Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Combine 2 Wireless Routers

• 02-03-2011 6:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭

This could probably be in Servers or Broadband perhaps?

I'm just after some advice for combining 2 routers.
    My Setup is

Telephone line
    |
    \/
    Zyxel Router (Wi-fi and DHCP Disabled)
    |
    \/
    8 Port Network Switch - > Local Clients running on StaticIPs
    |
    \/
    Home Server (Assigned Own Static IP)

My goal here is to attach a 2nd router (Netopia) somewhere in this network, which will give me wi-fi, but not allow access to the home server or screw up the Zyxel by nicking too much traffic.

I'm thinking, attach it directly to the zyxel router with a cat5 cable, change a few admin settings on the Netopia and bob's your uncle?
    I guess I just need to know what settings to use on said Netopia.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What you're looking for is a wireless access point.
    To make the Netopia behave like an access point, You must login and disable dhcp on it and sellotape over the dsl port. You should let the Zyxcel handle dhcp and all routing and firewall to the internet. Not sure why you've dhcp disabled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

DHCP disabled for security. Was easier at the time too, to just run all the local clients off static IPs.

I've now disabled the DHCP on the netopia. I'd prefer to stick with my current setup if it's all the same, so any other details I need to change here.

I imagine I at least change the 192.168.1.254 address on it, since that might conflict with the zyxel on the same addy.

Do I assign the netopia it's own static IP too, like the clients?
    Do I/Can I set some bandwith restrictions on it, so as not to bleed my wired zyxel system dry, lol.

BTW, for all intents and purposes, I would like this netopia wi-fi to work as if it was a primary router, so if my mate came over with her laptop, I give her the wep key and voila, she's online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Disabling dhcp is daft and gives absolutely no extra security. I think you're being a little bit paranoid here, a good secure WPA2 key is all you need. You can still assign static ip's outside the DHCP pool and You can always use mac filtering to limit allowed devices to ones you know. I've got my Linksys router doing static DHCP, where it gives the same ip to my devices known by mac address (doubt the Zyxel does this but it should at least do mac filtering).

The Netopia doesn't get a static ip as this would be assigned to the dsl port, which you're not using as its not routing but behaving like a switch with only lan ports used. You're right, You'll need to change its lan ip to one different to the Zxyel to avoid a conflict. The Netopia would still work as a wifi access point if needed, but with DHCP disabled on both devices it'd need static ip on wireless card to work (not a great idea, would need to be added and removed each time its connected)

Advertisement