Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Club

Options
  • 02-03-2011 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Is anyone interested in a book club? Once a month in Dublin City.
    I am interested in reading American, Japaneses, Russian etc. Foreign writers basically. I thought the rule of the book club could be any writer but Irish!

Let me know your thoughts.

( I know there is already a reading club on here but just wanted to start a new one.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MonkeySocks24

Franny and Zooey J.D. Salinger
    Wolfy and the Strudelbakers Zvi Jagendorf
    The Old Gringo Carlos Fuentes
    The Alchemist Paulo Coelho

I was thinking we could read one of those four for the first meeting?

no takers then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Well you've only left it a few days! But to be honest, I'd say there's probably not enough difference between what you're suggesting and the one that is already in existance. Apart from the fact that occasional Irish book is chosen.

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    Well you've only left it a few days! But to be honest, I'd say there's probably not enough difference between what you're suggesting and the one that is already in existance. Apart from the fact that occasional Irish book is chosen.

Maybe but they have also been running for a long time and have already read a lot of books.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

I'd go. My vote would be for Franny and Zooey J.D. Salinger.

• Advertisement

I'd go. My vote would be for Franny and Zooey J.D. Salinger.

Good choice ;).

Well if you manage to get this going just let me know the details and when I've to read Franny and Zooey by and I'll be there.

Well if you manage to get this going just let me know the details and when I've to read Franny and Zooey by and I'll be there.

Great. Will do. I am hoping a few more will be interested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

What exactly happens in book clubs? Do they take place in pubs?

I like the idea of a book club but shudder at the thought of Jordans latest novel being mooted... (Basically I want a pretentious bookclub :p)

Well in book clubs I have participated in, they generally meet in pubs, but anywhere central with appropriate seating is usually suitable. What happens is someone starts off with 'I hated/loved the book because.....' and then other people respond with their opinions on the book and everyone partakes in a relaxed* debate about the book.

A good book club is a great way to meet people with varied interests in books as well as a general good social night out. In my mind you can never be a member of too many book clubs! (and I've never been to a book club where Jordan is the author of choice!)

*on the odd occasion things can get heated if it is a controversial book, but generally cool heads prevail.

• Advertisement

Denerick wrote: »
    What exactly happens in book clubs? Do they take place in pubs?

I like the idea of a book club but shudder at the thought of Jordans latest novel being mooted... (Basically I want a pretentious bookclub :p)

I don't know! This is will be the first one I attended :).
    There will be no books about Jordan I can assure you!
    What do you like to read? I suggested four possible books for the first meeting.

Franny and Zooey J.D. Salinger
    Wolfy and the Strudelbakers Zvi Jagendorf
    The Old Gringo Carlos Fuentes
    The Alchemist Paulo Coelho

Do you like the sound of any of them?

I wanted to read foreign writers. Anything but Irish books! OR books about Jordan come to think of it or Football!

I was thinking of the IFI cafe to start off with. You can get tea/coffee or a pint!

IFI cafe sounds good to me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I don't live in Dublin at the moment, but may do so in the forseeable future. Would be interested in doing something like this eventually.

IFI cafe sounds good to me!

Yeah it's a good location. Will I set a date or wait to see if a few more are interested?

Denerick wrote: »
    I don't live in Dublin at the moment, but may do so in the forseeable future. Would be interested in doing something like this eventually.

Ah okay. Well hopefully a few more will be interested!

Yeah it's a good location. Will I set a date or wait to see if a few more are interested?
    I suppose give it another few days and see if we have any more takers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I'm half interested but hang on- why dont you want to read Irish books?

kerash wrote: »
    I'm half interested but hang on- why dont you want to read Irish books?

Because I want to read foreign books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DuckSubmarine

Would definitely be up for something like this. Doing a Masters in the evenings, so would only be available from about half seven on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Totally free whenever else though :). Love Catcher in the Rye so more Salinger is sure to be amazing!

I'm free every evening and all weekend so I don't mind what day is picked.

• Advertisement

I'm free every evening and all weekend so I don't mind what day is picked.
    Would definitely be up for something like this. Doing a Masters in the evenings, so would only be available from about half seven on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Totally free whenever else though :). Love Catcher in the Rye so more Salinger is sure to be amazing!

What about 7.30ish on a Tuesday then? Just need to pick a date now.

What about 7.30ish on a Tuesday then? Just need to pick a date now.
    Tuesday is fine for me. How does the 22nd of March sound to people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DuckSubmarine

7 30, 22nd should be grand (bus permitting). Will get reading in any case...

Tuesday is fine for me. How does the 22nd of March sound to people?
    7 30, 22nd should be grand (bus permitting). Will get reading in any case...

22nd sound good.

22nd of March, 7.30 @IFI Cafe

Book: Franny and Zooey J.D Salinger

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭MardiB

I'm interested but there is no way I'm rereading the alchemist and I'm not sure about the ban on Irish authors.

MardiB wrote: »
    I'm interested but there is no way I'm rereading the alchemist and I'm not sure about the ban on Irish authors.

The Alchemist was only one of the choices for first meet up.
    We are reading J.D.Salinger for the first meet up.

Well the rule of the book club in that there are no Irish writers. I wanted to read foreign writers. So, maybe it isn't for you?
    There is another book club on here and they have been running for quite a while, maybe that be more your thing? That seems to read a lot of Irish writers.

Just want to bump this up to make sure everyone who may be interested in it sees it.

Also, I'll probably be in the IFI a little early so look out for a girl in black and cream, reading a book called 'Black Like Me' and I'll have 'Franny and Zooey' on the table as well. Hopefully you should be able to spot me! Looking forward to the meeting.

I'm really sorry but I can't make it due to illness :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Hey there,

I wasn't sure if your meeting is going ahead tonight but if it's not, then you're all welcome to come along to the Book Crossing meeting, on tonight also:

Book Crossers - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055897240&page=3

Dublin, Ireland meetup - **TOMORROW** Tuesday 22nd March 2011

On Tuesday 22nd March you can find bookcrossers at The Longstone Pub on Townsend St (near the Garda station), from about 7.30pm. All welcome!

Look for the table piled with books. We will be in the snug to one side of the bar. Keep following the bar around until you hit us, or ask a member of staff who will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Food is available until 9pm if you fancy a bite.
    All boardsies are especially welcome!

Just mention the word "boardsie" to me and I'll make sure you get a free book!

Advertisement