Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing your dog to US for a year? Any info please

Options
  • 02-03-2011 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

We are moving to the US for a year & hope to take our dog with us,
    we are travelling to phoenix, Arizona,
    Aerlingus will take us to O'Hare & United Airline the rest of the way,
    has anyone heard of this being possible & if so what procedures are there?
    if anyone has any info please let me know as im worried this will not be able to happen..

Thanks alot..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Myself and my fianceé moved to the US last may and brought our dog with us. Alot depends on the time of the year that you travel. On the dublin to chicago you won't have a problem, but there can be limitations with your connecting flight. Cargo bays on transatlantic planes are climate controlled and can carry animals year round but most domestic planes in the US don't have climate control so don't carry animals during extreme cold or during the summer.

There's also alot of medical stuff to go through.....nothing major but certainly enough to make sure you'll be busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

It's definitely possible. Make sure you tell the airline ahead of time, as there are limitations as mentioned above, plus some airlines only have space for a certain number of dogs, so if one was booked on the flight before you, yours may not get on. There is also a fee.

You will need a FAA approved pet carrier (sturdy, big enough for your size of dog) and a pet passport (so dog doesn't have to go through lengthy quarantaine on the way back!).

As an aside, make sure to check with your US landlord that they allow pets- many do not or if they do, will require an extra- sometimes non-refundable- pet deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

We've done it twice and its not difficult. There's airline approved kennels (usually close to the airport) that should be able to take care of all the details for you.

However you're only talking about one year? Be aware of how difficult it is to bring an animal from the US to ireland.

They have to be quarantined in an approved (i.e. Expensive) kennel for six months. Thats expensive (20 a day?) and not fun for Fluffy either.

http://www.movetoireland.com/movepag/petover.htm

Advertisement