time in terms of class time - 16 hours first year, 13 this, but this year the projects take a lot of what we thought would be spare time:)
    Not a lot of presentation work.
    Continuous assessment much more favoured this year and is growing trend for DIT.
    All I would say is, if you really want to be a journalist, I'd suggest choosing a subject you could be an expert in/have background in e.g. business, finance, English and doing a degree in that, and then following up with an MA in journalism - personally I think 4 years for a journalism degree is far too drawn out and I know many in class feel same - it's more of a craft than a body of knowledge.
    Hope this helps

Advertisement