Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locksmith Trespass & Damage in Wrong Apt - ADVICE ?

• 02-03-2011 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Girlfriend got a call at the weekend from a neighbour to say a locksmith had got into her apartment and changed the lock.
    -He went to the WRONG Apartment. The alarm going off didn't seem to offer any hints.

She got a new lock put in by another locksmith because she didn't feel safe. (The original locksmith wasn't overly apologetic)

Has asked the locksmith who broke into her place to cover the cost but has been told to take a running jump.

Suggestions or advice ?

Note - I haven't got involved yet and am trying to be diplomatic when I do. . . .

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Very reasonable request asking them to cover new lock costs and any damage to door/frame.

Formal (written sent registered mail) complaint followed by small claims id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Might be worth asking the locksmith who your girlfriend hire if their is anybody that locksmiths have to register with and report him if there is.

To be honest I would be very unhappy with his response (I suspect because he is dealing with a female) and I would go down a legal route whether by the courts or reporting him for breaking and entry to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Report him to the Gardaí, how do you know he doesn't regularly do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

151 wrote: »
    Girlfriend got a call at the weekend from a neighbour to say a locksmith had got into her apartment and changed the lock.
    Report him to the Gardai. Check for anything missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

Del2005 wrote: »
    Report him to the Gardaí, how do you know he doesn't regularly do this?
    the_syco wrote: »
    Report him to the Gardai. Check for anything missing.

I agree essentially he broke into your GF's home so report it and let the Guards handle it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

AS others said, a report could be made to the Gardai about him. Also, do as Cabaal suggests in order to get the cost of the new locks refunded.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Formal (written sent registered mail) complaint followed by small claims id say

Since this was in an apartment building, she should find out how the lock smith gained access to the building first. Did the building management company know about this, or had they any involvement? Contacting building management first might be the best thing to do, then take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

He broke into your girlfriends home, it doesn't matter if he was a locksmith or postman.

He damaged private property, you have no contract with him so I don't know if it is a small claims case.

Probably worth calling into your local garda station, ask them if it is a criminal or civil matter. It could be sorted with one phone call from the station if your lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Please bare in mind that had you not known any neighbours, the locksmith would have in essence given your house key to a stranger.

Added to this, had you been on holiday when this had happened, christ knows what could have happened.

I'd call for his head ask the Gardai to investigate this practise, to see if he has had any other "mistakes" like this, giving him a set of keys for their houses...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I had the same thing happen a few years ago when a locksmith broke in and claimed he had the wrong door, although how you confuse a 7 and 9 i dont know. I called the Guards to report it and they took all the details and asked if anything was missing etc. they were taking it quite seriously.

The locksmith had replaced an expensive lock with one from his own shop and said we could keep that but he ended up paying to put everything back as it was Plus a little more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I know it has already been said but you really have no choice but to contatc the Gardaí without delay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There's something lurking at the back of my head that locksmiths have to be vetted by Gardai, or something to that effect.

I think a quick trip down to the local Garda Station, where you can ask about this guy, is the best thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i have to lighten the situation here, i really can't help this, but it must be shown

oh, and really, do call the guards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

dudara wrote: »
    There's something lurking at the back of my head that locksmiths have to be vetted by Gardai, or something to that effect.

They dont, I just double-checked with my brother (locksmith of over 15 years) and there is no Garda veting required.
    I think a quick trip down to the local Garda Station, where you can ask about this guy, is the best thing to do.

This is the best course of action. Also remember OP, that even if it turns out the locksmith had legitimate reasons for being there to open a door (apartment owners wanted to change the locks on some other tenant), he certainly shouldn't have started to open any door without an owner being present, I'd question that if he tried to deflect responsibility to the management of the apartment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If its not allowed by the forum rules, then this question can be ignored/deleted, but can the OP name the locksmiths involved?

Please do not name the locksmith in question

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Please do not name the locksmith in question

dudara

Sorry, I removed the question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Mr Locksmith

This would be my worst nightmare.If it happened to me i would replace the door lock with the most secure lock i could find.Say sorry 5 million times and buy the tenant a gift voucher for a meal or a bottle of wine.
    I would report it to the local crime prevention officer just to make sure it was a once off.
    Shame on this locksmith fool gives the rest of us a bad name.

Advertisement