Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Aurora Display Last Night

Options
  • 02-03-2011 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,

Here is a short report I wrote on witnessing my first Aurora display from Donegal last night.
    http://www.donegalskies.com/in-the-skies

I hope to add some photos that the guy I was observing the display along with took. Waiting on him to email them to me. Unfortunately my camera was out of action... Typical!

Was anyone else lucky enough to witness this spectacular event last night?

Clear Skies,

Brendan
    www.DonegalSkies.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Great pics- the one from Ballyliffin is amazing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Incredible pics. I actually gasped at some...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Fab photos ;)

Really Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Donegal Skies

After witnessing my first aurora display at the start of the month, I couldn’t believe my luck when I saw the aurora forecast charts for tonight (10/11 March 2011).

I had a very busy evening with work and the like so I didn’t get a chance to head to a dark site on till almost midnight. My camera is still out of action (like it was for my first display) so I had to get a loan of one. The weather was terrible all evening but there were only a few, very brief clear spells all evening so I headed up to Hornhead, on the north coast of Donegal hoping for the best. When I arrived at the site at 00:30, no sooner had I the camera on the tripod when an almightyfull hail shower started. Cue the mad dash for the car!! Resulting in me breaking my shutter release cable, not a problem I had a spare in the car….. Only I had no batteries for it!! Ok, so now I am limited to 30sec exposures. The shower passes and I head back out to the gale force winds only to see the only patch of sky with cloud was the north, typical!! I struggle in the wind for the next while and the cloud continued to linger to the north. I eventually packed it in after capturing this fairly poor image but working in the gale force wind, on the top of a cliff on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean was almost impossible! But Still my first, albeit poor aurora image!

[URL="[URL]http://www.flickr.com/photos/48625409@N02/5516772314/"]5516772314_0e4a229960_z.jpg[/URL]
    Time & Date: 01:30 11 March 2011
    Camera: Canon 1000D & 18-55mm kit lens
    Settings: 30sec, ISO 1600, FL:18mm F:3.5

BTW, there is a great chance of aurora activity tonight. Watch the charts if your interested in seeing them and you don't mind taking on the weather.

All the best,

Brendan

Advertisement