Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pine Marten - New Ross County Wexford

Options
  • 02-03-2011 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi - this morning I spotted a pine marten which was knocked down just outside New Ross. I only saw an article on the BBC's One Show about them so couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this ' rare ' animal.

I'd appreciate some advice. Not sure how rare or valuable to research this critter is - I took it home and have it perserved with ice.
    Who should I contact regarding this pine marten and do you think holding on to the dead animal would be worthwhile until I find out whether it is of use to Scientists/researchers ect?

How commom are they in Wexford? I read they are in the West and South of the country. Is it really Ireland's rarest mammal?

Any discussion about these Pine Martens welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

There was a research programme being run out of WIT, it was featured on Living the Wildlife one week.

Unfortunately they don't have any details of it on their page - Series 2, Episode 2.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/livingthewildlife/episodes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24 TheApophis

Thanks for that link - i'll have a look at it.

I have photo's and I'll post them up here soon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Give Prof Tom Hayden of UCD Zoology Dept a buzz on this since AFAIK he is doing research into the expanding range of the species in Ireland:)

Thanks for that contact Birdnuts.

Here's the photo of the pine marten. Pretty sure it's a pine marten (open to correction) - poor fella didn't really seem to have a nick on him.

Any idea how old this one could be? Might be young - its teeth are pearly white; coat and tail seemed in good shape. Male or Female?

Has anyone else seen them in Wexford?

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

What a shame. These are beautiful animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

Dr. Peter Turner is the man your looking for down in Waterford IT - contact details on this link http://www2.wit.ie/Research/ResearchGroupsCentres/Groups/EIRC/People/Peter%20Turner/

He was the researcher featured on Living the wildlife.

Yes - they are beautiful creatures. I couldn't believe it when I saw it on the otherside of the road. My passenger thought it was just a fox and couldn't understand why I wanted to turn back and check it out.

I didn't get to see that RTE program when it was on TV so thanks for searching out the WIT contact for me Trizo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

They are indeed lovely. I had the privilege of living in an old isolated cottage that had been empty long enough for a pine marten to make it part of her territory. I lived alongside her and her young a few years. leaving food for her etc. Magical time. Smiling at the memories.

Hi everyone. Thanks for the contacts you gave me. WIT's Dr Peter Turner and Dr Catherine O'Reilly are very interested in the Marten.

I was also in touch with the NPWS and Dr Ferdia Marnell contacted me wanting to add the record to the national database. Any sighting or even road kill are very important - I've learned!

Ferdia gave me a link to a distribution map which does need updating as it was published in 2007 but is still interesting to view:

http://www.npws.ie/en/media/Media,5299,en.pdf

Also here is a report on the Marten's status in Ireland for those of you how are interested:

http://www.npws.ie/en/media/Media,6280,en.pdf

Tony Murray the Conservation Ranger for South Wexford is also involved in this record. So even though the poor critter was killed he will still give valuable information for conservation efforts and research into his species!

The Pine Marten is due to go to WIT soon and hopefully they'll be able to get plenty of useful data from it.

I'll keep you updated!

Bye Bye

• Registered Users Posts: 45 wildwolf1

NUI Galway are also running a survey for red squirrels and pine martens, you can fill in a form at www.woodlandmammals.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement